slicking hair down without using gel

naturallyme

today i had notice that the right side of my hairline on my temple area is becoming thin. i also noticed that i be having like a couple of bumps near my hairline too (like 2 bumps). i think its do to me wearing my satin scarf at night or using alot of gel but i'm not sure. anyways i'm going to buy me some castor oil to massage the right side of my hairline. i would like to know is there anything else i can smooth my hair down with besides gel. i was thinking about scurl and shea butter but will these products make it thin out more than it already have. i tried to do a search but it's not working. thanks in advance!!!!!

Ummm... have you ever tried a smoother? I have used this in the past on my edges when I dont wont that hard crisp feeling of gel. I have tried Let's Jam( extra hold) and the stuff seem to work pretty well there are others, but I cant seem to think of them right now...only apply a lil because it can get to be really greasey!

HTH.....:)

2nd Goal: Thick BSL
3rd Goal: Thick MBL
Ult.Goal: Maintaining thick and healthy jus above waist lenght hair!:)
Staples: AO products, Vital corrective conditioner, Hair 2 heaven's End-All, and stimulate hair oil, honey, B&B oil moisturizer, World of Curls comb out conditioner spray,EVOO, avocdo oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil and castor oil.

Beyond the Zones Stiff Head is pretty good for laying your edges down. A lot of members like it, it is a lil for heavy for me, but I use it every once in a while.

I use Jam sometimes, but these days, I useFantasia's Ice Pomade, I love it, because it smells really good, and it has a nice hold, however, you did say your hair is natural, and I don't know if it will provide you with a strong enough hold ( I am relaxed). Also what type of hairstyles do you do during the day, that might explain the bumps

maibaby said:
Are you sure it's the gel and not just that you're slicking back too often?

True, the thinning could come from the constant pulling that comes with "slicking" the hair back.

If all else fails, don't pull back so hard and use Aloe Vera Gel; I use this on my daughters natural hair and mines. Her hair frizzes very easy with the humidity and sweet and the aloe vera gel works well.

A heavy conditioner will work on wet hair. Jam, Glaze and the fantasia IC pomade worked great when I was relaxed. Now that I'm natural they work good when I first put them on but they dry up later and my hair looks fuzzy so I don't like to use those. Maybe a pomade will work?

netnet26 i tried lets jam and i didn't like how greasy it was.

stlcovergirl i might give beyond the zones stiff head a try.

candy1978 i never tried the fantasia ice pomade. i mostly wear my hair in an afro puff or sometimes in a bun. when i put gel on it, i tie my satin scarf on my head for like two, or maybe three hours.

maibaby it could be because i slick it back alot.

so1913 i agree slicking back could be the cause of my thinning.

neobright i used aloe vera gel and it didn't hold my hair down good, my frizzy were still sticking up.

bmoreflyygirl i might give the heavy conditioner a try but i don't think it will work. i don't think i used a pomade before.

thanks for replying back ladies.
oh i have another question. i wonder if i tie the satin scarf down for like 10 min. will it put alot of tension on my hairline.

now i'm thinking to myself instead of slicking my hair back what else can i do. i just hate the front of my hair because of the frizzies.

i honestly try to stay away from the gel altogether. Some gels contain alcohol that dries out the hair. I use a water based moisturizer on my edges,i like ORS olive oil and s-curl. If you want to grow out the right side of your temple, moisture is the key amongth other things.

i would like to stay away from gel too but it's hard. i have to start trying to moisturize my edges because i never do because i moisturize my ends more than my edges.

Garnier Brillantine Shine Wax works wonders. Its water based, doesn't build-up and contains castor oil so that should help give your edges some TLC.

i never heard of that product. where can i buy it from? can i get it at a beauty supply store and is it expensive. thanks.

The only reason why I am not using gel is because I am on a cosmetic budget and just can't afford to buy more stuff. Right now Kids Organics Shea Butter Lotion really slicks my hair down. In addition, I comb my hair in the direction of where I want my ponytail to be while I am under the flow of the shower. Good luck!

To slick my hair down without gel, I use pomade--I make my own, but I've also like Kemi Oyl Shea Butter Pomade.

To slick down properly, I must dampen or wet my hair first. Then I apply a light coating of a butter/leave-in, followed by a bit of pomade. I smooth my hair back with my hands, and I tie a scarf about 1/2" back from the start of the hairline, and leave in on for 10-20 minutes.

I never tie down my hairline for sleeping. I usually twist my hair and sleep on a satin pillowcase or at most add a bonnet. I already have thin hair, and I can't afford to thin out my hairline.

naturallyme said:
i never heard of that product. where can i buy it from? can i get it at a beauty supply store and is it expensive. thanks.

You can get it at Wal-Mart or Target for around $3, it looks like this:

299794.jpg

Last edited:
thanks anky i hope i have good luck.

cheleigh i'm going to stop tieing my hair down with a satin scarf and just used my bonnet and stop using my brush. thanks for the suggestions.

wow priestess that is cheap. well i'll be going to walmart soon.

I forgot to add Long Aid Activator gel !!!!(I re-discovered). The first two ingredients are water and glycerine so it's very moisturizing and it have a soft hold. I put this on edges then put on a scarf on. Leave on for 10 min, it is sooo smooth.

i remember using long aid activator gel when i had a jheri curl and it was very moisturizing.

i guess all the brown gels are bad for your hair because they leave your hair dry, hard, and some contain alcohol. so u have to use a moisturizing one.

Back