Silicone-free heat protectants?

preciousjewel76

Ladies, I have a problem!

I've known for a while that my hair isn't too fond of cones. The only time I use them is in a deep conditioner (my hair seems OK with this) or my heat protectant serum (Fantasia IC). I've flatironed my hair 3 times in the 7 months I've been on LHCF, so serum is not something I use regularly. I decided to flat iron my hair last Saturday, so I washed/DC'd and applied the serum before airdrying. The flatironing went smoothly and my hair looked nice.

Fast forward to 3 days later. My hair is feeling dry, despite my daily moisturizing. I decide to cowash. My hair feels fine afterwards.

Fast forward to 2 days after the cowash. My hair is brittle, breaking (not excessively, but a lot more than normal), and my bantu knot set totally flattens out in a matter of hours.

I suspect the cause of my dryness was the serum. It seems to have totally blocked my daily moisturizer from penetrating my hair.

I don't use heat often, but when I do, I obviously need a heat protectant. But I'm wary of heavy silicone-based ones now because of the dryness issue. Are there any cone-free heat protectants out there? I do NOT want to deal with this mess again!:perplexed

I think FHI makes one called "Hot Sauce"---it has jojoba beads instead of silicones....I've seen it on Folica and Amazon. HTH:)

Thanks! I found the link on Folica. It has cones in it, but it also has other nourishing ingredients. I may have to invest in this!:

http://www.folica.com/FHI_Heat_Hot_Sa_d2691.html?s_cid=gg_kwd13582

FHI Heat Hot Sauce is the latest achievement from FHI's dedication to developing the most innovative and highest quality professional hair products on the market.
Most finishing hair products are silicone-based, which means they simply coat the outside of the hair to leave it feeling smoother. This is a temporary effect and will allow unwanted product residue to build up on the hair. FHI Heat Hot Sauce is moisture-based - when used in conjunction with FHI Heat irons it will actually penetrate into the core of the hair to reconstruct and deeply condition the hair from the inside out!. FHI Heat Hot Sauce has heat-activated jojoba crystals that dissolve and deeply penetrate into the hair, thus dramatically improving the quality, condition and texture of the hair. This is not a temporary effect - with regular use of FHI Heat Hot Sauce, dry hair will be moisturized and damaged hair will be restored!
Directions:
On clean, towel dry hair, apply a small amount of product along the length and ends. Iron your hair as usual.
Ingredients:
Water, cetearyl alcohol, amodimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Incroquat Behenyl, TMS, Shea Butter, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Cetrimonium Chloride, Silk Amino Acids, Algae Extract, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rosemary Extract, Witch Hazel Extract, Hydrozypropyl Guar, Jojoba Esters, DM Dm Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Contains Crystalized Jojoba.

Blended Beauty makes two products (Straight Pearl and some other one) that uses something other than silicones as heat protectants.

preciousjewel76 said:
Ladies, I have a problem!

I've known for a while that my hair isn't too fond of cones. The only time I use them is in a deep conditioner (my hair seems OK with this) or my heat protectant serum (Fantasia IC). I've flatironed my hair 3 times in the 7 months I've been on LHCF, so serum is not something I use regularly. I decided to flat iron my hair last Saturday, so I washed/DC'd and applied the serum before airdrying. The flatironing went smoothly and my hair looked nice.

Fast forward to 3 days later. My hair is feeling dry, despite my daily moisturizing. I decide to cowash. My hair feels fine afterwards.

Fast forward to 2 days after the cowash. My hair is brittle, breaking (not excessively, but a lot more than normal), and my bantu knot set totally flattens out in a matter of hours.

I suspect the cause of my dryness was the serum. It seems to have totally blocked my daily moisturizer from penetrating my hair.

I don't use heat often, but when I do, I obviously need a heat protectant. But I'm wary of heavy silicone-based ones now because of the dryness issue. Are there any cone-free heat protectants out there? I do NOT want to deal with this mess again!:perplexed

Hi there!
I know you really want to be cone free when using heat, but silicones are such fabulous heat protectors, you'd be hard pressed (no pun intended) to find an effective heat protector w/o silicones.

Maybe prior to adding the serum, you could apply a daily moisturizer or leave-in conditioner? That way the hair has more of a moisturized foundation before sealing it all in. Also, clarifying on a regular basis helps me to keep a consistent moisture/protein balance (I do so every 2 weeks). IME silicones haven't prevented moisture from entering my hair, as their effectiveness wears off approx 2-3 after I apply them, so I just moisturize then seal w/oil after that. I don't use the cone products too much on days I don't use heat.

Also, you might want to wet-assess your strands prior to DC-ing and styling--to figure out exactly what you hair needs before you start styling. Who knows? You may need to forgo direct heat for a while until you hair can better retain moisture...I suggest doing a search on some of Sistaslick's posts that mention moisture/protein/porosity balances in the hair.

Ok, enough rambling--

HTH:)

preciousjewel76 said:
Water, cetearyl alcohol, amodimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Incroquat Behenyl, TMS, Shea Butter, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Cetrimonium Chloride, Silk Amino Acids, Algae Extract, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rosemary Extract, Witch Hazel Extract, Hydrozypropyl Guar, Jojoba Esters, DM Dm Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Contains Crystalized Jojoba.

