• tea rinse

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • other, plz explain

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm one week post and have experienced an increase in shedding. I have a a few options in my stash...black strap molasses, aphogee 2 step or aphogee 2 min. I can even tea rinse if the traditional liptons tea in the tea bags will work. Which is best at one week post?

I would try black tea rinse
& aphogee 2 step (if you think it's due to moisture overload)

but... don't waste your $$$ on apretadora! i got nothing!!

got shedding????

i can't take your avatar.... lil' doggy looks so sad.... so lonely! breaks my heart

This is where a Light weekly reconstructor/protein treatment has been most beneficial for me.:yep:

At one Week Post, I definitely give myself some sort of light/medium protein treatment and may also use a Protein Co-Washer i.e. Millcreek Keratin, Mane N' Tail, HV MoistPRO etc....

I've incorporated Nutrine Garlic Co-Washes for the 1st 3-4 weeks post. Either that, and/or Alter Ego Garlic Deep Conditioners.

*There have been threads where ladies actually buy chopped garlic and/or garlic powder and add to their existing conditioners.

I'm actually 2 weeks post and have experienced little to no shedding.:yep:

Homemade garlic oil applied to the scalp and washed out, black tea rinses (any tea bags will do) , MSM , and garlic pills.
With the tea rinses I let it sit on my scalp and hair for 20 min then I apply whatever conditioner I'm going to use right on top. Make sure you don't skimp on the tea bags. Make the tea strong.

I make my own 'garlic conditioner' and it stops my shedding in its tracks :)

I use garlic powder (not garlic salt) and mix it with a bunch of conditioner (right now I'm using Aussie Moist) and some water. Apply it to scalp (I get some on my hair too) and let sit with shower cap for ~20mins. Then I wash it out with shampoo. Oh, and the garlic smell is strong but it comes out after I wash it.

Hope you find something that works for you!

I too am one week post and like you, I am experiencing shedding. I decided to do a black tea rinse w/ garlic oil and I'm absolutely astounded at the results, the shedding has really decreased.

I've learned so much from this board and I'm truly grateful!!! I love you guys!!!

I would say if you want to use something you already have, do the tea rinse. I'm almost a week post and I have very little shedding and I think it's because I started retaking garlic supplements as well as MSM powder about 2 months or so before I relaxed. I really want to get back to doing tea rinses, I know when I was rinsing weekly my hair really thrived from it.

I chose other. I personally found LHCF coz i was looking for homemade solutions to stop shredding. I mix i tbs garlic with EVOO and JBCO to make a thick paste. Then apply it as a prepoo for an hour. I wear a heat cup. This has worked for me but again i do interchange coz if i use the above mixture on one wash the next wash i prepoo with Aubrey HSRC and i mix it with EVOO.. Thk LHCF i got all these ideas from here. What would i have done without this site??

I just checked out that "got shedding?" thread that tHeHaIRLaB posted... looks like garlic is the key to stop shedding. I feel like I've been shedding like crazy for some odd reason.

I just checked out that "got shedding?" thread that tHeHaIRLaB posted... looks like garlic is the key to stop shedding. I feel like I've been shedding like crazy for some odd reason.
poohbear... u start with black tea rinses???? i go after mine from every angle possible

but black tea rinses slows it faster than garlic (to me).... but i use both

Well if you are talking about shedding Black tea rinse is a good choice. The regular lipton's tea is suppose to be a variation of tea leaves and black tea.. from that information I guess you can use it as a substitute but I would just get Black tea.

Black tea (I don't know about the others) has tannins which supposedly bounds to the keratin in the hair and help gives it strengthen. So you might actually notice stronger hair after a rinse too.. I do. Hope this helps :)

Some good old fashion garlic pills. You should get the ones that are odorless. Shedding is natural so imo nothing topical will really work.

I would say if you want to use something you already have, do the tea rinse. I'm almost a week post and I have very little shedding and I think it's because I started retaking garlic supplements as well as MSM powder about 2 months or so before I relaxed. I really want to get back to doing tea rinses, I know when I was rinsing weekly my hair really thrived from it.

So do you do the tea rinse after you wash out your DC or is the tea rinse more of a pre-poo step?

Shedding doesn't bother me, but I was bored yesterday and decided to try a black tea rinse. I have some tea that I didn't like (tazo organic chai) yuck!

I took 2 bags and boiled them in 2 cups of water, let it steep. Then I got a big 3 liter juice container poured the tea in there and filled the remainder of the jug w/ cold water, bent my head over the sink and poured it on my hair.

Not 1 shed hair came off of my head since I did this yesterday. I did it again today, not 1 hair came off my head since. So I'm going to continue this to see the long term results.

Okay, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't shedding normal? My understanding of shedding was that it was when a hair grown as much as its going to and then it naturally falls out.

Also, I remember reading somewhere, (I'll see if I can find it) that shedding can be affected by the seasons. Some people experience more during the spring/summer, and some during the fall/winter. And some get both! I experienced this myself. Last month or so I was having more shedding than I thought was normal, but after a few weeks or so, it stopped without me doing anything different.

If you are having a problem with breakage, I definitely recommend Aphogee. I would start with the two minute conditioner and then if that doesn't help, I might go on to use the more intensive treatment. The Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer is really good too! It solved my breakage problem earlier this year! :yep:

U kno Sianna, I have to agree with you
I, myself (mind you I'm still only a newbie) considered "shedding" a completely normal cycle that the hair goes through....but BREAKAGE on the other hand is the negative aspect

As a suggestion, you should check the hairs of ur comb, run ur fingers along the length of the hair shaft, and If you feel a white bulb on the end, that would be considered "shedding", and its perfectly normal. Sheded hairs are usually long-or medium in length. Shedding means the end of the "hair's life"....eventually it has reached the end of its growing cycle and from there it falls out.

Now on the Flipside:
hairs that are associated with "breakage" DO NOT have the white bulbs on the end, and usually vary in lenghts, ranging from very long-to very short. If you notice alot of BREAKAGE-hairs then you may have a bit of a problem on ya hands.....

............and personally I think I'm suffering from alil breakage, *thinks about going to pick up some garlic pills from wal-mart tomorrow* :)
Quick question ladies-->>are the garlic PILLS as potent/effective as the garlic powders you all use?

normal shedding has cycles (similar to hair growth cycles)
INCREASED SHEDDING may be a result of many factors, including imbalanced nutrition, hormonal changes, medical conditions, medical treatments....etc.

frequency differs person to person, quantity differs from person to person, causation differs from person to person, thus effective remedies will differ from person to person

Last edited:
Back