SIGNS TO STOP STRETCHING

amwcah

I'm almost 12 weeks post relaxer. What would be some signs to stop my stretch and just relax? If I wait too long, would I see breakage pre or/and post relaxing?

I have fine hair my hair type is 4a I realized I can't stretch any longer than 10 weeks unless I'm wearing a weave. At about 8 weeks breakage starts so that's when I know a touch up is needed. Once I get a touch up I don't experience any breakage unless I have a moisture or protein overload. HTH

Hi, amwcah!

I'm 4a, so when I get between 6-8 weeks, I have hair shedding everywhere if I don't relax. However, I have started needing to relax more frequently since I have been on my vits regimen (see siggy). If my hair is braids, I can probably go about 8-10. HTH!

Your twins are precious! :)

WHEN YOUR N/G IS DRY AND COMPACT, MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO COMB WHEN DRY, AND IMPOSSIBLE TO UNTANGLE WHEN WET. I USED TO STRETCH TO 12 WEEK'S, THEN I REALIZED I AM CAUSING MORE HARM SINCE I WAS LOSING HAIR DUE TO SHEDDING AND BREAKING BY TRYING TO WORK THROUGH THAT NEW GROWTH. NOW I WILL GO NO LONGER THAN 6-8 WEEK'S AT THE MOST.

You know what, this is a great thread! I guess we can get to a point with stretching where we do more harm than good.

I stretched for 10 weeks exactly. I noticed that my hair began to break and shed on the 10th week. So next time, i'll relax on the 9th and see how that goes. But I'll tell you one thing..my beautician did not have to do much to hair including a trim despite the shedding and breakage.:)

I learned with my hair that when my nape gets hard to comb wet/dampdry whatever I've waited too long. I have learned that anymore than 8 weeks and I'm doing more harm than good.

I rely a lot on feel. If my NG is feeling thicker than usual and/or moisturizing it isn't helping I will relax early if need be.

mommatide said:
WHEN YOUR N/G IS DRY AND COMPACT, MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO COMB WHEN DRY, AND IMPOSSIBLE TO UNTANGLE WHEN WET. I USED TO STRETCH TO 12 WEEK'S, THEN I REALIZED I AM CAUSING MORE HARM SINCE I WAS LOSING HAIR DUE TO SHEDDING AND BREAKING BY TRYING TO WORK THROUGH THAT NEW GROWTH. NOW I WILL GO NO LONGER THAN 6-8 WEEK'S AT THE MOST.

This is me EXACTLY. :yep: I used to stretch from 12-15 wks and that was pure hell for me and my hair in terms of breakage, matting, tangling, TIME to detangle. NO MORE. Now me and my hair are much happier relaxing every 8 wks (the most 9/10). :grin:

I'm just going to gauge the strength of my hair to make sure that there isn't more damage over time.

The longest I’ve stretched is 16 weeks and I am currently on a 20 week stretch [7 weeks in :) ]. The only way I can stretch that long is because my hair is in braids. I redo my braids every 6 weeks with ½ weeks rest period.
The best time for me to know when to stop is when the NG is uncontrollable to the point that to comb it, I end up breaking my relaxed hair. :(

Some one, I think Allandra, said, for her, she no longer sees the point in stretching past 1" of new growth. For me, the main point for stretching is to reduce overlap, and I think any skilled stylist can relax 1-2" of new growth w/o overlapping much at all, so there is no need to go overboard with the stretching. Why wait for matting, tangling, and breakage to occur? Why not measure your new growth, and make an assessment of if it can be safely relaxed w/o overlap?

For everyone saying their hair gets tangled if they stretch too long, I don't think you should be combing stretched hair anyway. I don't. That's just asking for shedding and breaking. The key is to just moisturize and leave it alone. For me, I know it's time for a relaxer when it starts to matt and form little knots. If a conditioner won't soften it up, then it's time to relax.

CAPlush said:
Some one, I think Allandra, said, for her, she no longer sees the point in stretching past 1" of new growth. For me, the main point for stretching is to reduce overlap, and I think any skilled stylist can relax 1-2" of new growth w/o overlapping much at all, so there is no need to go overboard with the stretching. Why wait for matting, tangling, and breakage to occur? Why not measure your new growth, and make an assessment of if it can be safely relaxed w/o overlap?

hmmmm... interesting

I will be 12 weeks post on Feb 17th and I have more course medium to thick hair. For those with finer hair..stretching for that long can put major stress on your ends and cause breakage. I know its time to relax when the NG is impossible to comb thru along with being matted down to my head and my hair ulltra dry.

