Should I be concerned?

awhyley

So, last year I wanted to work at a particular firm. I enlisted the help of a friend who worked there, however it didn't pan out, (and not for his lack of trying). Quite a few persons were promoted, thus there was no space to bring me onboard. Some time had passed when we crossed paths again and he asked me out. I politely declined and kept it moving.

Now I'm up for an interview with this very firm next week, and learned yesterday that he will be the interviewer! He got a promotion since then and is now one of the managers. He's a stand up guy, but now I'm very nervous. Should I be worried? Anything I should do/not do? Any tips would be appreciated.

<Please do not quote>

I don't think you should be worried. I think had you went out with him, it would have complicated things.

Hopefully someone will give you some tips on how to spend it into a positive if he subject comes up. But I would jokingly said good thing yall didn't go out because the interview would have been complicated. Just treat it as a regular interview. Don't let your guard down cause you know him.

I think the right thing for HIM to do, is to not do the interview. Have someone else interview you. It would make me feel very uncomfortable.

I would be worried. Nevertheless it could work both ways, he might hire you just in case he thinks you will change your mind or he might not because you turned him down. Either way, he should let someone else interview you. It's a pity it's not up to you.

Ohmigosh, I've been in a similar situation--I didn't know the guy was going to co-interview me until I walked in. I don't think you should be nervous (although I was. I was very nervous and the guy ended up trying to subtly help me not look dumbfounded by saying, "and InchHigh actually has worked on ____ and _____, right InchHigh? Expound on that.") Anyway, I do think--although you have no control over it--that he should, for the sake of full disclosure let someone else conduct the interview or have a co-interviewer. In my situation the guy told his boss, the co-interviewer--upfront that we had been...friends, and then he tried to subtly keep me on track.

I only mention all that because he was basically very helpful while still remaining neutral and I was the one who sabotaged myself by being nervous--so you don't be nervous and I'm sure things will work out! :)

ETA: and I agree with @Keen. Don't let your guard down just because you know him. Be at the comfort level you would in a normal interview--confident and not too nervous but not too casual.

Last edited:
I don't think you have anything to worry about. You didn't do anything wrong and you didn't accept his date. Hopefully, he's not holding a grudge because you turned him down. Now had you accepted his date and it didn't turn out well, you would probably have something to worry about, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Good luck in your interview.

Many men hold grudges. And if he's an insecure guy, this would be a good time to "put you in your place". I would treat it as a regular interview, but not expect to get that job. If you get it, GREAT! But if you don't, that may be one of the reasons why.

I think you'll be still be nervous/ worried about this, no matter what we say here. I think the best thing is to just prepare for it like any other interview. Know your stuff. Then just perform the best you can.

At least when you walk out of the interview, you'll know YOU did everything you could and put your best foot forward. That's all you're in control of. Your perfomance. Focus on that. If he decides it mess it up for you (I hope not. If he was that mean, I doubt you'd even have gotten the interview??), that's between him and karma.

Back