Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters
I am not a mixtress either but I found a great Black-owned Etsy Shop that allows you to purchase whipped shea butter made with coconut oil, olive, OR sweet almond oil. I need something more noncomedogenic that coconut oil and I picked the sweet almond blend. You’re also allowed to add an essential oil and fragrance. It was the first time I’ve found whipped shea without coconut oil so I was quite excited. The product is buttery, light, and melts in your hands. Very pleased. I am not affiliated with this store in any way but I hope it might help others. Shipping was super quick as well.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmeerahsNaturals

So, the whipped blend you have is shea butter and almond oil. Or, is your blend shea butter, almond oil and olive oil? Or is your blend shea butter and olive oil? Thank you @Virtuosa !

@Chicoro
I felt it helped me whip it more into a whipped consistency and adds additional hydration and moisture retention.

Hmmmm.... interesting. This is good to know. I am trying to keep my mixes as simple as possible with a minimum amount of ingredients. But I will tuck this tidbit of information away in the back of my head for future reference. Glycerin can be far more plentiful and easy to get in some places. Okay! Thank you for the information.

Hi
I added about 100 g of shea butter, then 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil, one tablespoon of vitamin E oil, and a few drops of a vanilla essence. I whipped with an electrical whisk.

You may want to add some more oil. I just made some shea butter tonight using my Senegalese shea butter. I whipped it. It came out super grainy and gritty -as usual!

So, I took the bowl and put it over a pot of hot, boiling water and steamed it until it melted into a liquid. Then, I stuck it in the fridge for 50 minutes so that it would solidify again. THEN, I whipped it again and it JUST.LIKE.BUTTER!!!

Add some oil to your shea butter and whip it again. If it is still heavy and gummy, you may need to do the steam/solidy/whip process.

@Chicoro
I felt it helped me whip it more into a whipped consistency and adds additional hydration and moisture retention.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I am currently quite interested in glycerin due to the video below by a doctor/trichologist. I'm also interested in handling my hair less on wash day. Maybe I can add glycerin to my shea butter mix--whichever I end up using.

I have Shea and sweet almond oil. I chose cucumber melon fragrance. I am planning to get their shea with olive oil next.

This is GREAT to hear and to learn! So, you can get whipped shea butter to whip with just the addition of almond oil. Coconut oil is not necessary.

I just made my standard batch of shea butter for the month, consisting of shea butter, coconut oil and olive oil. Next go round, I will make the batch just using olive oil or just using almond oil. That would make my recipe even simpler: a two ingredient whipped shea mix!

One recipe I love for hands, feet, nails and cuticles:
25% lanolin 75% shea butter.
It is greasy so I use it every night before bed. It leaves my hands and feet extremely soft, my nails are stronger and whiter after using this.
If you are allergic, stay away from lanolin.

One recipe I love for hands, feet, nails and cuticles:
25% lanolin 75% shea butter.
It is greasy so I use it every night before bed. It leaves my hands and feet extremely soft, my nails are stronger and whiter after using this.
If you are allergic, stay away from lanolin.

From where does one buy lanolin? Where did you get your lanolin @lalla ?

I want in. I’m relaxed, but found an old thread where people talked about using it on their ends.

I wear buns for the most part and have started using Shea butter after my creams.

I’m using the same whipped Shea butter that I make and use on my body. My mix is Shea butter, coconut oil, mango butter (sometimes) and olive oil. Simple.

I’ve been lurking in this thread since it started and love reading the comments! I started using Shea Butter 3 weeks ago with Chicoro’s help and guidance. Let’s just say i didn’t know what I was missing! I bought some yellow Shea Butter from my local bss. I made my whipped Shea Butter mix with coconut oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil and grape seed oil. My hair has completely transformed. It was chronically dry and now it’s moisturized all of the time. No tangles either. I do the LOC method every night and seal with my SB mix. For my next batch I need to get some fragrance oils to make it smell yummy. I can’t smell the sweet almond oil I added to my current mix. Maybe it’s because it was mixed with other things and not pure (it was pretty cheap). Maybe it’s because I added it too early during the whipping process. I don’t know. Oh well. I’ll stick with essential oils for scents.

