Shout-out to excellent hair: DLewis!

Hi D,

I see you are still doing a wonderful job and sharing a lot of great information. Your hair looks fabulous as always. :yep:

Hey D,

Could you give some tips on how you get your buns so nice? For example how to do this one

029.JPG

Oh and where are you all meeting and why wasn't I invited..lol

Hey D,

Could you give some tips on how you get your buns so nice? For example how to do this one

029.JPG

Oh and where are you all meeting and why wasn't I invited..lol

The instruction to how to do that bun is here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfjwGutIOzQ

Depending on how many separate ponytails (within the one large ponytail) are use will make it larger. I can do lots of styles with that tutorial:

029.JPG

using 10 ponytails

101_0023_edited.jpg

using 8 ponytails

100_5156_edited.jpg

using 4 ponytails

100_4734_edited.jpg

forgot with this one

004.JPG

using 6 ponytails

We are meeting in Memphis this weekend for a girls weekend.:yay: Please join us if you can.

thanks again ladies

I didn't even know she had a hair blog. Way to go Dlewis! I always have liked your hair-- and your hair color.

Sooo, I've heard about butter from Ethiopian family, read about it in books on Ethio culture, asked my sis-in-law about it etc. But I thought, at the time, she meant shea butter so I got into that one. It's good, particularly for very kinky hair and lends a lot of softness (well, kinkier hair is finer and softer anyway IMHO) but overall, it's kinda waxy for me. I tried some years ago with softened cow's butter...didn't like that so much and only kept it on a little bit...the smell. My hair was rather crunchy, oily dry and not nice.

Fast forward to a male Ethiopian friend of the family talking about using butter to grow his bald spot back out but the "smell...since he works." Another Ethiopian guy talking about butter his sis and family used to make curls defrizz. Then I find DLewis' post about ghee pre-poo.

So, I made mine yesterday from unsalted (key!!) butter since I had some lying around. Left it in overnight under a plastic cap and scarf and....sorry, can't take the pic properly...but my hair is wonderfully moist and conditioned. It's a keeper. I wish I had known it was the clarified one. They kept telling me "kibe" but DUH, didn't put two and two together. Clarified makes the diff. because you remove the excess proteins so it won't make the hair stiff greasy "dry" and overly stinky of sour milk. It softens hair so well, I'll do it weekly and during this longest stretch of 6 months, hopefully, the ghee will give the same results to my new growth. And there's no smell after washout. Very minimal during treatment.

My hair is so straight, I cannot believe it. It's like it returns the hair to your baby hair type :babyb: . It truly softened and moisturized my texture. I rinsed out with warm water, used a handful of Creme of Nature shampoo, applied gently, left in for 5 min. while I showered, rinsed out, applied Clairol Herbal Essences Condtioner for combout and fragrance, no rinse. Just a great treatment overall. I love this better than avocado butter.

What I wish for? I'd find a recipe in which I could use Bhringraj/Amla etc. with the ghee but not get the milky smell.. I know that would be a stretch. But so far, so good. I like it better than coconut creme butter. It is probably going to be a better treatment for summer and I can co-wash more often. Six more inches and I'm just touching waistlength!! So again, thank you DLewis for your dedication and sharing!!!

Last edited:
Sooo, I've heard about butter from Ethiopian family, read about it in books on Ethio culture, asked my sis-in-law about it etc. But I thought, at the time, she meant shea butter so I got into that one. It's good, particularly for very kinky hair and lends a lot of softness (well, kinkier hair is finer and softer anyway IMHO) but overall, it's kinda waxy for me. I tried some years ago with softened cow's butter...didn't like that so much and only kept it on a little bit...the smell. My hair was rather crunchy, oily dry and not nice.

Fast forward to a male Ethiopian friend of the family talking about using butter to grow his bald spot back out but the "smell...since he works." Another Ethiopian guy talking about butter his sis and family used to make curls defrizz. Then I find DLewis' post about ghee pre-poo.

So, I made mine yesterday from unsalted (key!!) butter since I had some lying around. Left it in overnight under a plastic cap and scarf and....sorry, can't take the pic properly...but my hair is wonderfully moist and conditioned. It's a keeper. I wish I had known it was the clarified one. They kept telling me "kibe" but DUH, didn't put two and two together. Clarified makes the diff. because you remove the excess proteins so it won't make the hair stiff greasy "dry" and overly stinky of sour milk. It softens hair so well, I'll do it weekly and during this longest stretch of 6 months, hopefully, the ghee will give the same results to my new growth. And there's no smell after washout. Very minimal during treatment.

My hair is so straight, I cannot believe it. It's like it returns the hair to your baby hair type :babyb: . It truly softened and moisturized my texture. I rinsed out with warm water, used a handful of Creme of Nature shampoo, applied gently, left in for 5 min. while I showered, rinsed out, applied Clairol Herbal Essences Condtioner for combout and fragrance, no rinse. Just a great treatment overall. I love this better than avocado butter.

What I wish for? I'd find a recipe in which I could use Bhringraj/Amla etc. with the ghee but not get the milky smell.. I know that would be a stretch. But so far, so good. I like it better than coconut creme butter. It is probably going to be a better treatment for summer and I can co-wash more often. Six more inches and I'm just touching waistlength!! So again, thank you DLewis for your dedication and sharing!!!

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I, I am so glad this worked for you. I only use it as a prepoo now because Dh complained about the smell:perplexed. I remember visiting an Indian haircare site and they were kinda laughing at me doing this:ohwell: and saying my hair wasn't so hot and that's fine. But it works for me and that's what matters. If I learn anything that can help someone I'm always willing to share.:yep:

Thanks D! I would love to join you all but alas I'm in Alberta Canada. Have fun ladies..remember those of us who can never join in...sniff...lol.

Back