Shoulder Length Ladies

sassyhair

What are you doing to acheive you hair goal length?

Protective styles?
Wigs?
Braids?

I am lost for what to do, I have noticed my hair thinning lately and I need to hear from ppl who have hair that is similar in length.

When I try to make a bun it is way too small to think about wearing...I tried a braidout last night and with all my new growth I got it just aint working out. I am kinda gettin stressed.

sassyhair said:
When I try to make a bun it is way too small to think about wearing...I tried a braidout last night and with all my new growth I got it just aint working out. I am kinda gettin stressed.

if i wear braidouts when i have a lot of new growth, i'll wear a head band (preferably a slick material like satin or silk) and that normally covers it up.

But lately I've been purchasing comfortable clips like bear claws which do not dig into my scalp. I normally wear my hair up a lot (pony tails, bear claws, pig tails, baggie covered with an attractive scarf). Now and then I'll get my mom to french braid my hair, but i don't suggest micros or anything if your hair is thinning. i noticed that my hair began to thicken up when i stopped brushing and combing my hair everyday. This past school year I went 5-7 days without brushing or combing my hair (mostly out of laziness) for months and that made a difference.

Don't get stressed out because we shoulder length-ers are all in the same boat. I think that we are in the toughiest stages, because of our hair touching our clothing and getting caught in our necklaces etc. So what I do, (even with crazy new growth), is twist my hair up in braidouts, but use bbd butter in my hair with neutrogena shine serum and a leave in conditioner. The key is, I get under the hooded dryer on medium heat and let my hair get almost dry, and then let the rest air dir naturally. When I wake up in the morning it is nice and curly when I finger comb the twists . *Try to use something other then rubber bands on your ends to secure. Even kiddie clips will do.

Protective styles: either a French twist or a phony-pony (with baggied hair beneath).

I have tried to do double stranded flat twists, I will see what it looks like tomorrow...I did it on remoistened dry hair.. I dont think I can keep doing this because as I braid my hair snaps and breaks.
I think I will try felxi's too but I sure aint paying $60 at the salon and the person that usually does them has been busy! After my relaxer I will try to get a partial weave to help put my hair up and keep it off of my shoulders and back.

This stage is really hard because not all my hair is shoulder length. I wanna be able to look cute and still help my hair to continue to grow. Scarves and clips are outta the question for me.

I am so close that it hurts...I cornrow, baggie my entire head at night and keep it hidden under instant weaves until August! ;)

I just took out my double stranded flat twist and they look like wtf...grrrrr, braidouts with lots of new growth aint working for me.

planodiva said:
I wear my hair in french twist or buns almost everyday.

Me too. I wear ponytails also. I can't wear weaves or phonytails anymore because I suffer breakage.

I'm wearing braids now (crown and glory method). I'm going to be switching to weaves in the next few weeks. When I'm resting in between braids/weaves I wear quickweaves and phonyponies. I need to keep my hair off my shoulders as much as possible.

I hear you!

I say Wig it in the fall/winter/1st part of Spring
Buns and Phony Ponies for Summer

I have been and I am well on my way to meeting my goals and not looking like a mess while doing so. But I must admit I miss wearing my natural hair out, but its just better this way.

Attachments

• 8.11 lashes galore.jpg
    8.11 lashes galore.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1701.JPG
    DSCN1701.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 97
sassyhair said:
I think that when you have a lot of newgrowth is the perfect time for a braidout. I tried one when my hair was freshly relaxed and it was stick straight! UGLY.

My hair is shoulder length stretched, but buns are impossible! Right now my daily style is a simple wash and go ponytail. I'm looking for a thick moisturizer to put on my ends to keep them from drying out.

I am doing a partial sew in weave right now and ina coule of weeks I will probably get some two strand twists.

At first I did a partial sew in weave, but my scalp was irritated from the braids and weave and even though I washed it....uh ugh. But my hair grew more than an inch in 6 weeks. GREAT! So I decided to buy a fall. Now I just started wearing it. But I'm going to wear my fall for the foreseeable future! It's wonderful. Underneath I have my hair in a wet ponytail. I can wash it daily, condition wash it, and I only flat iron my bangs.

I'm so happy.

This was the first time I've ever air dried my hair. It was great! Great!

Anyways I'm a little excited, but this is how my older sister grew her shoulder length hair to bra-strap! So I'm following in her shoes...a little. She doesn't have LHCF.

When my hair was shoulder length I did flexirod sets and that was pretty much the only protective style I did.:)

Back