Shout Out To One of My Hair Goddesses: Aaliyah

Calia001

being that this is a hair board i HAD to shout out Aaliyah today, the 8th anniversary of her tragic death. She was like the coolest big sister to me and I wanted to be just like her.

she is one the MAIN reason's I'm growing my hair out. Just so i can do this

aaliyah26.jpg

I love her!! The day she died was so upsetting!! Everytime I hear one of her songs, it makes me sad. We lost such a beautiful, talented, and kind soul.

R.I.P Aaliyah

ANGEL.jpg

Yes she was an amazing person and we were blessed to have someone so classy, talented and eloquent in our lifetimes she was a gem and is now an Angel :)

I loved me some Aaliyah. She was so beautiful, talented and had a beautiful heart. She will always be remembered by me. I remember being younger watching her videos, drooling over her hair, and practicing all of her dance moves. It's such a shame she died so young, right at the prime of her career:sad:

Not only was Aaliyah talented, but she was also drop dead gorgeous and had such a cool personality. I mean, which young female artist of today tops what Aaliyah had?? These are things I'd say regardless of whether or not she was still alive today. It's really a shame that the best have to die young.
She is definitely my hair inspiration, and more :')

Nice thread to start OP. I have always favored Aaliyah over Brandy or Monica. I always felt like she was on another level. She was mysterious, sexy, seductive, and she could dance her behind off like no one else her age that was in the industry could. And of course, that hair!!

I still miss her.

I really don't want to upset anyone by asking this question but I have always wanted to know. Is that really her hair? I always thought it was a weave or added on extensions. No disrespect to Aaliyah or her fans but does anyone know?

I really don't want to upset anyone by asking this question but I have always wanted to know. Is that really her hair? I always thought it was a weave or added on extensions. No disrespect to Aaliyah or her fans but does anyone know?

You know, I really don't know. But I've always been inclined to believe that it was hers. The styles, length and thickness were always so consistent and you could see her scalp when she parted it.

Any other opinions?

You know, I really don't know. But I've always been inclined to believe that it was hers. The styles, length and thickness were always so consistent and you could see her scalp when she parted it.

Any other opinions?

I think she was my hair twin. However, I think she did individual strand weaving. Hence why she was able to do parts and the like. Nonetheless, beautiful!

I was an Aaliyah fiend! I was so shaken when she died that I couldn't stop crying and I even videotaped myself talking about it. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and seeing Sway on MTV talking about the plane crash.
I still have all the issues of Sophisticate's Black Hair with her on the cover. I watched that -is it my go, is it your go - video a million times. I was in love with her hair and worked to get mine just like it. It's the healthiest my hair has ever been.

Rest in peace Aaliyah

The only person I didn't know at all personally who's memorial I went to in NYC.

Any other opinions?

I think that her own hair was long and healthy, but I think that she used pieces sometimes. She was a regular in Sophisticate's Black Hair, especially after One In A Million and that hair came out. She had her hair pressed using a technique called a silk press where the stylist would run a piece of silk down her hair right after the pressing comb, so that probably helped her retain her thickness. In one of the interviews she talked about how she would give the back of her hair a break for a couple months at a time by using a weave.

I think that her own hair was long and healthy, but I think that she used pieces sometimes. She was a regular in Sophisticate's Black Hair, especially after One In A Million and that hair came out. She had her hair pressed using a technique called a silk press where the stylist would run a piece of silk down her hair right after the pressing comb, so that probably helped her retain her thickness. In one of the interviews she talked about how she would give the back of her hair a break for a couple months at a time by using a weave.

That's what a silk press is supposed to be?

It was very sad to see her die at such a young age. One in a Million will always be my favorite song from her. May she rest in peace.

By the way, I can't believe that was 8 years ago.

I agree! I still have posters and pics up of her to this day. She was/is my idol. I find it still hard to listen to her music, but sometimes I will pull it out - not often. I prefer to hear it on the radio. Anyway, I want my hair length like hers and I will stop trying after it is reached. I notice a lof of people reference her hair on here.

I wonder how music would be if she was still here. It is very hard for child songtress to stay afloat. This includes Brandy, Monica and Mya who were big in their days. Monica's voice is crazy so I don't understand why she is not bigger than what she is.

Yes- RIP Aaliyah

BTW- this is one of those days that that you remember exactly where you were and doing when you heard the news like 9/11 which happened a couple of weeks later. I was in college in bed when my cousin confirmed the news. She knew I was a big fan. I'm happy I was able to meet her before she left.

LOVE LOVE LOVE her hair. I also was in awe when I was younger. I loved her lil ponytails she had on the top in her..what video was that...I think it was one in a million and I remember her on stage with her shiny mane just swinging around. I always have wanted that swoop bang.

Back