Should I cut my hair or let it grow out?

belletropjolie

My hair is confusing me as it is thick and full towards the roots but gets sparse towards the ends (see attached pics).

I've had prior damage to my hair but never got a full cut. Instead I trimmed roughly every 6 months and did regular S&D. My hair is not thickening up towards the ends and seems to be thinning even more.

I am contemplating cutting it to shoulder length. Any advice?

Last edited:
I vote to let go of those ends and get a blunt cut. Your hair will grow back in no time when the ends are healthy and there isless breakage. It doesn't look like you need to cut all the way to shoulder length, though, but evening your hair it will definitely help your journey in the long run.

OP, I'm ITA with yuhlovevybz - I don't think you need to cut to SL; it looks like your thickest length is closer to APL.

I think a trim is called for. Those ends are not worth holding onto. But I also don't think you need to cut to shoulder length.

I think you should cut little by little....maybe two inches for now.....and another inch or so in the next 2-3 months....

How do you wear it? Do u do anything special to the ends when u wash?

I ps 90% of the time either in weaves or in buns. I don't do anything special to my ends other than m&s and conditioning.

Are there any special things I can do for my ends specifically? bunnie82 , are there special treatments that target my ends?

I don't like cutting either but coming from experience if you do not cut them off then your length will remain at the same spot all the time. I held on to ends like that and for 9 months I retained absolutely nothing.

My 1st siggie I held on thinking there was such a thing as 'grow it out'. Notice 9 months later (April 2011) I was in the same spot! So I trimmed that day and notice it only took 4 month increments after that to see retention. Cut it. It's not worth it.

You should get rid of all the damage once and for all instead of getting a trim every six months. It doesn't seem like you need to cut all the way to shoulder length though. After you get your hair back on track you should be able to continue with your bi-annual trims.

Slowly cut a few inches andd then let it be. My hair grows unevenly , once I learned to accept that and stopped trying to even it out constantly and let it catch up my hair started thriving.

I don't like cutting either but coming from experience if you do not cut them off then your length will remain at the same spot all the time. I held on to ends like that and for 9 months I retained absolutely nothing.

My 1st siggie I held on thinking there was such a thing as 'grow it out'. Notice 9 months later (April 2011) I was in the same spot! So I trimmed that day and notice it only took 4 month increments after that to see retention. Cut it. It's not worth it.

Thank you pre_medicalrulz!!! You described exactly what I don't want to happen. I'm worried that I won't see the fruit of my hardwork if my ends constantly look a mess.

I'm comfortable doing trims by myself but I'm nervous about doing a DIY cut in case I cut it unevenly. Did you get your hair cut professionally or did you do it yourself?

I'm thinking I may cut to APL not shoulder. My goal is to baby my ends and hopefully get to a full BSL by March.

You are welcome.

I actually had my mom bluntly cut across to APL in the April picture. I haven't had it bluntly cut like that since then. If you can, have someone you know do it for you. Hold a mirror up so that you can watch exactly where they are cutting. That way you can stop them in their tracks if they place the scissors too far up for your disliking.

You are welcome.

I actually had my mom bluntly cut across to APL in the April picture. I haven't had it bluntly cut like that since then. If you can, have someone you know do it for you. Hold a mirror up so that you can watch exactly where they are cutting. That way you can stop them in their tracks if they place the scissors too far up for your disliking.

I wish I had someone to cut it for me but I don't. I was contemplating going to a salon for the cut but I'm dreading all those horror stories I keep hearing of salons.

I think what I'll do is straighten my hair then use either bobby pins or hair ties up to the part and then cut any hair after the pinned part. Does that make sense? I'm hoping to get it in a straight line and super blunt appreciate any tips in case I may be doing it all wrong.

The funny thing is I'm not nervous or scared of the cut. Maybe because I'm confident it'll grow back. I really think I could get back to Bsl by March.

Off topic, what lenght woukd you say my hair is now. BSL right?

Cut it. You'll feel better, and it will look fabulous.

Are you relaxed or natural? If relaxed, how many weeks post. If natural, how long?

I wish I had someone to cut it for me but I don't. I was contemplating going to a salon for the cut but I'm dreading all those horror stories I keep hearing of salons.

I think what I'll do is straighten my hair then use either bobby pins or hair ties up to the part and then cut any hair after the pinned part. Does that make sense? I'm hoping to get it in a straight line and super blunt appreciate any tips in case I may be doing it all wrong.

The funny thing is I'm not nervous or scared of the cut. Maybe because I'm confident it'll grow back. I really think I could get back to Bsl by March.

Off topic, what lenght woukd you say my hair is now. BSL right?

belletropjolie

Sally's has this cutting comb that you can use that gets the hair decently straight. My hair doesn't get straight enough for cutting with it but I know others use it with success.

Attachments

• fafa7cc40360244d91864852a4e74bcd_best.jpg
    fafa7cc40360244d91864852a4e74bcd_best.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 51
just a blunt cut across. don't cut it to SL, it's not needed.

can you put it in a ponytail and cut the ends, like 2 inches maybe?

you need 3 inches off.

Last edited:
I recently made a decision to cut and seeing everyone say cut makes me feel better about my decision. :)

OP good luck with your decision.

belletropjolie

cut btw 2-4 inches, protective style,and baby your ends from here on out. it will grow back quicker than you think. please share your products and reggie, so we can help further tweak things.

Well besides those ends your hair is gorgeous. I think u should cut it to apl and also... How do u take care of ur hair in a sew in? I remember in 2008 when i started rockin sew ins and my ends would look like that afterwards. Your haor is gonna look great after the blunt cut

I say cut the thin ends. I cut my hair just below shoulder length with layers at the beginning of the year (had to cut almost 4 inches off MAJOR SETBACK!) now im an inch away from BSL and thats with two addition trims, one 1inch and the second 1/2inch. I couldnt be happier with the results I see. :)

Back