Those are cones. My hair is very sensitive to silicone as well and I can use amodimethicone (it's a silicone oil), but if I tried to used anything with dimethicone that high in the list I'd have crunchy fried mess in about 2-3 days. My hair doesn't seem to mind water-soluable versions.

Nexxus Humectress doesn't have cones and can be used as a leave-in/heat protectant.
DesignLine Olive Oil Leave-in has water-soluable cones and is a heat protectant.

ETA: Someone suggested buying water-soluble cones (http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=106) and mixing it w/ a little avocado (or whatever) oil to make your own serum. That's assuming your hair likes water soluble cones.

HTH

Last edited:
Hask Straight Solution is silicone free. You can get it at Sally's or Walgreens.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=304670&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod3121450

At Sally's the bottle looks like this:
495120.jpg

HTH

Priestess said:
Hask Straight Solution is silicone free. You can get it at Sally's or Walgreens.
HTH

Oooh! Nice. I'm definitely adding that one to my wish list!

preciousjewel76 said:
Thanks! I found the link on Folica. It has cones in it, but it also has other nourishing ingredients. I may have to invest in this!:

http://www.folica.com/FHI_Heat_Hot_Sa_d2691.html?s_cid=gg_kwd13582

FHI Heat Hot Sauce is the latest achievement from FHI's dedication to developing the most innovative and highest quality professional hair products on the market.
Most finishing hair products are silicone-based, which means they simply coat the outside of the hair to leave it feeling smoother. This is a temporary effect and will allow unwanted product residue to build up on the hair. FHI Heat Hot Sauce is moisture-based - when used in conjunction with FHI Heat irons it will actually penetrate into the core of the hair to reconstruct and deeply condition the hair from the inside out!. FHI Heat Hot Sauce has heat-activated jojoba crystals that dissolve and deeply penetrate into the hair, thus dramatically improving the quality, condition and texture of the hair. This is not a temporary effect - with regular use of FHI Heat Hot Sauce, dry hair will be moisturized and damaged hair will be restored!
Directions:
On clean, towel dry hair, apply a small amount of product along the length and ends. Iron your hair as usual.
Ingredients:

I have used this. It does have cones' but it is moisturizing as well. If you want me to send you a sample PM me. :) Try before you buy girlie!

My hair is silicone sensitive too. I don't have any product recommendations, except to say that you might want to double-up on your moisturizers and leave-ins before sealing with the serum. It should help somewhat with the dryness.

shocol said:
My hair is silicone sensitive too. I don't have any product recommendations, except to say that you might want to double-up on your moisturizers and leave-ins before sealing with the serum. It should help somewhat with the dryness.

Girl, I slathered my hair in moisturizer before adding the serum, and I still had dryness issues. That's the part that really ticked me off!:lol: Fortunately, I don't plan to use direct heat often, but when I do, I don't want to use a serum that will cause my hair to feel so dry.

sareca, I didn't know Humectress could be used as a heat protectant. I've never tried it before. Also, I'm still trying to figure out which cones my hair doesn't like. As I mentioned earlier, I have a few deep conditioners that have cones (amodimethicone & dimethicone), and this doesn't seem to bother my hair. And the Fantasia serum has dimethicone in it, and it left my hair dry.:confused: This may take some detective work.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!:)

I'm very interested in this topic b/c from everything I have read thus far, you MUST use a silicone based product to protect your hair from heat damage...

I was afraid to use heat on my hair anyway but was tempted to try it after researching how to use heat correctly but I found out that silicones must be washed out using harsh shampoos, but I don't use shampoo!

I would be interested in trying these silicone-free heat protectors, especially the Blended Beauty ones
(they have 2)

the Straight Pearl mentioned earlier $16

Aqua (enriched with/avec and Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile), Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol, Capryl Isostearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polysorbate 20, Perfume, Preservative [Propylene Glycol and Diazolidinyl Urea and Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate], Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Silk Poweder.

and the Straightening Glaze - $16

Aqua (enriched with/avec Aloe Barbadensis and Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile)), Polysorbate 20, Capryl Isostearate, Behenoyl PG-Trimonium Chloride, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Perfume, Preservative [Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate], Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride.

Also the Curly Hair Solutions ReMane Straight - $14.99 looks interesting too

DI Water, Wheat Protein, Gaurgum, Panthenol, Oleyl Alcohol, Laureth 23, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Fragrance, DMDM Hydantoin, Potassium Sorbate, Tetra Sodium EDTA, Polyacrylamide. Natural extracts: Chamomile Extract, Horse Tail Extract, Nettle Extract, Sea Kelp Extract.

What do you think is in these products that protect the hair from heat?

Do you think it is just as good of a protection as silicone-based ones?

Do you think there is anything in these products that would be hard to wash out without harsh shampoos?

Is anyone planning on testing the silicone-free heat protectants out?

If so, PLEASE update us!!!! :spinning:

Last edited:
Back