• forget all that stuff

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

SAA's is probably the ONLY thing
i've never added to my stash:look:

Who uses SAA currently?
what do you see/feel is different when not using them?

HOW OFTEN DO YOU USE?

Ceramides are pretty common here as well (i l-u-v) the ceramide challenge:yep:.... anyone use both? alternating between? do they compliment each other.....or best when used alternatively???

sorry i'm all questions today (....ummmmm well errrryday!)

Last edited:
I would like to know who is using both as well and how is it working out. I used to use SAA but never purchased again. Now i use wheat germ oil.

I use powdered SAA mixed with water & lavender oil as my daily moisturizer, in my DC and as a part of my Leave -In mix.
I use WGO (for the ceramides) during my DC. My daily oil blend has WGO in it as well. Every few weeks I use Biolage cera repair for an extra ceramide boost.
For me I've found that WGO increases the shine in my hair and SAA literally gives a silky feel, plus it's a protein that you seemingly can't overdose on (it supposedly moisturizes).
I've been using both for a few months now (almost from the beginning of my journey) and for me both are absolute staples. The veterans will chime in with more info but as far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with either/both.

What do SAA do exactly? Im curious. Nice thread.

Per the notes in my hair journal:) SAA - is from, natural Silk (worm). Natural silk is the strongest natural fiber known to mankind discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight. If I recall correctly it is a moisturizing protein and is great for any who have protein sensitivity. Oh and people use it when they are (self) relaxing to help soften the roots.

I guess you could say I am. I have only been doing so since October, but so far so great. I have been using Infusium 23 which has lots of amino acids for my leave-in and I have been using Aubrey Organics White Camellia with some added Wheat Germ oil for as my DC for MONTHS now.

Like I said I have only been using this combination for a month, but so far this regimen makes it so using protein has been unnecessary for me and my hair just air dries happier. Infusium 23 is very strong, so I dilute it with water (50:50). So far my hair is happy and it seems to be retaining moisture quite well, no adverse results so far. This is a recent experiment, I will keep my blog updated each month with the results of this experiment.

I have some SAA haven't used them yet - or I guess I should say I had some SAA back in the early 00s but the effects weren't memorable. I do sleep in silk scarves, and also use silk as under scarves in cold weather - someone posted a thread here a while back that the fiber can condition your hair that way - don't know if it's true, or if it counts. I was kinda, sorta, on the ceramides oil bandwagon for a while but then I decided that jbco worked better. All of these things are good - but with so many options you have to choose a few and stick with them coz you can't use everything.

I bought some liquid SAA online, but I am not sure how to use it. Should I mix it with something or apply it straight? How much should I use? A dollop?

SAA's are effective in small portions so basically a few drops will do the trick. I use SAA's in all of my conditioners, scalp treatments and in my mascara. It won't make your lashes longer but I think[/] it will help you retain them? Some of the SAA vets can chime in to correct me on that one.

I've been using it religiously since about April/May and I've seen a real difference in my hair. My hair is a lot silkier and a lot easier to manage overall (I am currently transitioning).

Both.

I mix SAA to my leave ins, DC and cowash conditioners. Just a little.

I also add SAA to my mascara.

I bought some liquid SAA online, but I am not sure how to use it. Should I mix it with something or apply it straight? How much should I use? A dollop?

natural_one: It is recommended that the SAA represent between 1-2.5% of your total formulation. So, for every 16oz of product, I add no more than one tablespoon of SAA.

I use wheatgerm oil religiously and have a homemade mix of distilled water, aloe Vera, glycerine, SAA, panthenol & preservative. I spray this daily and my hair is soft & moist. SAA is wonderful as it is film forming therefore protecting strands and helps retain moisture but it doesn't harden the hair.

Last edited:
Subscribing to this thread...Random question: do you ladies think the use of ceramides and SAA can help with preventing split ends? I saw a split in the middle of my shed hair strand :(

Could you post a link to Traycee's video? I didn't see it on her blog. I saw her mention liquid aminos but not saa. Thanks!

[video=youtube;378lxySPuLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=378lxySPuLQ[/video]

it's only "mentioned:......so fast forward (if u only want that portion) to 5:44

Last edited:
Tracyee then blogged about it:
Keep It Simple Sista: Why The Amino Acids in the Last Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010
Why The Amino Acids in the Last Blog
The question why the Amino Acids shocked me... Its so important that when you start your hair journey that you research the structure of the hair to give you a better understanding of how to take care of it... Learning the basics will help you so much

Hair is made up of a chain of Amino Acids .... Hair is 91% protein !!!

All the damage we do to our hair like coloring, relaxing , heat styling, not to mention the sun and environment causes protein loss in our hair... This why we do protein treatments to help our hair ...

Amino acids increases the hair's ability to retain moisture and increases shine . Its is low in molecular weight so it easily penetrates the hair shaft and binds to hair's inner fibers.

I recommend amino acids to anyone that is protein sensitive and can not use most protein treatments.... Adding amino acids to your products is much gentler ...

You can add it to your deep conditioner , your leave in, shampoo, moisturizer, or spritz.

There a many different forms of amino acids you can purchase powder form, liquid form , wheat amino acids, silk amino acids, soy amino acids and more...

Just remember its protein and do not over do it... Protein overloads are usually always hard to correct...

We could go on and on about amino acids ...You can take them in supplements, or mix it in your relaxer or spray it on your hair before relaxing.....This post was just a tip of the ice burg... The rest you have to research on your own... Thats the fun part !!!

Ive been saying for a while now that I would be purchasing some SAA, but have yet to do so. I do however use WGO and I like it alot!

I used to use SAA and hydrolyzed wheat proteins in my relaxer mixture. I plan to add them back into my regimen, in leave-in conditioners as well. I remember when I used them, my strands felt fortified.

I add 5% of SAA to my leave-ins, DC's & co-wash conditioners. I also add a little bit to my relaxer. I also use WGO or sunflower oil in my DC process. My hair isn't weighed down and its helped to keep me from having to flat iron...unless I want to be 'breaking it up' like Antoine Dodson did on George Lopez show! *snap* :lachen:

I started adding ceramides to my regimen about 3 weeks ago, and my hair feels so much stronger. I add WGO to my co-wash & DCs; I've also added Hot 6 oil (which contains WGO) to my homemade moisturizer mix.

I also try to use products that contain ceramides high in their ingredient list....for example I've started using Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Conditoner for co-washes (it contains sunflower oil).

I have my hair conrowed now because I'm in the LadyP challenge and am wigging it for the winter, but when I wash and DC I take down my ends and they look soft and very healthy. I had a problem with split ends this summer and had to trim off about 1//2"; I think the ceramides have helped to "cure" my ends- I'm very pleased.

I would like to know who is using both as well and how is it working out. I used to use SAA but never purchased again. Now i use wheat germ oil.

Same here. I used SAA for a while, felt ehhh about it. Now WGO? My hair loves it. I DC with it, add it to all my conditioners.

Back