Should I just do it myself.... (long)

pinkchocolatedaisy

I'm really interested in trying to roller set and flat iron my own hair. Problem is, I seem to suck at roller-setting my hair.. :nono: I want to try to do it before Easter. I tried 3x last year with botched results. Well I only tried to flat iron or blow dry and flat iron. I think the key for me is to roller set first. Even with my HAM rollersets I have tried, I noticed my ends were soft and smooth- something I don't seem to get when I flat iron.

Now I've read tons of threads on rollersetting and flat ironing techniques. I've stalked a few fotkis and tried watching a few youtube videos (hard with a very curious 11 month old getting into everything lol :wallbash:)
...or go to a salon?

So I'm ready to take the plunge. I called an Aveda salon (I don't have a lot of friends that go to salons and those that do are of a different race so...). I asked if they had exp doing AA hair and they said they did and they did rollersets and flat ironing- either or both. I was told it was fine if I bring my own products. The reviews I read online looked promising.

So I haven't made an appt yet b/c I'm wondering if I could just do this myself. I flat ironed my DD hair for her 10th bday about a week and a half ago (but she's more like a 3a/3b). I was afraid but I blow dried her hair and flat ironed using my GHD iron. Her hair lasted almost a week and reverted with no issues.

But we have different hair so I'm not even trying to fool myself! Whenever I tried to do my hair its frizz city! I'd really like to try again.....should I do it myself and put my pricey iron to use or go to a *professional*?

^ (sigh) You're right lol. I'm just such a perfectionist & I get sooo frustrated. I'm also cheap lol. What type of rollers do you suggest for a novice? Does anyone use mesh rollers? And where is a good place to buy them cheap? Ebay?

I am rollersetting challenged as well. I say check out some youtube videos on rollersetting and give it a try at home. You may also want to try the ponytail rollersetting technique or maybe caruso rollers. Youtube is a great place to get some ideas.

My hair texture is quite similar to yours and I get pretty good results. Just take your time and perhaps even rollerset that night and flat-iron in the morning to give yourself more time. Also, try using the chase method and flat-iron in very thin sections ( > 1/4 of an inch).

Here's a rollerset tutorial I posted on fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kblc06/new-hair-year-2-jan/wet-rollerset-tutor/

Here's an example of the chase method: http://www.youtube.com/user/ladylibra1982#p/u/20/v7L2Ojp2uZ4

Try it...Worse case scenario, you can wash it out and start over again...and that's free or minimal...you can do it!!!!

My hair texture is quite similar to yours and I get pretty good results. Just take your time and perhaps even rollerset that night and flat-iron in the morning to give yourself more time. Also, try using the chase method and flat-iron in very thin sections ( > 1/4 of an inch).

Here's a rollerset tutorial I posted on fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kblc06/new-hair-year-2-jan/wet-rollerset-tutor/

Here's an example of the chase method: http://www.youtube.com/user/ladylibra1982#p/u/20/v7L2Ojp2uZ4

^ Thanks. I can't wait to get to get to my computer to check it out.

i would definitely try doing it myself the first time. i'm all about the DIY...because i'm cheap and broke. :look::grin:

^^ Girl I am cheap too. LOL. You guys are giving me major confidence. My next two weekends are busy but I am already planning to take the Friday before Easter off so maybe I will do it then.

I can rollerset on bone straight hair so I wouldn't be able to give any good advice. I do co-sign on the caruso. I get wonderful results with them. I normally flat iron my hair and wear it straight the first day, the next morning I roll my hair first thingwith the caruso rollers and then began getting ready for work. By the time I'm dressed, pull the rollers out and all set. I think I got mine for 25 at sallys

ETA: Trying to post from your phone really sucks. I see sooo many errors, going to correct.
^ (sigh) You're right lol. I'm just such a perfectionist & I get sooo frustrated. I'm also cheap lol. What type of rollers do you suggest for a novice? Does anyone use mesh rollers? And where is a good place to buy them cheap? Ebay?

Last edited:
Like everyone else I agree you have to keep trying! All the women in my family do their own hair and thats what Im used to so it KILLS to spend the money in the salon cuz cheap is my middle name! It can be frustrating so take your time. Start early in the day so you dont feel rushed. And remember it doesnt have to be perfect! Depending on my patience that day my rollerset may be sloppy but if youre going to flat iron it afterward it doesnt really matter. Practice make perfect! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Practicee the roller setting! Its worth it!

Quoted for truth

Seriously if you can get the hang of roller setting it is very good for your hair. It leaves your hair and ends smooth for days and I'm able to retain moisture more effectively because of this imo.

It also:-

Gives my hair bounce and volume
Gives my hair a lovely silky straightness particularly when wrapped. I feel no need to flat iron.
It keeps my hair looking and feeling soft

Keep practicing you will get there don't use too many products initially, just keep it simple (water and perhaps a leave in) and remove distractions. It's worth persevering.

Back