So do blow outs cause split ends?

• Thread starter Thread starter chica_canella
  • Start date Start date
C

chica_canella

My new hair dresser splits the hair in four sections, puts a small amount of heat protectant in my hair and uses a padded brush to blow dry each section with a ion blow dryer.

I have split ends at some of the ends but I am thinking of just getting braids after this last appointment and letting my hair grow out. The reason I am getting braids is because it won't be any manipulation of my hair and pulling and my hair can just grow out, then I will trim.

I also bought Robin's Super Potent Amino Acid vitamins which give about 3/4 inch of new growth a month.

What do you all think?

chica_canella said:
My new hair dresser splits the hair in four sections, puts a small amount of heat protectant in my hair and uses a padded brush to blow dry each section with a ion blow dryer.

I have split ends at some of the ends but I am thinking of just getting braids after this last appointment and letting my hair grow out. The reason I am getting braids is because it won't be any manipulation of my hair and pulling and my hair can just grow out, then I will trim.

I also bought Robin's Super Potent Amino Acid vitamins which give about 3/4 inch of new growth a month.

What do you all think?

I advise you to get a trim or dusting to get rid of the split ends that you already do have. The vitamin you mentioned might give you growth, but you will probably have difficulty retaining length if you don't nip that in the bud before you get the braids. As a long time braid wearer my self, I just assumed that because my hair would be kept protected I wouldn't need to trim. WRONG!!! I ended up cutting off a lot, and had to start over. IMO braids don't do anything but lessen the amount of daily manipulation, which helps to retain length. If you start out with unhealthy strands the problem will just get worse because it is more difficult IMO to assess your hair's needs and take care of it as you would if your hair was out.

Also, is your stylist blowing your hair out every time? Are they blowing out the entire length? If so, why. I personally think that is too much heat. And believe me, I used to go to the Dominicans. My hair was dry as hell. Now I realize that it was only necessary to roller set.

HTH

I'm not sure if blow outs will cause split ends but they can certainly contribute to breakage, which in my opinion, can be worse :ohwell:

I agree with CoCo Espresso. You should definitely trim your hair before you put it in braids. Split ends are like a weed. If you don't get ride of it the problem will just get worse.

And the blow dryer could be making your hair really dry, damaging your hair and causing it to split. That's what happened to my hair. I had to cut off inches after messing around with too much heat from the Egyptians.

ajoyfuljoy said:
And the blow dryer could be making your hair really dry, damaging your hair and causing it to split. That's what happened to my hair. I had to cut off inches after messing around with too much heat from the Egyptians.

I think in this sense, blow outs do cause split ends. I saw this by what I have seen through the years with white women. I knew some women who blow dry after every shower and their ends are fried and split.

Ok, I am thinking of just getting a relaxer so he can do a roller set and not use all that heat by blow drying.

I also think that blow outs can cause split ends. I can just imagine the comination of heat and manipulation spliting open already fragile ends. For that reason I stoped getting blow outs and I've cut back on heat usage.

Heat from a blow dryer will take moisture out of your hair, causing it to split. If you decide not to get braids, rollersetting is a good idea.

Back