Should Relaxer Be Applied to The Underside

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
You know how during relaxing you pull down 1/2 inch sections (or however big you make yours) and apply relaxer to the top of the section. Does anyone apply relaxer to the underside of the sections as well?

I see exactly what you're saying. I think my hair is kind of coarse/resistant. I had to go back and do an underprocessed section from 3 weeks ago. I decided to put the relaxer on the underside and the hair got SO straight but not "weak" straight. Maybe I just need to do smaller sections to get the same result. I was very pleased.

Last edited:
You seem to be enjoying the world of self relaxing:) I'm 4a/4b and I have to put it on both sides. My last stylist did this and it works for me!

KhandiB said:
I Do cuz If I dont, I will be severly underprocessed...

You are so rigth about that! i have did it both ways (one-sides just out of laziness) and I was very underprocessed.

I've always done this also because I've seen stylists do this and it seems to provide better coverage so that all the new growth is touched up.

I apply relaxer to the underside as well...IMO all of the hair is not being relaxed the same if I don't do it that way.

crlsweetie912 said:
Always done this. Only if you take super thin sections can you be able to get away with only doing one side.

I agree. I apply the relaxer to thin sections of hair. By the time I go back to smooth it out, body heat has already cause the the relaxer to work it's way from the top down as well as up from the section below. Also when I smooth, I don't smooth in the same direction/manner that I applied the relaxer. That way I know that I'm checking a different area and making sure that it has good coverage. If not, I'll add more relaxer there.

myco said:
I apply the relaxer to thin sections of hair. By the time I go back to smooth it out, body heat has already cause the the relaxer to work it's way from the top down as well as up from the section below. Also when I smooth, I don't smooth in the same direction/manner that I applied the relaxer. That way I know that I'm checking a different area and making sure that it has good coverage. If not, I'll add more relaxer there.

I follow the same process.

OT. KhandiB, you're hair is looking GORGEOUS!!!

Back