Sigh... so I've had my natural hair pressed for TWO WEEKS and the people are

PaperClip

:lick::lovedrool::lovedrool:(that drool looks a little crazy but still it's so....)

Could it really be that the straight hair compliments me more or is it that the people haven't seen my hair straightened in a LONG TIME and it's the new/different that's more appealing?

Do they know what it takes/costs to maintain my pressed hair (although the press lasted a week!)?

Don't they realize tha once the humidity hits, it's a different situation?

Sigh....

BTW: I just came out of my kinky twists and great discovery that when I leave my hair ALONE, it GROWS! So I'm looking forward to some non-kinky twist extensions for the summer....

Thanks for the space to relax, relate, and release.

Most people are drooling because they had no idea that you could do that with your hair and they are shocked at how great it turned out.

And since the american beauty standard is skewed in the direction of straight long flowing hair, they are floored to see you with straight flowing hair for a change.

Oh...And I also want to pics... quit teasin' LOL

:lachen:@ y'all throwin' :duck:re. no pics!

My avatar is of my pressed hair.... I'll post some photos up but I'm shy:grin: but I'll post some!

I know this is controversial but I am going to say it anyway. It is possible to look better with straight hair then with natural. There I said it. Certain hairstyles compliment people better. I know plenty of people who had long natural hair but when they straightened it, they look like a whole different person.

I know this is controversial but I am going to say it anyway. It is possible to look better with straight hair then with natural. There I said it. Certain hairstyles compliment people better. I know plenty of people who had long natural hair but when they straightened it, they look like a whole different person.

I understand that I can look DIFFERENT... but BETTER? I don't know... or maybe I just don't want to admit it.... Sigh....

I suppose the one saving grace is that I can still have straight hair without a relaxer....

Hairstyles change but faces remain the same foxy you are pretty and you will still be pretty whether your hair is coiled up or straightened out.

Your hair looks very nice in your avatar. However, I would love to see your pictures =) I love to see members pictures of their hair here. =)

I get more attention when my hair is straight and long. I think its the length people are enamored with. I do my hair to please myself and not others. Last week my hair was curly, this week its straight. I'm just happy I have so many options.

Oh and post some pictures!

I get more attention when my hair is straight and long. I think its the length people are enamored with. I do my hair to please myself and not others. Last week my hair was curly, this week its straight. I'm just happy I have so many options.

Oh and post some pictures!

I was just about to say the same thing. It's the long hair, and particularly the long hair on a woman of color. When you see a woman of a non darker-skinned race with long hair, it's never a big deal really because it's so common (I'm trying to be PC here... :perplexed) Long, straightened hair on us is not expected (yet) though, and is almost exotic imo, if that makes sense :look: Long curly hair is hawt too! I mean come on, I'm going natural... But long straight hair is even more out of the norm, thus the reactions, especially if you don't straighten your hair often.

I understand that I can look DIFFERENT... but BETTER? I don't know... or maybe I just don't want to admit it.... Sigh....

I suppose the one saving grace is that I can still have straight hair without a relaxer....

FOXY!!!!! Girl - don't go there:spinning:..... You know our self esteem is totally attached to our hair at times.....
Let me walk you off the edge......

OK..... Now.... you are beautiful and Brilliant.

You are wonderfully and fearfully made - and Curly hair is JUST as GREAT as Straight hair!!!

Ok - I have said my :twocents:
:kiss:

Last edited:
I wanna wrap you all up and carry you around with me!!! Your sweet words make me blush!!!!

I promise I'm getting some pics up but my hair isn't really down so I think it's the straightness more than the length. My hair is only about neck length right now but wow it's straight!

FOXY!!!!! Girl - don't go there:spinning:..... You know our self esteem is totally attached to our hair at times.....
Let me walk you off the edge......

OK..... Now.... you are beautiful and Brilliant.

You are wonderfully and fearfully made - and Curly hair is JUST as GREAT as Straight hair!!!

Ok - I have said my :twocents:
:kiss:

Sigh... (sniff).... I gotta call you out 'cause you just called me all the way out! My mom said I walk different 'cause I know I look cute!:blush::grin:

Wow on this part, too: why did one of my classmates (a Roman Catholic priest) compliment my hair?!?!?!? And he doesn't say much to me on that level but he definitely said my hair looked nice.... Wow....

OP, The people at my job did the same thing when I straightened my hair a few weeks ago. Also, I have noticed that some ignorant people on the street treat me differently when my hair is natural than when it is straight(Ask me if I care though about how people I dont know treat me....:realitycheck:...uh no:look:) But back to the people at my job, some of them didnt even recognize me...it is two completely different looks. I think it was the difference that shocked them. Its like night and day. No one said that they thought it looked better or worse; they just said they really liked it. When I went from wearing my everyday puff to a twist-out they were astonished too...thought it was super cute. I think they are just amazed by our hair period. Like a previous poster said your face doesn't change...you're gorgeous regardless. You rock the fro like you rock the straight hair...and ROCK them hard, girl!!

There is a social preference for straight hair, especially long, flowing, straight hair. It has nothing to do with looking better because I see girls who look gorgeous with big, natural, hair--but to a majority of people, they will always feel it looks better straight. It's not just black people--this same thinking applies to whites as well (not sure how other ethnicities feel about straight vs curly). Taylor Swift wears her hair in gorgeous curls and when she straightened it everyone was all over it.

As a natural you have the best of both worlds. You can straighten and show off your length, and you can also wear it natural. I say enjoy the attention you get from both!

Here's one photo.... it's mainly to show the hair (can't claim that ponytail length yet!:grin:). This press is 3 days old.... I have thinner edges but they're on the mend....

I let the hairdresser (my mom) style me. This really isn't my kind of style (I'm a bit more conservative) but the people are lovin' it! She calls it the Paris Hilton Bump!

March 24 Photo (PH Hump).jpg

Back