Shed A Tear For My Favorite Serum...

Melody.Monroe

:nono: So yeah...I am trying to create HEALTHY hair...that's one of the points in this board right?! Well I am thanking God for LHCF because it is making me do some immense research on hair care products and chemicals...which will be helpful once I start my Blog...

So I wanted to make my own recipes for a heat protection serum for when I do flat iron my hair and it made me take a look at my FAVORITE serum...John Frieda Thermal Protection Hair Serum...lo and behold...it had MINERAL OIL and SILICONE!!

So needless to say...I won't be using it anymore. I am going to make my own...however I haven't found a recipe formulation that will keep it clear without chemicals...natural emulsifiers (mix oils and waters so they won't separate) make the concoction TRANSLUCENT not TRANSPARENT and I wanted it clear...but as long as my hair is protected I guess I could care less...

Another product going in the trash (after I finish this last bottle of course...don't wanna waste my $8 :lachen:)!!

Why throw it away?! If it works use it. I think mineral oil and silicone are fine in small doses. If its not damaging or drying your hair out AND its giving you the results you desire, keep it! I think all commercial heat protectants have silicon in them which is what makes them "Heat Protectant" because of silicone (if i'm wrong ladies please correct me). I have never heard of a natural/organic heat protectant.

Why throw it away?! If it works use it. I think mineral oil and silicone are fine in small doses. If its not damaging or drying your hair out AND its giving you the results you desire, keep it! I think all commercial heat protectants have silicon in them which is what makes them "Heat Protectant" because of silicone (if i'm wrong ladies please correct me). I have never heard of a natural/organic heat protectant.

I agree!! That's why I want to make my own concoction...I heard that the silk proteins is what protected your hair from damage when applying heat...I want to be corrected if I am wrong also. All the research that I have done on cones basically say that it is liquid glass and PREVENTS moisture from getting into hair and blah blah blah which is why it helps to eliminate the frizz...I was going to make some kind of formulation with aloe vera juice, silk proteins, small amount of jojoba oil, and vitamins A, B, and C...don't know the dosages yet...and I may add some other oils too...not yet sure...still researching...

^^^^ ITA, The silicone is what makes it a heat protectant. I don't mind silicones. I try to stay away from Mineral Oil for the most part, but I still use Aphogee 2 min reconstuctor which has it and Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1 as a leave in and it has mineral oil.

Maybe you can use a tiny bit of coconut oil before flat ironing but not too much or it may fry your hair.

Yup. Silicone is a GREAT heat protectant...I don't use cones much though, only when I plan to use heat and my hair does well with mineral oil. It's in my lekair cholesterol and silk elements mega cholesterol. If it works for you, then I dont see why you need to stop using it.

I love cones... Never had an issue with them in my life. As for mineral oil? If it works well then sometimes ya just gotta let it slide. It's not the most beneficial oil, sure, but it makes for a decent carrier oil if the rest of the ingredients are atleast good. :yep:

I agree!! That's why I want to make my own concoction...I heard that the silk proteins is what protected your hair from damage when applying heat...I want to be corrected if I am wrong also. All the research that I have done on cones basically say that it is liquid glass and PREVENTS moisture from getting into hair and blah blah blah which is why it helps to eliminate the frizz...I was going to make some kind of formulation with aloe vera juice, silk proteins, small amount of jojoba oil, and vitamins A, B, and C...don't know the dosages yet...and I may add some other oils too...not yet sure...still researching...

Well if or when you make it let us know how it works! Don't be stingy please post and share your concoction. lol :grin:

Cones are the truth when it comes to straightening. I like to buy the serum with the most cones I can find when I straighten my natural hair. Before that I tried things without cones and came out with heat damage.

I totally agree.. almost everything I use has one or the other. It just depends on your hair.

I love cones... Never had an issue with them in my life. As for mineral oil? If it works well then sometimes ya just gotta let it slide. It's not the most beneficial oil, sure, but it makes for a decent carrier oil if the rest of the ingredients are atleast good. :yep:

I use John Frieda Thermal Protection Hair Serum as well and it works good for me. I've tried others and John Freida works the best for me and it's inexpensive...win, win.

