Shedding from touchup.

simplyhair

I posted a week ago about getting a touchup (Mizani Sensitive Scalp = Sodium Hydroxide) and the stylist didn't give me a conditioner AND she combed the new growth to smooth it.

Well, it's been one week and three days since the touch and I've noticed quite a bit of shedding. It's not falling out. However, it is the type of shedding when I need a touchup. My hair only sheds like this when I need a touchup...not when it's only 1 1/2 week post relaxer.

The hair is the whole length with the bulb on the end. I also noticed that there is a significant wave pattern on the strands near the bulb.

1. Am I underprocessed?
2. My old stylists used Vitale (No Lye which has Lithium)
3. Did she possibly apply it wrong?
4. Is this a chemical counter between the two relaxers?

I'm not experiencing breakage. I have washed and deep conditioned. Please let me know what you think.

Sorry I could not be more helpful. But I am going through the same thing- I was not underprocessed but I think my hair is growing much more quickly than before so at week three my hair is shedding like it is at week seven.

What I have been trying to do is up my protein treatments to every other week, and keep my hair moisturized and keep up the vitamins.

Ladies here reccomend Nutrine Garlic Shampoo and MSM.

Sometimes our hair goes through a shedding phase.Keep babying your hair and eventually the shedding should slow down.

Mizani Sensitive Scalp is a no-lye relaxer. I'm sorry I don't have any other info or tips but I wanted you to know that.

I tend to shed terribly from no-lye perms. But that's just my experience.
ohwell.gif

Unless the relaxer chemically affected your scalp, it may or may not be the reason for shedding. Breakage, possibly. Do your hair strands have white bulbs at the ends (for shedding)? Shedding can be a result of many things: changes in diet, stress, etc.

Alot of women here have posted results from using Nutrine Garlic Shampoo to reduce shedding. If breakage is the problem than a protein treatment would be useful.

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:
Unless the relaxer chemically affected your scalp, it may or may not be the reason for shedding. Breakage, possibly. Do your hair strands have white bulbs at the ends (for shedding)? Shedding can be a result of many things: changes in diet, stress, etc.

Alot of women here have posted results from using Nutrine Garlic Shampoo to reduce shedding. If breakage is the problem than a protein treatment would be useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the white bulb is on the end of the strands.

Have you been taking any medications? or recently given birth or are pregnant? Various factors can contribute to shedding, including dietary changes and allergies...

simplyhair,
I used the same relaxer (which by the way I believe is no-lye) last year and my hair was going through the same thing.. it was shedding profusely... My hair thinned out alot because of this relaxer. Although my hair felt great (silky smooth) it was coming out like crazy..I'm not sure if it was too strong or she just left it on too long... But I think it was too strong for my 4a/b hair. I can not go back to this relaxer .. My hair is just starting to get back to it's fullness..

Do anyone know WHY the hair sheds more when a re-touch is due?
I just finihed washing my hair, I'm 9weeks post-relaxer and I'm having ALOT of shedding, nothing out of the oridanary(sp?) But, I'm just wondering what the cause is....

do you brush your hair? Is this the first of your shedding attacks? Do you keep your hair moisturized at all times?

Not sure if that reply was to me or the original poster, but no I dont use a brush at all, and I moisterized daily, sometimes 3xs a day. No, I'm use to shedding.

I'm guessing from posts about shedding and relaxing.
Since shedding is a result of hair falling from the scalp --- does that mean relaxers can affect the scalp as well as the hair?

