Should type 1/2 use protein? Would you give them advice?

Fine 4s

I overheard a Caucasian woman talking to an AA woman about how much her daughter's hair was breaking due to the overuse of blow dryers and flat irons. Based on the mothers hair and her comments she might have type 2 hair. She stated that she was braiding her daughter's hair and noticed a section of broken hairs in the middle.

I wanted to give her some advice about using protein but held back from doing so. Not because it was unsolicited (that never stops me) but mostly because I don't know for sure if the products we use here such as ApHogee etc. are appropriate for type 1 or 2 with breakage issues (or even the mild 2 min one for example).

Would you feel comfortable giving advice to a Caucasian person with type 1/2 hair with or without them knowing about your hair care expertise (the issue of establishing credibility)?

Should they DC and use protein treatments? If so, how often?
I noticed some heads that could use a good DC because they blow dry e'ryday and flat iron e'ryday and the ends look FRIED! Ironically I feel comfortable giving advice to Latinas with type 1-2-3 hair...

I'm mostly interested in WHO the advice is given to and not whether this is solicited or unsolicited advice (although I know this is a no-no for some of you lovely ladies).

Would you do give the advice?

Yup I give advice to my type 1 family members all the time. The mainadvice being to stop using heat every day. No amount of protein or dcing can fix the damage incurred from constant heat usage and coloring. I also convinced my white sister to braid her hair at night.

Anyway, if the person is a type 2 I'd direct them to naturallycurly.com because they'll get great info there. Type 1's can get haircare info from any magazine since it's written with them in mind anyway.

Back