I'm a John Frieda fan and I have never been bothered by mineral oil or silicones. Cones seal and protect my presses beautifully and if I didn't baggy, I would use nothing but cones as my hair "leave-in" so that they could seal in the moisture from washing. But when I baggy, products get on my scalp and make me itch which is the only reason I don't use cones except when I press my hair which also when I don't baggy.

As for mineral oil, never did me wrong so no reason to be falling out with a friend just coz of what people say. Heck, I use Vaseline on my face around my eyes! And it's the moisturizer I use on my hands all through the day.

So believe it or not, I actually thought "po' thang" when I read the OP coz it was almost like you were saying "OMG, I'm a girl! So from now on I will not play soccer coz I discovered I'm a girl. I'm going to find more girly things to do." :lol: OK, I didn't say I was good at analogies but just as those lines would trigger the question. "Really? What's the problem?" the OP did that for me.

How about trying Red Turkey castor oil as your natural emulsifier. It helps water and oil to mix without separation. I use it in the bath when I want to mix in some oil or in a spray bottle when I'm making my own leave-in. I ordered it online from Saratoga Scents, a great place to order supplies. In my spray bottle, when I mix the oils with water, depending on the oils, my solution turns milky white. But there is no separation.

:nono: So yeah...I am trying to create HEALTHY hair...that's one of the points in this board right?! Well I am thanking God for LHCF because it is making me do some immense research on hair care products and chemicals...which will be helpful once I start my Blog...

So I wanted to make my own recipes for a heat protection serum for when I do flat iron my hair and it made me take a look at my FAVORITE serum...John Frieda Thermal Protection Hair Serum...lo and behold...it had MINERAL OIL and SILICONE!!

So needless to say...I won't be using it anymore. I am going to make my own...however I haven't found a recipe formulation that will keep it clear without chemicals...natural emulsifiers (mix oils and waters so they won't separate) make the concoction TRANSLUCENT not TRANSPARENT and I wanted it clear...but as long as my hair is protected I guess I could care less...

Another product going in the trash (after I finish this last bottle of course...don't wanna waste my $8 :lachen:)!!

I don't know about the mineral oil...

But since it is a heat protectant, most folks say that silicones are good in a heat protectant if you use a flat iron to straighten your hair.

Grapeseed oil is an excellent heat protectant! It can withstand heat up to 450 degrees before it starts to burn. Just my 2 cents...hope that helps.

I don't see why the cones and mineral oil are a problem, as long as you use it AFTER your moisturizing products are applied. I think all my favorite serums have cones in them.

I love my CHI Silk Infusion, it detangles my hair like none other. OP don't discard a good product cos someone says the ingredients are bad for you. If they work for you that's all that matters.

Grapeseed oil is an excellent heat protectant! It can withstand heat up to 450 degrees before it starts to burn. Just my 2 cents...hope that helps.

I've never heard that before but after reading your post I did a search and I see that being echoed...but I don't understand why grapeseed oil would be singled out when it isn't the only oil with a smoke point in the 400's. In fact, avocado oil burns at 520 degrees F. Here's a chart.

Also I wonder, does withstanding high temperatures necessarily mean that a product blocks heat from getting to hair? I mean, if it isn't coating hair as thoroughly as a serum does (which is why a good shampoo is usually needed to take it off), or if its thermal conductivity is high so that it's passing on the heat to the hair instead of insulating it somehow, I wonder how good a protectant it is. Just thinking aloud. Not really claiming to have the answers.

Last edited:
Thats a good question Nonie! Maybe if I actually decide to go to class on Monday, I can ask my biochem professor. But for some reason, I am anticipating the news won't be good news to some. I used to run to my orgo prof about everything I learned on hairlista and she definitely debunked alot of the "science" myths that floated around there.

Back