Should I even bother trimming/cutting? Split ends problem...

livesoundtech

Every time I get an inch or two cut from my hair, within 3-4 weeks I have split ends everywhere. Some of the strands split into three or more parts. I'm unbelievably frustrated because I haven't had any retention of growth in at least two years.

I got a two-inch cut on September 2, 2008... and started a new regimen at the end of September (when I joined LHCF). At that time, I gave up all chemicals and I'm now trying to grow healthy hair again. (I never used relaxers, but I dyed my hair as often as every three weeks... for over 8 years.)

Since starting my LHCF journey, I've been very gentle with my hair and I do not comb or brush it excessively. I deep condition once per week, cowash three times per week, and wash with diluted shampoo on the other days. I have not used any dyes or chemicals, I switched to gentle shampoos, and I have cut down on flat ironing to once every other week (as opposed to multiple times per week).

I don't know if I should even bother to trim these split ends away. If I stop doing these trims, might I get lucky and retain more growth? Maybe the ends won't split so far up? I actually stopped flat ironing for a month or so and got split ends anyway.

I'm so frustrated, and doing a BC is not even an option for me... I'd be too devastated and I'd just give up altogether. I'd be willing to cut a few inches if I'd be able to retain new growth, but I don't think that's even possible. What can I do to prevent split ends? :nono:

EDIT - To make my question more clear, I am looking to adjust my regimen to help prevent split ends, and I am looking for advice on whether or not to continue trimming or dusting.

I don't worry about split ends too much. I rarely ever trim my hair, and I occasionally notice split ends, but usually if I see them I'll do a search and destroy and only clip the split ends that I see. Ever since I started dividing my hair into two "indian" braids and sealing the ends with shea butter and coconut oil I've noticed my splits go down a lot. I noticed more splits when I slept with my ends out, even when I covered my hair with a satin/silk scarf. And I've also given up combing my hair when it's dry. I only comb my hair when it's wet and with conditioner in it. I think splits are things that naturally happen from time to time.

I would say that you need to cut the damage, but more than that, you need to find out what is causing it in the first place. Specifically, what products are you using. maybe we can help you find out if one is the culprit based on our collective experiences

What kind of scissor did you or they used? If the scissor was used for other object to cut probably cause your ends to split because something on the blades or it probably wasnt sharp enough to cut it better?

Did you moisturize your ends daily? Try use organic carrot oils, it helped for my ends alot, I dont rly get alot of split ends because of it. :yep:

I have a similar issue. I had a major cut in July after I joined the board- got rid of all split ends, have only used direct heat 3 times in 4 months, consistent protective styling, daily moisture, deep conditioning, and...yeah..my ends are starting to look split again. :wallbash:...... I'm not going to cut, though. I've made too much progress. I'm thinking about ending my stretch early to relax and dust, freshly relaxed hair seems less "stressed" and I may not have to manipulate so much.

Any more ideas/ suggestions???

:bump:

I really feel that when I was dying often, I had soft, silky hair... and now that I've stopped dying, my hair is freaking out on me. The parts near my scalp get tangled into knots (I guess the new growth) and it is so hard to get them out. It looks like half of all my strands are split after this cut.

Sigh... so frustrating.

I have a similar issue. I had a major cut in July after I joined the board- got rid of all split ends, have only used direct heat 3 times in 4 months, consistent protective styling, daily moisture, deep conditioning, and...yeah..my ends are starting to look split again. :wallbash:...... I'm not going to cut, though. I've made too much progress. I'm thinking about ending my stretch early to relax and dust, freshly relaxed hair seems less "stressed" and I may not have to manipulate so much.

Any more ideas/ suggestions???

:bump:
I agree with you mizzdebbi. I foolishly trimmed some precious length from my hair because my stylist put too much setting lotion on it that made my hair and ends very hard and dry. I could kick myself for not washing and deep conditioning once again and re-evaluating before making that decision to trim. :wallbash: But, I've decided to let that go, and add it to my list of lessons learned. There's no point in me having long, midback length hair someday only to lose it with silly setbacks. I'd rather have setbacks along the journey than a huge one when I reach the goal. Gotta stay positive, prayed up and focused! :yep:

I do think you should cut split ends, but maybe get some advise from some more experienced ladies who have gone through this on how to avoid the damaged ends.

Throw away ALL of YOUR BRUSHES!!!

Baggy your ends EVERY NIGHT!!!

Sleep on SATIN/SILK PILLOWCASES !!!

Steam/Deep Condition at least once a week for 45 minutes+ !!!

You said that you used to dye your hair quite often before you started your new regimen in September. I think that your hair (not the new growth, but the length of it) might be damaged beyond repair and that's why it is splitting no matter what you do. I've never dyed my hair but I can imagine that getting a chemical service every few weeks would really cause a problem.

If your hair is damaged, no matter how much you cut it's going to continue to split until you get to the healthy new growth. I personally wouldn't keep cutting because it's not going to solve the problem (unless you get rid of ALL the damaged hair). Eventually you will have to cut it off.

In the mean time, castor oil is really good for my ends. It coats them and has kept them from splitting. It also has gotten out single strand knots. You could try that.

You said that you used to dye your hair quite often before you started your new regimen in September. I think that your hair (not the new growth, but the length of it) might be damaged beyond repair and that's why it is splitting no matter what you do. I've never dyed my hair but I can imagine that getting a chemical service every few weeks would really cause a problem.

You make a great point. I totally overlooked the damaged part. I started my haircare journey after a terrible bleach job, and you're absolutely right. If you hair has color damage, your ends will not look totally healthy until all of the damaged hair is gone. Great point!

If your hair is damaged, no matter how much you cut it's going to continue to split until you get to the healthy new growth. I personally wouldn't keep cutting because it's not going to solve the problem (unless you get rid of ALL the damaged hair). Eventually you will have to cut it off.

In the mean time, castor oil is really good for my ends. It coats them and has kept them from splitting. It also has gotten out single strand knots. You could try that.
:yep::yep:i agree damage is not only at the ends of your hair it can also be midstrand. you really wont be able to have perfect hair until u get most of that color out.

I would at least dust them a little. We want our hair to grow true enough, but we want it to be some what healthy. Trim a little at a time....Read some tips here (Ultimate Guide to Growing Healthy Long Hair: 20 Steps Teach You How to Grow Long Hair) Good Luck Anna

Back