Shikakai and amla powders for conditioning?

Wow! I loved that video. Sorry, I haven't used either powders for conditioning but it seems like a great idea. It was nice to see how the mixture was supposed to look after she prepared it. I wonder where she got the recipe from...

OT: I don't agree with how much the video producer combed and brushed the little model's hair.

HEY! I definitely am a believer in the powers of Shikakai powder. I posted about my results a week ago and put pics in my fotki. This is the BEST conditioner I have EVER used. I don't know about amla but I am dying to try it.

shoooot.....Mama was not playing with that hair brush. I see why the lil girl was saying oouuuchhh! I enjoyed it tough. All 9 plus mins of it.

Anyhoo(LOL) loved the video! I am going to try the acv w/water to spray my scalp for fungus only in the crown area and see what happens.

Thanks

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
SHIKAKAI HERBAL HAIR OIL
Shikakai Herbal Hair Oil has a unique natural formula containing Shikakai ( a natural antiseptic) and other ingredients which cleans the flow of sebum on your scalp preventing dandruff and hair loss and leaves the hair clean, soft and healthy from root to tip.
This is an intensive conditioning treatment which nourishes your hair and scalp leaving it shiny and healthy!
*When the scalp is regularly oiled this prevents excessive build-up of sebum on your scalp which prevents dandruff and promotes healthy hair growth.
The oil is massaged gently into the scalp after washing your hair- leave it on for 15 minutes or longer ( for best results leave the oil on overnight sometimes if the hair is badly damaged) - then rinse off and shampoo. Simple!
Or you might choose to keep the oil on for that shiny fashionable look!
Regular use may have the following benefits, nourishes your scalp and strengthens the roots of your hair, giving you thicker and lusturous hair growth. It rejuvenates the hair by feeding the hair shafts. May also prevent hair loss and premature greying.
Ingredients include: Shikakai, Mineral Oil, Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera) Coconut Palm Extract, Castor Oil, Extract of Amla, Extract of Brahmi, Indian Penny Wort, Oil Extract of Neem, Indian Lilac.
SHIKAKAI HERBAL SHAMPOO
200 ml
ANTI DANDRUFF SHAMPOO
Extracts of Shikakai, Natural Fruit Soap and Olive Oil.
This shampoo uses a special blend or organically grown extracts.
SHIKAKAI is known for it's anti-bacterial and conditioning properties to keep the scalp and hair dandruff-free, healthy, soft and shiny and nourish the roots and shafts of the hair.
It's natural herbs and ingredients nourish your hair from the roots. It is rich in protein, linoleic, oleic and palmatic oil.
The shampoo contains SHIKAKAI, NEEM, RITHA (natural soap pods) which are naturally low in PH balance and gently cleans the hair and scalp and maintains the natural oils.

Sorry for this but i just had to show ya'll what i am using on my hair at the mo

[/FONT]
I was actually going to start a thread on this. I bought both of these recently and have been very impressed. I have been trying to explore natural alternatives for hair and also to look into indian oils and herbs for hair.
The ingredients were the things that drew me to buy these two and i havnt looked back since.
Shikakai is reaaally good;)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

I have some Shikakai powder that I got as a sample from one of the HFH suppliers. I may have to give it a try.

I've used shikakai and amla for years and they are definitely good products. They are cheap and available at almost any East Indian/Pakistani store. I mix it the same way that people mix henna and apply it as a paste. This doesn't have a dye release like henna so you can apply it as soon as you mix it. Leave it on for several hours and then rinse. I was reading a post that someone made about henna and they recommended laying down in a tub of warm water to get out most of the henna. That works for amla/shikakai as well. A good deal of the grit just falls down in the tub. Then I stand and rinse the rest out under the showerhead. I shampoo with Cream of Nature and then deep condition.

Over time, this will definitely strengthen and darken your hair.

The little girl on the video was adorable.

angellazette said:
myco,

have you ever used the shikakai powder as a paste alone to cleanse the hair?

That's what I thought it was for so I think that is why I never used it.

I was thinking of mixing some in with my cassia for my next treatment.

angellazette said:
myco,

have you ever used the shikakai powder as a paste alone to cleanse the hair?

I think I tried it once and I didn't mixed it correctly. It was too watery, so I probably didn't get the best effect. I was expecting it to suds up at some point. :lol: I didn't let it sit like I should. Ever since then, I've been mixing it with the amla powder and never really tried it as a shampoo again. Either way, it is a really good treatment for the scalp. I use it mostly for the strengthening and darkening properties along with treating my scalp, moreso than the cleansing.

There is also a powder called "Soapnut" that is supposed to work the same way.

Last edited:
Yes. I do this as a hair mudpack treatment but I mix it with LeKair cholesterol as a 2 hour treatment. I add olive oil or hemps seed oil. It is excellent. It is not drippy but more like a "relaxer" consistency. I put a plastic bag on or two. Results have been very satisfactory. I am also going to try the fenugreek as well since it is supposed to make the hair very soft. hth bonjour

I have both these powders and I like them but their to messy for me. My results are good with them though. All the herbs in my fotki are being shipped off to my member buddy tom, I hope she likes them.

i just tried shikakai powder and brahmi powder mixed in my conditioner thanks to a thread recently posted. my hair was very easy to detangle. i will keep using it like this. i did mix it with conditioner, coconut milk and coconut oil and sat under the dryer for about 30 min

Back