*Sighs* I need a Therapist and a Couch......

There's some slight confusion: I washed once with the Clarifying shampoo, and washed 3 times with a moisturizing shampoo. I didn't wash after my DC. :)

All I know is that I see a whole lot of the word "wash", even after the DC.

I am soooo sorry!!!!!!
That sucks! But can you let us know what exactly you used for your clarifier, moisturizing poo, DC? Maybe the ingredients in your products just aren't working.
What did you Dc with and for how long?

For clarifying, I use CON Clarifying Shampoo.

Moisturizing poo: Pantene Pro-V Women of Color

DC: ACE's GOLD Deep Moisturizing Conditioner--I left it in for about...30 mins-1hour at the most.

That is a lot of shampooing. My hair would have went to jail for kickin' my butt if I ever did that to it! But you're going to be just fine! And don't feel stupid, we all make mistakes. Look at it like this...you made a mistake and you can learn from it. And the hair that you cut off just gives you a whole new opportunity to grow in stronger, healthier, even more beautiful hair than before! It'll grow back and in no time you'll be even farther than where you started! :hug3:Maybe in the mean time you can look into alternatives to cleansing instead of shampoo, like bentonite clay for example. :yep:

1. too much shampoo! : honestly once I take out braids, I wash twice too. one clarifying and one with creme of nature green bottle while I detangle my hair again (i wash like a wild woman) but that's it

2. Deep conditioner: how did you do this? i find with natural 4a/b hair (actually on myself) that if I use heat when I do a DC, my hair becomes matted. I just DC for an hour, no heat and it works out fine...no tangles or anything (that is just me)

Okay...so it is clear from all the posts that the shampooing was too much. I am not going to repeat what has been restated a number of times...

But I wanted to add:

(1) Did you wash in the shower, head back or over the side of the tub/sink? If the latter, a downward flow will help you out the next time. The constant water going towards the back REALLY helps with detangling.

(2) Also, you can do a co-wash the first time just to be safe and give your hair as much slip as possible. The last time I took out twists when I was relaxed, I left the shampoo alone completely and used conditioner only. I massaged my scalp like crazy and got it really well-detangled. Finally, I wet set and left it for about a week....gave my hair a rest. The next time I washed, my hair was ready for shampoo and a bit more manipulation.

I send all kind of virtual hugs your way. Don't be too sad. Your hair will recover. You are not stupid. Most of us have had at least one nightmare detangling session. Those are NOT fun...and they usually only happen once. lol

Please update us as it gets better!!

Blessings and HHG to you!!!

cj

I used both. :(

I have something to add onto the comb question...what kind of comb did you use?
Because if you used just a wide tooth comb, then it's possible that you didn't get all the shed hairs out, which could have contributed to the matting. I don't wear braids anymore, but when I wash now, I comb my hair first with a wide tooth comb, and then I follow up in small sections with a fine tooth comb. The wide tooth comb detangles hair, and the fine tooth comb removes the shed hairs, which means a tangle-free wash for me. If you didn't go back through with a fine tooth comb, I'd say that there were still sheds left in your hair that matted and tangled up when you washed.

I'm sorry you had this experience though...wishing your hair a speedy recovery!

1. too much shampoo! : honestly once I take out braids, I wash twice too. one clarifying and one with creme of nature green bottle while I detangle my hair again (i wash like a wild woman) but that's it

2. Deep conditioner: how did you do this? i find with natural 4a/b hair (actually on myself) that if I use heat when I do a DC, my hair becomes matted. I just DC for an hour, no heat and it works out fine...no tangles or anything (that is just me)

I did a DC W/ no heat.

I have something to add onto the comb question...what kind of comb did you use?
Because if you used just a wide tooth comb, then it's possible that you didn't get all the shed hairs out, which could have contributed to the matting. I don't wear braids anymore, but when I wash now, I comb my hair first with a wide tooth comb, and then I follow up in small sections with a fine tooth comb. The wide tooth comb detangles hair, and the fine tooth comb removes the shed hairs, which means a tangle-free wash for me. If you didn't go back through with a fine tooth comb, I'd say that there were still sheds left in your hair that matted and tangled up when you washed.

I'm sorry you had this experience though...wishing your hair a speedy recovery!

Wide tooth.

Thanks for all the comments, you all. It's day 2 of my hair being short, but it's growing on me. :yep:

NOW--I'm on the hunt to find custards/creams/ oils/SOMETHING to make my natural hair curl(s) define a little more. This morn, I tried water and shea butter--no no. LOL.

Definitely need some assistance with a product. :))

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but perhaps you should use a braid-spray the next time you get kinky twists or braids.

I've seen other ladies mention using a moisturizing spray that just melted their tangles away while taking down their braids.

Also, you could try a pre-poo next time so your hair won't feel stripped or matted. Whenever my hair feels dry I like to condition-wash-condition to keep my hair manageable.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

To everyone that commented.
So, less shampooing--got it! :)
I will overcome this and have beautiful natural hair...soon. :)

Thanks Again! HHG to you all!!!!!​

Back