Should we leave the lye to the professionals?

fletgee

I have noticed on this and other boards that many of us are switching from no-lye to lye relaxers. While some of us are comfortable doing certain hair maintanance at home, should this include lye relaxers?. This type of relaxer can cause many hair and scalp problems if not used properly. We have all read stories of scalp burns, hair loss, and goal set
backs due to at home use of this product.

I am not questioning the fact that lye relaxers can be purchased at almost any beauty supply. Nor am I saying it is any better (or worse)a product than no-lye relaxers. What I would like to hear are your opinions on leaving this product's application to salons.

All opinions are welcome.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif <font color="orange"> </font color>

Hi fletgee,

In general, it's always recommended that chemical applications should be done by professionals. However, I've found that the salons make their share of mistakes too with chemical applications. Even if you go to a salon you're still at risk of experiencing scalp burns and hair loss. You just need to be fortunate to find a pro that knows what they are doing. I have a friend that does my relaxers for me and I haven't had any problems at all. The only reason I'm going to a pro for my next relaxer is because the brand I want to try is not available in beauty supply stores. Now I just need to find a place that will do my hair and not mess up my hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree with Pepples... in the past the times I had problems were at the hands of 'professionals'. If I ever relax again...I will do my own or have my cousin do it.She does her own with no problems.

Of all the damaging things I've done to my hair over the years, doing my own touch-ups has got to be the #1 mistake, hands down. I have a trusted and very talented stylist now who does my touch-ups, in fact that's the only thing I go to the salon for is my 8-week touch up and trim.

I give mad props to all of you who can do your own relaxers with no ill effects but my hair suffers tremendously when I do mine.

In my case I wouldn't let ANYONE near my hair with a lye relaxer. On this board I've learnt the correct way to do my touch ups at home safely and just as professional as anyone else. Truth be told, I think my method for my own hair is by far safer than going to a salon.

thanks diva, seems like we were born in the same year 79! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
i am a september 08 girl, though. right i will quit hiJ the thread. speak 2u later..

I think that as far as the potential to do yourself harm, they are equal. I always get the relaxer done at the salon. Just shop around - ask your friends for recommendations - and get someone competent. There is always a risk but I think the home care risk is greater.

I really think it depends on the individual and the kinds of "professionals" you have access to. Some of us don't live in an area where we have access to stylists who concentrate on health rather than style. These peopel would not be trusted any where near my hair with a chemical treatment.
As for lye being more in need of a professional than no-lye, I don't see it. I think both are equally dangerous when applied by anyone be it yourself or a stylist. I have had my hair professionally relaxed 5 different times. Each time they used a lye relaxer and each time they took it all the way to the ends even when I did protest. So, if I am going to take the chances with damage, I would rather inflict it myself. Besides, I have learned and experimented with enough ways for applying my touch ups, that I am much better than a stylist at preventing damage to my hair.
I don't think that someone who has never applied a relaxer to their hair without major problems should be doing it themselves regardless of whether or not they use lye or no lye. Both are extremely caustic and can cause burns and hair loss if one is not careful.
So, I think a general rule of thumb is ALL chemical services should be applied by a stylist. However, that only works in a perfect world where you can find stylists who care as much about the health of your hair as you do. If you can't, you are better off doing it yourself as long as you are careful and have fully researched all of the different methods.

Well, I feel comfy leaving all relaxing lye or no lye to the professionals.... if I relaxed my hair myself how would I get the back properly???

I've relaxed my own hair since I was in high school. Now that was a trial and error thang and I wouldn't recc. that. I didn't loose hair but I remember those scalp burns with lye and no-lyes because I was naive and didn't know what to do prior to application. Scratching was something I learned the hard way. I don't let my stylist relax anymore because she overlaps. The dominicans did the same thing too. So it depends on your own comfort level and experience doing it yourself. If you've never done it don't but damage can occur with both.

Though I have heard over and over on this board (and I believe the sisters here unequivocally) that relaxing at home, whether with lye or no lye is possible and that some women's hair has even been that better for it - I still believe overall that realxing at home is a bad idea. I believe the women here that do it have the education and talent to do it themselves. But the women I see in the "real" world that are self-proclaimed self relaxers always look to me like they did their relaxer at home. The texture just isn't consistent. I can always tell. I agree that professionals can cause major problems as well - but I believe that it's better to spend your time looking diligently for a good stylist until you find one than to relax at home with lye or anything else.

It's such a dangerous process if done incorrectly, that I personally don't believe in taking those kinds of chances. If one really researches a stylist and gets several recommendations and adequate information about them, you can pretty much tell if they meet your standards. I think most of the time when people have trouble with stylists it's because they just plop down in the chair and say - "Touch me up!" without having any clue exactly how this individual works. You should have watched them apply a relaxer - more than once. And you should have several recommendations from either people you trust or people whose hair is similar to yours and looks healthy and vibrant, or both.....

That's the way to pick a stlyist. And many of us don't bother with this process. We just sit down and surrender years of hard work into the hands of a stranger....it's no wonder many people feel doing it themselves is better. That's like not doing any research on a used car, buying it, getting a lemon, and deciding it's really better just to build your own car....not necessarily, is all I'm sayin' ....LOL! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And most of all with self-realxing particualrly with lye....Just because it doesn't burn, or it doesn't appear as if you are doing any damage doesn't mean you haven't done some and that you won't see it over the long term...

I just thank my lucky stars that I have FINALLY found a stylist who is fanatical about
1- Basing the scalp heavily
2- NOT overlapping the relaxer
3- NOT gettin it on my scalp
4- Using Neutralizing Conditioner BEFORE shampoo
Even if I've scratched my head the day OF my relaxer she doesn't burn me.

I've never done my own relaxer and would be petrified to try. I just know I would jack it up. I can handle almost anything else that has to do with my hair except that. I don't know what I'll do when I finally move because I'll be lost.

i used to do mine at home when my hair was shorter. i think i was lucky that i didn't have any mishaps because i don't remember being all that focused on avoiding overlapping. now that my hair is longer, i wouldn't risk it (especially in the back).

i'm lucky to have come across caring stylists, but having it done by a "professional" doesn't always guarantee that it will be done right... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

adrienne

I have relaxed my own hair in the past, and I prefer to go to a trustworthy stylist now when I need a retouch. I need a retouch soon and I'll probably do it myself this time because money is a little tight. What Adrienne said is right - just because one goes to a stylist doesn't mean that person is good and won't cause damage to your hair. Good stylists know what they're doing. This board is great because we can get great regional recommendations on hairdressers (AmilLion, I can't wait to try Marvin!).

I recently found a smidgen of hair at the nape of my neck that broke - it was so small that it took me a long time to even notice. How did that happen? My last stylist probably didn't rinse the sink properly between my relaxer and conditioner, so the relaxer brushed against my nape. Which goes to show that not all hairdressers know how to avoid damage.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I recently found a smidgen of hair at the nape of my neck that broke - it was so small that it took me a long time to even notice. How did that happen? My last stylist probably didn't rinse the sink properly between my relaxer and conditioner, so the relaxer brushed against my nape. Which goes to show that not all hairdressers know how to avoid damage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kitkat this is how my hair had broken several months ago. I switched to a stylist who did not allow her shampoo"tech" to rinse out my relaxer and found one who cared enough to do that herself. It has made a world of difference in that area of my hair and that part is longer than it's been in a LONG time because so many stylists made the same "mistake".

Back