This is a great thread. :up:

For me now that I self relax, I am definitely dealing more with my natural texture anyway. I'm coming up on week 11 and my hair is telling me it's time to relax. My flat ironed roots have completely reverted and my NG feels like a big ol' dreadlock. :look:

I love this thread. I was wondering about this and never thought to ask. I didn't realize the matting was part of "Relaxer Withdrawl":( . I am 8 weeks post now for the first time EVER! I started having the slight breakage started at 6 weeks. Deep conditioning, Keraphix, and even less manipulation has helped this problem. I am determined to make this stretch to 12 weeks.

I stretch no longer than 12 weeks because that is as long as I can take the managing of the new growth. I always have some shedding and breakage anyway but the stretching helps strengthen my strands so when I finally get my relaxer.. my hair is stronger. But I refuse to go longer than 12 weeks.

I'm currently 10 weeks post relaxer, and I'm stretching for at least another 5 weeks. It's getting tough to deal with, but I notice that its not that bad when I don't really think about it and stress over it. I have to remember to moisturize my NG just as much as my ends and to wash and deep condition frequently. The name of the game for the next 5 weeks is moisture moisture moisture and detangle detangle detangle.

CAPlush said:

this is a great point - i was thinking somthing along the same lines...

i stretch for 4 months...the first 2 months i bun and the last 2 months i get a sew in. my hair would be too damaged if i didn't do it that way. when i get my sew-in, i have my stylist leave enough of my hair out for a bun/pony tail.

Normally, I stretch for 12 weeks. I am currently at week 13.
When stretching, breakage will occur because you are dealing with two different textures. I think extra moisture and just leaving it alone will enable you to stretch for 20 weeks if you want.

If you can't leave your hair alone, and you have to wear it out then when the new growth becomes unmanageable you need to end the stretching process.

I will say this, stretching to at least 12 weeks has not only helped me gain length in a short time, but has also improved the overall health of my hair.

It's funny that some are saying that leaving it alone and moisturizing will allow you to stretch easier b/c that's exactly what I did and I think that's exactly what did me in.

I've realized that for my hair, I have to comb more than once a week but I definitely moisturize enough. I never ever wear my hair down, yet the tangles and matting still come. I've realized that the matting came from not combing enough and stretching my relaxers, and also (this is big) not co-washing enough when I got closer to relaxing.

So now I wash (co-wash) at least 1-2 times a week along with my regular wash while detangling under running water to make sure the shed hairs are actually coming out and not wrapping around other hairs to tangle and matt. Moreover, I just stopped strecthing altogether. Like I said, I'll see how my hair gets affected by this and assess my new plan.

Anyway, IMO, I feel it's a LOT easier to stretch when one is in braids, weaves, wigs, lacefronts, etc. I personally do not wish to do any of those. I do acknowledge, however, that it's a great way to grow healthy beautiful hair. But I do what works for me. :)

ETA: I just wrote this post to show that what works for some doesn't necessarily work for others.

Last edited:
CAPlush said:
I like this analogy.:) So true.

I love this thread. My hair is VERY course, kinky and fine 4a/b. I notice by week 6 it'll begin shedding a little more than usual after the wash. So I don't stretch past 8 weeks. I'll wash and deep condition on week 6 and just won't wash again until I touch it up, and that's usually by week 7 or 8. It's just not worth the hair loss, plus I'm texlaxing so I'm not afraid of overlapping...Phyto Index1 is VERY mild, and even after my touch-up my roots are still thick but manageable and STRONG!. I've noticed a SIGNIFICANT difference in the strength/growth of my hair since texlaxing and not going overboard on the stretching. Stretching too long does more harm than good for me!

I love PHYTO INDEX 1! :grin:

secretdiamond said:
So now I wash (co-wash) at least 1-2 times a week along with my regular wash while detangling under running water to make sure the shed hairs are actually coming out and not wrapping around other hairs to tangle and matt. Moreover, I just stopped strecthing altogether. Like I said, I'll see how my hair gets affected by this and assess my new plan.

quote]

I agree with this 1000%.

Back