Relaxers and Shedding

newsgrl

Hello Ladies. Do you think the brand/strength of relaxer you use contributes to the amount of shedding? I know shedding is natural. But I ask because I noticed , after recently using Mizani Sensitive relaxer, my hair has been shedding a lot more than normal. Now,when I used Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp for the previous touchup, it didn't shed nearly as much in the weeks following that touchup. So do you think the relaxer can contribute to how much hair you shed? Just wondering...

(And for the record, I believe the Mizani Sensitive Scalp formula has changed because it doesn't perform like it used to on my hair, and it hasn't for the last few touchups. It seems "stronger" than it used to be. But as I'm typing this, I'm wondering if maybe it isn't the relaxer, but my hair and scalp....mmmm...)

I do. Some relaxers are harsher than others. If your scalp is not healthy, you may shed more hair. How you apply the relaxer can also attribute to the shedding.

How often do you relax your new growth? There are some members who experience more shedding when they stretch their relaxer touch ups.

I usually wait at least 8-9 weeks to relax. I have gone 12 weeks (but never again because it started to break). I usually wash and style my own hair in between touch ups. When I did it over the weekend, I noticed more shedding than usual, but it could be because I didn't really comb through it all week. (I'm trying to leave it alone as much as possible. I don't use any direct heat at all...just throwing that in.) Either way, I think the Mizani Sensitive Scalp is a bit stronger than it used to be and is contributing to some of the shedding. So I will be switching back to Design Essentials for the next time.

newsgrl said:
I usually wait at least 8-9 weeks to relax. I have gone 12 weeks (but never again because it started to break). I usually wash and style my own hair in between touch ups. When I did it over the weekend, I noticed more shedding than usual, but it could be because I didn't really comb through it all week. (I'm trying to leave it alone as much as possible. I don't use any direct heat at all...just throwing that in.) Either way, I think the Mizani Sensitive Scalp is a bit stronger than it used to be and is contributing to some of the shedding. So I will be switching back to Design Essentials for the next time.
I had lots of shedding a few days ago like my hair was breaking out I could pull lots of it out at a time. But, I hadn't relaxed in months (since April) Yesterday I used Silk Elements and really the breakage/shedding is like almost completely gone. I was trying to transition to natural and I don't know what was wrong with my hair. I probably wasn't taken proper care of it. I had massive newgrowth Ill have to post pictures or something I cut off a few inches in some month that I can't remember right now..lol. But, it really seemed like the relaxer fixed my problem with breakage/shedding.

I think sometimes the relaxer can contribute to shedding. I used Phyto a couple of weeks ago and noticed more shedding than I'm accustomed to. I shampooed my hair with a neutralizer and the shedding stopped.

Back