sigh....

Caramel Jewel

it's that time of the week.....to detangle....

if I did it every other week would it matter...

how often do any of you naturals do it.....

Last edited:
I keep my hair untangled in braids and twists, so I don't really have "detangling days". I had a detangling day once when I was too lazy to braid or twist my hair after a twist-out and just baggied my hair for the night. 'Twas not a fun project even though it was only a small section (bangs) that I had done that to, so it's one I avoid at all costs.

Despite how resistant my hair gets, I don't have much trouble detangling. Could be the ridiculous amount of conditioners and the like that I have been using. Can't wait till I can start using less- I'm going broke. I would stick with the weekly if you need it. It'll only get worse.

Hey!!

I wash once weekly.

I finger comb and detangle with my hands. I use my fingers in a claw-like formation and rake through my hair under running water and it works great! Not a lot of hair loss and it takes minutes to do while inthe shower. I discovered that my hair does not need a comb to glide through it because my hair is not straight. As long as I can run my fingers through under running water to get the shedd hair out that is what matters for me. I love it and have retained length and I have no problem with styling.

What helped me the most is that I had to change my whole frame of mind with dealing with my natural hair such as combing, detangling and styling. I still had an straight hair mentality with my natural hair the two don't mix.

I think to help if you are having detangling issues to pin point what is your goal with the detangling, is it to get rid of tangles, to make a comb glide through etc?

To eliminate my issues with tangles, I stopped wearing twistouts, it was horrible for my hair and detangling was longer with a lot of hair loss. I started wearing my hair in stretched styles and I wash my hair in twisted sections when I wash, I wash my hair in a down ward motion and squeezing, similiar to how I washed my locks and detangling has been a breeze. I have 4A/3C hair

Hope this helps!

Hang in there!

Last edited:
Hey!!

I wash once weekly.

I finger comb and detangle with my hands. I use my fingers in a claw-like formation and rake through my hair under running water and it works great! Not a lot of hair loss and it takes minutes to do while inthe shower. I discovered that my hair does not need a comb to glide through it because my hair is not straight. As long as I can run my fingers through under running water to get the shedd hair out that is what matters for me. I love it and have retained length and I have no problem with styling.

What helped me the most is that I had to change my whole frame of mind with dealing with my natural hair such as combing, detangling and styling. I still had an straight hair mentality with my natural hair the two don't mix.

I think to help if you are having detangling issues to pin point what is your goal with the detangling, is it to get rid of tangles, to make a comb glide through etc?

To eliminate my issues with tangles, I stopped wearing twistouts, it was horrible for my hair and detangling was longer with a lot of hair loss. I started wearing my hair in stretched styles and I wash my hair in twisted sections when I wash, I wash my hair in a down ward motion and squeezing, similiar to how I washed my locks and detangling has been a breeze. I have 4A/3C hair

Hope this helps!

Hang in there!

I cowash (with wen) everday...but I know that doesn't get all the hair out.
my goal is to get the dead loose hairs out....they get tangled in my hair..I untangled a few pieces with my fingers yesterday

IA.

That's what help me the most, is to change my frame of mind about what my natural hair can and cannot do. And I to revisit when I get more length. When my hair was 4-5 inches, wash 'n goes were fine. When my hair reached 7-8 inches, that was a no go:nono:.

I no longer can have my hair in its shrunken state, loose and wet at the same time. So I wash and co-wash in loose twists or braids and take each down one at the time to detangle first with my fingers and once in a while, with the Goody Jojoba brush.

If my hair is loose, that means it's streched either with a twist-out or with rollers in a bun. When I do a twist-out (dry hair) I put my hair in big twists at night and can only keep it for a 2-3 days before my hair starts to shrink and tangle.

It took me a while to let go of my wash 'n goes:wallbash: but I now, I no longer have detangling issues.

IA.

That's what help me the most, is to change my frame of mind about what my natural hair can and cannot do. And I to revisit when I get more length. When my hair was 4-5 inches, wash 'n goes were fine. When my hair reached 7-8 inches, that was a no go:nono:.

I no longer can have my hair in its shrunken state, loose and wet at the same time. So I wash and co-wash in loose twists or braids and take each down one at the time to detangle first with my fingers and once in a while, with the Goody Jojoba brush.

If my hair is loose, that means it's streched either with a twist-out or with rollers in a bun. When I do a twist-out (dry hair) I put my hair in big twists at night and can only keep it for a 2-3 days before my hair starts to shrink and tangle.

It took me a while to let go of my wash 'n goes:wallbash: but I now, I no longer have detangling issues.

I luv...my wash'n goes...I wear my hair totally shrunken...but when ity grows I guess my regimine would have to change....
Oh I rue the day...

Last edited:
I usually do it 1 a week and sometimes 2 weeks....depends on how I styled my hair that week.

If you don't do it weekly, I would just make sure you are moisturizing and be very gentle when you finally do detangle.

Back