SHRINKAGE V.S. ACTUAL LENGTH

PoohBear - you're so pretty...and don't loc that hair, i love the fro and it looks so good straightened (sorry i shouldn't have said that)
Thanks Bublin & DivaStyle. I'm no longer doing locs. I unraveled my starter locs last week after having my hair like that for 5 weeks. I like my hair loose and free... however, I do not like how my hair looks straightened via flat iron, it doesn't last long, then ends still look bushy/frizzy, and I don't see myself straightening my hair anytime soon (if ever again)... too much of a hassle. I know my hair will look better straightened with a pressing comb, but I'm afraid to use that on my hair. I just plan on growing my hair out with as little manipulation as possible.

Last edited:
Hope this isn't too off topic... Whenever I think of shrinkage nowadays, I wonder about all those pictures of slaves I've seen. In the pictures 99.9% of the women had "short" hair. After seeing shrinkage at it's finest on this site, I now ask myself, "how many of those slaves actually had armpit or longer hair?"

I was wondering the same thing. There are some photos I have seen of women of color back in those times and their hair is pinned up some type of way, I always wonder what does it really look like as far as length and thickness.

Someone I think on this site has a few of those pictures. I love black history so I really enjoy looking at them. I think it is this site it could be the other one but they look very prim and proper and their hair is up.

I think I'm a little below shoulder length with shrinkage and below waist-length when straight. Sometimes the comparison even confuses me:perplexed. I take a curl and stretch it just to make sure my hair is still there:lachen:.

I was wondering the same thing. There are some photos I have seen of women of color back in those times and their hair is pinned up some type of way, I always wonder what does it really look like as far as length and thickness.

Someone I think on this site has a few of those pictures. I love black history so I really enjoy looking at them. I think it is this site it could be the other one but they look very prim and proper and their hair is up.

Ummhmm, I've always wondered the same thing myself - shrinkage can hide a LOT.

I'm LOVING all these pictures - subscribing to the thread, as I see a BUNCH of fotkis I need to stalk.

I almost NEVER wear my hair shrunken, so I don't have any shrinkage pics... shrinkage = tangling, for me....

y'all have some amazing hair, see this is why i needa stay outta these threads makes me wanna cut of my relaxed ends and go natchal rite this minute :perplexed

I don't have any recent pics, but my hair is shoulder length when natural and at my natural waist when flat-ironed. It amazes people all the time.
Ditto. My hair is a little past my natural waist yet if I let it shrink when it is wet, it can shrink to even above my shoulders. I do not let it shrink all the way because that causes severe tangles, so I will not be posting pics of my hair fully shrunk. But I have 70-80% shrinkage in most of my hair, and at the sides, it's even more drastic.

Last edited:
My shrinkage was off the chain. My natural hair would shrink to my shoulders while wet and was waistlength when stretched until I cut it in August 2006, then cut again in July 2007. I was loving the shorter cut until I realized that I actually enjoy wearing my hair up. I used to complain about how the shrinkage got on my nerves but I actually loved it. I loved it so much that I didn't touch any type of heating element (no blow dryer, flat iron, etc) from somewhere in March 2007 to December 31st 2007 for New Years Eve just see how much it had grown. Shrinkage is awesome! Below are a couple of my shrinkage shots from somewhere in 2005 and 2006...The right pic(if you can see it) is freshly washed wet hair twisted on one side. If were to let it air dry all the way w/out stretching it in the twist, I would be in trouble. :)
shrinktwist-horz.jpg

My hair shrinks up to the middle of my neck :perplexed when stretched (pull test) I'm about 3 inches above APL (according to my husband). My wash n go pics are all airdried shrinkage. I haven't taken any actual length pics recently. I will post back here when I do. :look:

GREAT THREAD!!!! :up:

everyday shrunken fro:
freefro.jpg

picked out fro:
baa2-vi.jpg

twists:
boxbraids.jpg

my hair is in layers, the longest being APL. i'll be getting it pressed and trimmed in a week or so, so i'll have a new straight hair pic to post soon. :grin:

Okay, I love your shrunken and picked out fro.

You ladies are very inspiring. I can't wait until this relaxer grows out. I doubt that I will ever relax again. If my hair could handle it, I would, but I feel so free.

I now anticipate my HUGE, curly afro style and the freedom that comes with it.

YAY!!

I have one length shot and this sucka has been getting a lot of press lately. :grin:

The closest I ever came to a viable wash and go. Actually, I did manage for 3 days before I realized that my hair was tangling something scary and stopped it. It was too bad, cuz I really loved this look:

Twists, regular and then pulled on, taken at the beg of this month.

Girl, it is a character building situation let me tell ya!:yep:

I am the one people look at and say there is nooooo way that girl has long hair it ain't possible she is so not telling the truth. But it is what it is and I have learn to live with it. I can go from really short to really long in the blow of a hair dryer. :lachen: For this reason I know for sure God has a sense of humor!:yep:

I think your hair is beautiful. Actually, yours is the hair type I love the most! :yep:

And I love the shrinkage of natural hair, without it there would be no curls, coils or kinks... :)

My hair shrinks from below hip length to waist length or a little above waist length. It shrinked more when it was shorter, especially around shoulder length my shoulders puffed up my hair upwards all the time.

My father never had to cut his hair, he just patted it in place and that was it :D He had a short afro.

I love the look of hair in its natural state. I had been wearing protective styles for a couple of months and got my hair blown out for a date:look: (oh, I am transitioning). I couldn't believe how much it had grown in the months I had been putting it in protective styles (I should say style because I only wear it in a ponytail with the ends tucked under). I can hardly wait(:wallbash:) until April to see if it has grown even more.

I think your hair is beautiful. Actually, yours is the hair type I love the most! :yep:

And I love the shrinkage of natural hair, without it there would be no curls, coils or kinks... :)

My hair shrinks from below hip length to waist length or a little above waist length. It shrinked more when it was shorter, especially around shoulder length my shoulders puffed up my hair upwards all the time.

My father never had to cut his hair, he just patted it in place and that was it :D He had a short afro.

Aww shucks, thanks. :blush::grin:

I have one length shot and this sucka has been getting a lot of press lately. :grin:

The closest I ever came to a viable wash and go. Actually, I did manage for 3 days before I realized that my hair was tangling something scary and stopped it. It was too bad, cuz I really loved this look:

Twists, regular and then pulled on, taken at the beg of this month.

OMG your hair is gorgeous!
:yep:

Hope this isn't too off topic... Whenever I think of shrinkage nowadays, I wonder about all those pictures of slaves I've seen. In the pictures 99.9% of the women had "short" hair. After seeing shrinkage at it's finest on this site, I now ask myself, "how many of those slaves actually had armpit or longer hair?"

Wow! I never even considered that! I am sure as soon as it stretched out in its pretty glory, Missy had it hacked off with sheep shears! bonjour

Back