Short Hair Rollerset with Pics

ldp

This is for all my short hair ladies that don't think they can wear their hair in a roller set. I won't tell you what I did, because I'm sure we all have our own rollerset process. (Don't think I'm trying to keep it a secret :grin::grin:.) However, if you want to know what I did, just ask and I'll be more than happy to share.

Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lpurdie/RollerSet31507?authkey=ST852Co3rb4

When I rollerset I leave my hair curly, but you can use bigger rollers if you want to comb it out and wrap.

alexstin said:
I love it! I think flexirods work well with any hair length.:)

Thanks alexstin, the flexirod set in your fotki is beautiful. I can't wait for my hair to reach that length so I can do the same! :)

ldp said:
Thanks alexstin, the flexirod set in your fotki is beautiful. I can't wait for my hair to reach that length so I can do the same! :)

Good job! Thanks for posting pics. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep my flexirods from slipping out of the shorter hair in my nape.

Cayenne0622 said:
Good job! Thanks for posting pics. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep my flexirods from slipping out of the shorter hair in my nape.

Have you ever tried using a smaller size so your hair wraps around the rod more?

Ok what did you do. I can do a rollerset with regular rollers but I wanted to try flexi-rods. Kinda of scared becasue I'm not sure what size to get. We have about the same lenght hair so I am going to get the sizes you have. How many did you use? What products did you use? How did you dry? Air or under a dryer? If airdried how long did it take you?

Sorry for all of the questions but I really really want to try this. Going back to study your pictures now :D

Very nice, I roll mine similarly to you like a regular set. I have pics in my jan/feb album.

Thanks LDP for that tutorial.

I think its the best Ive seen, as far as the actual placement of the

flexi rods and how to roll. I've always wanted to try to use the flexi's

but I wasnt sure how to do it until I just saw your photos. Youve

been a huge help! Thanks again! :)

LadyR said:
Ok what did you do. I can do a rollerset with regular rollers but I wanted to try flexi-rods. Kinda of scared becasue I'm not sure what size to get. We have about the same lenght hair so I am going to get the sizes you have. How many did you use? What products did you use? How did you dry? Air or under a dryer? If airdried how long did it take you?

Sorry for all of the questions but I really really want to try this. Going back to study your pictures now :D

Hi Lady R:

Here's what I did. I believe I used about 12 - 15 flexirods. I used the BIG blue ones (I think 1 inch diameter) in the front because I don't like the front extremely curly. I used grey, orange, and red (very small).

- first I washed and DCed
- then I applied garnier fructis creme leave in conditioner
- then I spritzed with castor oil, rosewater, and olive oil (all mixed together) making sure I focused on sealing the ends because I did not want them to be crunchy
- then I parted my hair in 3 equal vertical sections (like you're about to do a regular roller set).
- then I rolled each section down, smaller rollers in the back, gradually increasing in size as I go forward. My hair towards the front of my head is a few different lengths so I used a mixture of rollers on the front and sides. GENERALLY (I put that in caps because I don't always stick to this) I use little red flexirods in the very back, next level up I'll use the small blue ones, which are slightly bigger than the red (not to be mistaken with the huge blue ones), then the next level up I'll use orange, next I'll use grey, and end with the huge blue ones (for the sides I continue with the grey. Big blue is only used in the center section)

- I roll the flexirods down (with roller papers on the ends of my hair) much like you would if you were doing a regular roller set. After rolling downwards this is what my hair looks like as soon as I take the flexirods out:

100_0867.jpg

However alexstin has a tutorial in her fotki on how to spiral roll the flexirods. I find it easier to roll down with shorter hair.

- Drying is the hard part. I usually roll my hair and do whatever I have to do. Then about an hour and half before I'm ready to go to sleep I'll sit under the drier. THEN, I'll take out some of the flexirods to see if my hair is dry. If not dry after an 1 - 1.5 hours, I'll go to bed and let them dry the rest of the way while sleeping.

- I think the most important thing when roller setting short hair is keeping is well moisturized and oil because unlike our long hair sistas we can't pull it back in a ponytail if it looks jacked up. If you hair is well moisturized and turns out jacked up you can at least try to comb it into a somewhat decent style.

I hope that helps. If not then I'll take some more pics the next time I roll my hair which will be sometime this weekend. (if I don't get it braided.) Let me know if this helps any. :)

Cayenne0622 said:

When my hair was a little longer I would two strand twist the back then do a bantu knot. Now I really don't have a nape to two-strand twist. :ohwell: It looked just like it was rolled when I took it out the bantu knot.

lonei said:
Very nice, I roll mine similarly to you like a regular set. I have pics in my jan/feb album.

Lonei, I've stalked your fotki before :eek: and your hair is gorgeous!

