Should you tell a workmate she needs help(with what is left of her hair?)

chase

I am just starting out on my haircare journey,as I have had hair drama over the last six years.So don't get me wrong,you wouldn't be asking me for haircare tips at the moment.As i tend to wear the same protective hair style every day.

But there is this woman at work,that I get along with.Her hair is steadily disappearing.She pulls her hair back in a high ponytail and has straggly hair which reaches her collarbone.She is going BALD,there is no other way to describe it!At the back she has no hair whatsoever from the bottom of her ears downwards.
She relaxes her hair herself and hasn't been to a hairdressers for years.One day she will have nothing left, to place in that hair band.Her hair line is retreating like a desert island getting smaller by the day!
By how do i help the sister out,when my own hair doesn't look all that at the moment?

Tell her about long hair care forum. I would want someone to tell me because by the time she figures out she has no hair left she will be in a panic. That way you are not telling and/or suggesting to her what to do with her hair we are. Good Luck.;)

How well do you know your coworker? Do ya'll have the type of relationship where you can talk about personal, non-work related things? I have co-workers that I have talked with about hair (theirs and mine) but if someone I hardly spoke to just came up out of the blue :confused: ...for instance, I've been doing the no heat, no combing, low-manipulation, bunning thing and it was getting close to my relaxer time and a (WM) co-worker who I only see about once a week asked "What is up with your hair?" :ohwell: I laughed it off :lol: but you understand what I'm saying.:)

Thanks,I just hope that she doesn't take the message the wrong way.I feel sometimes hair can be a taboo subject,especially when you are not looking your best.

Kimberly said:
How well do you know your coworker? Do ya'll have the type of relationship where you can talk about personal, non-work related things? I have co-workers that I have talked with about hair (theirs and mine) but if someone I hardly spoke to just came up out of the blue :confused: ...for instance, I've been doing the no heat, no combing, low-manipulation, bunning thing and it was getting close to my relaxer time and a (WM) co-worker who I only see about once a week asked "What is up with your hair?" :ohwell: I laughed it off :lol: but you understand what I'm saying.:)
Yeah I bump into her perhaps 2 or 3 times a week.And if we have time we chat about all sorts of things.

I would bring up hair talk and if she talks in anyway about her own hair (her displeasure in it) THEN and ONLY then I would help her out.

The first step to help is admitting you have a problem. She ain't gon fix what she think is right.:look:

MizaniMami said:
I would bring up hair talk and if she talks in anyway about her own hair (her displeasure in it) THEN and ONLY then I would help her out.

The first step to help is admitting you have a problem. She ain't gon fix what she think is right.:look:

Great advice! :up:

That is good advice to only mention the website,if she is willing to discuss her own hair.The thing is..........can your hair recover once you have developed that amount of traction alopecia?I have never seen anything like this ,she has worn this tight ponytail for at least the seven years i have known her.

chase said:
That is good advice to only mention the website,if she is willing to discuss her own hair.The thing is..........can your hair recover once you have developed that amount of traction alopecia?I have never seen anything like this ,she has worn this tight ponytail for at least the seven years i have known her.

I think anything is possible with faith and patience. The damage was not done overnight, it won't be corrected overnight. But think about how much further ahead she could be this time next year if she starts now. :)

I feel really sorry for her. I can understand why you want to help her. Does she seem at all self-conscious about her hairline? I find it odd that she continues to wear that high pony when she has no hair in the back. Do you think she's ignoring the problem or just doesn't realize how bad it is? I honestly don't know how you can broach the subject without possibly offending her though. Let us know how this turns out.

If her hair is as bad as you've described, there could be more going on then just poor haircare. Maybe she is on medication (I know some thyroid meds put a hurtin' on the tresses) or undergoing medical treatment or something that may be having an averse effect on her hair.

I wouldn't assume she isn't taking care of her hair. If there is more to her story than meets the eye, your advice may come off as offensive.

If you have any doubts about how she will respond if you mentioned hair care to her, then I wouldn't. "When in doubt, don't" seems to be the rule I follow.

She might get mad. Just let your hair serve as an example. "Actions speak louder than words." Maybe she will take the initiative to bring up the subject.:yep: Then proceed from there.

Last edited:
If her hair is as bad as you've described, there could be more going on then just poor haircare. Maybe she is on medication (I know some thyroid meds put a hurtin' on the tresses) or undergoing medical treatment or something that may be having an averse effect on her hair.

I wouldn't assume she isn't taking care of her hair. If there is more to her story than meets the eye, your advice may come off as offensive.

The same thought crossed my mind.

I am just starting out on my haircare journey,as I have had hair drama over the last six years.So don't get me wrong,you wouldn't be asking me for haircare tips at the moment.As i tend to wear the same protective hair style every day.

But there is this woman at work,that I get along with.Her hair is steadily disappearing.She pulls her hair back in a high ponytail and has straggly hair which reaches her collarbone.She is going BALD,there is no other way to describe it!At the back she has no hair whatsoever from the bottom of her ears downwards.
She relaxes her hair herself and hasn't been to a hairdressers for years.One day she will have nothing left, to place in that hair band.Her hair line is retreating like a desert island getting smaller by the day!
By how do i help the sister out,when my own hair doesn't look all that at the moment?

To be honest, no.

How many times has thread been started because we got mad at something one of our co-workers said about us at work?

If someone asks you about your hair or if she does, then tell her or them about the LCHF. Then she will want to know more about it and then maybe come over.

Girl, mind your own! Has she asked your advice?! This is how workplace drama starts: folks not keeping comments to themselves. If your workmate takes offense (and remember, she may not blow up in your face--she may keep it in her heart and hate you secretly), what then? Now you have workplace beef over **** that was not your problem. Leave well enough alone!

Girl, mind your own! Has she asked your advice?! This is how workplace drama starts: folks not keeping comments to themselves. If your workmate takes offense (and remember, she may not blow up in your face--she may keep it in her heart and hate you secretly), what then? Now you have workplace beef over **** that was not your problem. Leave well enough alone!

This is true. I hope the OP gets these messages. The woman might be sick.

What she said, ITA. I would just leave the subject alone.

I understand how you might feel "obligated" to say something to someone because you care and because you are starting your own journey and want to see someone else succeed but like my mother said...let sleeping dogs lie. You have no idea if this woman is sick or going through some crises or just doesn't realize the extent of her problem. It also doesn't sound like you are so close to her that you could just bring something up like that and she wouldn't take offense. People are sensitive about their appearance and about things that have bothered them in the past. She may have lupus a disease that causes hair to fall out in time of stress or when the body's immune response is out of control - you just never know. Unless she says something to you I wouldn't say a word. Not because you don't care, but you have to go to work with this woman everyday and the last thing you want is a stressful work environment.

To be honest, no.

How many times has thread been started because we got mad at something one of our co-workers said about us at work?

If someone asks you about your hair or if she does, then tell her or them about the LCHF. Then she will want to know more about it and then maybe come over.

Very well said. ITA. Right now I would stay focus on your hair and your hair goals. If she asks you for help then offer advice.

Back