Yeah. I meant you, honeycomb719. Maybe it the fact that you're 9 weeks in--which can be quite a stretch for some. So you use a comb? Do you use any heat on your hair at this time (9 weeks)? If not, and you're letting your hair air dry, then maybe you should take it easy with the combing until you're next touch up. During this time, you should have a nice amount of newgrowth. I learned that the hair shaft is the weakest where the two textures are connected...so when you comb/brush there, it's really easy to snap. May that's thte case...HTH. (Hope that helps)

[ QUOTE ]
Roselyn said:
Yeah. I meant you, honeycomb719. Maybe it the fact that you're 9 weeks in--which can be quite a stretch for some. So you use a comb? Do you use any heat on your hair at this time (9 weeks)? If not, and you're letting your hair air dry, then maybe you should take it easy with the combing until you're next touch up. During this time, you should have a nice amount of newgrowth. I learned that the hair shaft is the weakest where the two textures are connected...so when you comb/brush there, it's really easy to snap. May that's thte case...HTH. (Hope that helps)

[/ QUOTE ]

But you're referring to breakage, not shedding....right?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:
[ QUOTE ]
Roselyn said:

[/ QUOTE ]

But you're referring to breakage, not shedding....right?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I'm taking from it.

by my hair being soooo thin,i hate to relaxer to close 2gether, because I know I will have major probs then...
I plan to go 10weeks bet relaxers
I tried going 12weeks b4 and I learnt that my hair cant handle that
as far as tha combing goes, I'm afraid if I dont comb, my hair will matt, because it happen b4 when I was natural

[ QUOTE ]
honeycomb719 said:
by my hair being soooo thin,i hate to relaxer to close 2gether, because I know I will have major probs then...
as far as tha combing goes, I'm afraid if I dont comb, my hair will matt, because it happen b4 when I was natural

[/ QUOTE ]

WHen I have a lot of new growth I comb my hair with the biggest wide tooth comb I have.. Been doing this for about a week now and I see a major difference with the amount of hair strands that shed.. I also wear my hair pinned up or in a ponytail/bun.. I try not to manipulate it is as much.

[ QUOTE ]
honeycomb719 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

honeycomb719,
I'm week 11 post touchup. If I wet the new growth without combing it, the matting sets in. Combing is not optional for me.

I read that Spagirl and EmeraldSky used wild growth hair oil on their new growth to space out relaxers from 8 weeks (2 months) to 16 weeks (4 months). They highly endorse it.

Douglala said that Keracare Humecto conditioner washes helped her control her new growth up to 16 weeks. Humecto and Elucence MB conditioner washes (with my hair in 6-8 braided sections) are working for me at this point.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
Have you been taking any medications? or recently given birth or are pregnant? Various factors can contribute to shedding, including dietary changes and allergies...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing has changed in my physical status (health/pregnant) or dietary changes.

[ QUOTE ]
Nikki said:
simplyhair,
I used the same relaxer (which by the way I believe is no-lye) last year and my hair was going through the same thing.. it was shedding profusely... My hair thinned out alot because of this relaxer. Although my hair felt great (silky smooth) it was coming out like crazy..I'm not sure if it was too strong or she just left it on too long... But I think it was too strong for my 4a/b hair. I can not go back to this relaxer .. My hair is just starting to get back to it's fullness..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I read on another thread about this relaxer causing excessive shedding. I probably will not go back to this relaxer either.

honeycomb719, if you're still checking this board, what I meant by the breakage is just that: your hair might be breaking off. Breakage can lead to shedding! That's common too! So what if you're not using a brush and that you're washing your hair as schd. There's always a way to tell if it really IS breakage or just "shedding". Do you ever check the hair that falls off onto your shoulders or comb? If the very (end) root of the hair that fell off doesn't have that white round thing (the root) then it IS breakage! If it does have it, then maybe you should try styles that take less munipulation or work (Lots of combing to style). When untouched/unbothered with, the hair will shed less. Plus maybe you could try using a little light protien treatment to strenthen your hair... I'm only tryin' to help if I can so I hope it does...

I used Mizani sensitive scalp for the first time for a 14 week post relaxer touch up and i have not had any noticable problems. Is it to early to notice. You guys sre making me nervous....anyone else out there who had positive resutls with this relaxer?

I always use Mizani sensitive scalp relaxer for the last two year with no problems.
I can go 12 weeks post relaxer even when using my kinda harsh dandruff shampoo.
I always do a heavy duty protein treatment with Dudley's DRC
28 one week before relaxer and two weeks after relaxer.

Back