And the flexirod set is amazing. You and alexstin make me anxious to flexirod set longer hair. Can't wait to get to that point.

ldp said:
Lonei, I've stalked your fotki before :eek: and your hair is gorgeous!

And the flexirod set is amazing. You and alexstin make me anxious to flexirod set longer hair. Can't wait to get to that point.

Oh thanks, but I think you inspire people with shorter hair to try new and different things, you have proved that it can be done, god bless.

lonei said:

OMG, your flexirod set is so sick, Lonei. :eek: Your hair looks so great! And you kept the same style for 18 days and counting? :eek: I'm going to need to try this as a protective style now.

I see that you wear them in a net overnight? Do you pin them up as well underneath the net? I love curls, but I can never seen to keep them overnight.

Thanks Idp for posting this:) This is very helpful. For the bang did you just pinned it to the side or did you roll it too?

This is soo cute!! You did a great job! I never tried the flexirods for a rollerset, but you make a sistah wanna try. I wear my hair in a very similar hairstyle. This is mine with regular rollers. Have you tried those yet?:

Attachments

• rollersetmyhairback.jpg
    rollersetmyhairback.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 18
sunshinebeautiful said:
OMG, your flexirod set is so sick, Lonei. :eek: Your hair looks so great! And you kept the same style for 18 days and counting? :eek: I'm going to need to try this as a protective style now.

I see that you wear them in a net overnight? Do you pin them up as well underneath the net? I love curls, but I can never seen to keep them overnight.

Wow, thanks! I either wear them in the net with a loose scarf or up in a loose pony as picture with a loose scarf. I dont pin them in the net i just kind of tuck them under. I never thought I could either but if I oil, spearate and shake the curls every few days, it lasts and lasts. Give it a go!

gorgeoushair said:
Thanks Idp for posting this:) This is very helpful. For the bang did you just pinned it to the side or did you roll it too?

I did roll the bang, but I had to flat iron it in the morning. It was a little unruly.

nomoweavesfome said:
This is soo cute!! You did a great job! I never tried the flexirods for a rollerset, but you make a sistah wanna try. I wear my hair in a very similar hairstyle. This is mine with regular rollers. Have you tried those yet?:

Yours with regular rollers looks amazing. If I use regular rollers I look like a poodle.

I got a rollerset with regular rollers. I did not do it myself though. Since we are sharing, here are the pics (after a few days)

Attachments

• 03142007rollerset.jpg
    03142007rollerset.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 03142007rollerset2.jpg
    03142007rollerset2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 21
ldp said:
Hi Lady R:

Here's what I did. I believe I used about 12 - 15 flexirods. I used the BIG blue ones (I think 1 inch diameter) in the front because I don't like the front extremely curly. I used grey, orange, and red (very small).

- first I washed and DCed
- then I applied garnier fructis creme leave in conditioner
- then I spritzed with castor oil, rosewater, and olive oil (all mixed together) making sure I focused on sealing the ends because I did not want them to be crunchy
- then I parted my hair in 3 equal vertical sections (like you're about to do a regular roller set).
- then I rolled each section down, smaller rollers in the back, gradually increasing in size as I go forward. My hair towards the front of my head is a few different lengths so I used a mixture of rollers on the front and sides. GENERALLY (I put that in caps because I don't always stick to this) I use little red flexirods in the very back, next level up I'll use the small blue ones, which are slightly bigger than the red (not to be mistaken with the huge blue ones), then the next level up I'll use orange, next I'll use grey, and end with the huge blue ones (for the sides I continue with the grey. Big blue is only used in the center section)

- I roll the flexirods down (with roller papers on the ends of my hair) much like you would if you were doing a regular roller set. After rolling downwards this is what my hair looks like as soon as I take the flexirods out:

100_0867.jpg

However alexstin has a tutorial in her fotki on how to spiral roll the flexirods. I find it easier to roll down with shorter hair.

- Drying is the hard part. I usually roll my hair and do whatever I have to do. Then about an hour and half before I'm ready to go to sleep I'll sit under the drier. THEN, I'll take out some of the flexirods to see if my hair is dry. If not dry after an 1 - 1.5 hours, I'll go to bed and let them dry the rest of the way while sleeping.

- I think the most important thing when roller setting short hair is keeping is well moisturized and oil because unlike our long hair sistas we can't pull it back in a ponytail if it looks jacked up. If you hair is well moisturized and turns out jacked up you can at least try to comb it into a somewhat decent style.

I hope that helps. If not then I'll take some more pics the next time I roll my hair which will be sometime this weekend. (if I don't get it braided.) Let me know if this helps any. :)

Thanks I really want to try flexi-rods. I may get some tonight and try it. I am going to try a spiral set and hope for the best. I think I will get a pack of orange and grey and see what happens. I may try it with the scafe method and just do the back first and go from there.

Back