I’ve been lurking in this thread since it started and love reading the comments! I started using Shea Butter 3 weeks ago with Chicoro’s help and guidance. Let’s just say i didn’t know what I was missing! I bought some yellow Shea Butter from my local bss. I made my whipped Shea Butter mix with coconut oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil and grape seed oil. My hair has completely transformed. It was chronically dry and now it’s moisturized all of the time. No tangles either. I do the LOC method every night and seal with my SB mix. For my next batch I need to get some fragrance oils to make it smell yummy. I can’t smell the sweet almond oil I added to my current mix. Maybe it’s because it was mixed with other things and not pure (it was pretty cheap). Maybe it’s because I added it too early during the whipping process. I don’t know. Oh well. I’ll stick with essential oils for scents.

Sweet almond oil doesn't have a scent. It's a carrier oil. That means you put drops of concentrated essential oils in it, to help 'carry' them into the skin and the bloodstream. The health food store should have a great selection of essential oils. They can range from $3.00 dollars a bottle to $16 dollars a bottle. Lavender, citronella, and ylang ylang are some you may want to try how they smell at the store.

Congratulations on getting your hair to a constant moisturized state! That's a wonderful accomplishment.

Last edited:
Just washed my hair and slathered with my fresh batch of shea butter. Shea butter is buttery but it also is gummy, waxy and or like clay. It clumps my hair strands together so that my hair doesn't unravel, tangle or break. I finished washing my hair about 2 hours ago. My hair is coated from root to tip with shea butter and the ends are firm and fortified.

I did an Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment with NO COMB tonight. Shea butter made it possible. After I rinsed the conditioner out of my hair, it only took me a little less than 30 minutes to finger detangle, moisten with Scurl and gel, coat my hair with shea butter and braid up my hair.

Amazing! The shedded hair ball was quite small, too. My ends are smooth, not dotted with little knots that contribute to rough ends. My ends feel just like butter, too!

In the picture below, I was doing the same hair routine, which is NO COMB, except I was not using Shea butter. I learned that my braid would unravel. I had no idea my hair did this. These little unraveled hairs would tangle around the braid. I would lose these hairs AND create tangles on the braids.

BEFORE USING SHEA Butter: Braids unraveled, creating breakage and tangles. See that whole wavy like curl? THAT's the type of whole curls I used to lose due to tangles, prior to using shea butter in my regimen.
Hair Ends2.JPG

AFTER USING SHEA Butter: Braids stay neat and stray hairs stay 'clumped' together.
My braids no longer unravel. All I have to do now is wet my braid to take it loose. No more monster tangles on the ends. No more needless, unnecessary set-back causing breakage!
Hair Ends Oct 2017 2.jpg

Last edited:
Lawd I wish I had all this SB knowledge early in 2017:wallbash:

- I could have possibly saved myself from my 2017 detangling nightmares, the hours of frustration not to mention lost hairs from detangling and wasteful dollars spent on various unncessary and most of the time ineffective detangling products.:perplexed:

Shea Butter has done what none of this 'mess' has been able to do.:nono:

I hope to fully recover from all the knotting, tangling, matting mishaps in 2018.:ohwell:

The shea butter seems to be working well for me. My hair is easy to detangle, the strands just slide past each other, and I'm noticing less single strand knots. I also don't have to apply it everyday. I can skip a day and still have moisturized hair. This is wonderful because my hair tends to dry out in the winter months and I lose a lot of the length I gained in the summer. If I can get through this entire winter with moisturized hair, I'm going to be in very good shape when the weather warms up.

Lawd I wish I had all this SB knowledge early in 2017:wallbash:

- I could have possibly saved myself from my 2017 detangling nightmares, the hours of frustration not to mention lost hairs from detangling and wasteful dollars spent on various unncessary and most of the time ineffective detangling products.:perplexed:

Shea Butter has done what none of this 'mess' has been able to do.:nono:

I hope to fully recover from all the knotting, tangling, matting mishaps in 2018.:ohwell:

Imagine, based upon what you know today, how long and healthy your hair is going to be from now on because you recovered from the knotting, tangling and matting mishaps starting in December 2017! 2018 on forward is just going to be Wow for you and your hair!

"I could have possibly saved myself from my 2017 detangling nightmares..."
But you don't really know. This may be the way you needed to experience so that you COULD learn this information and keep it for a lifetime!!!!! So, don't hit your head against the wall.

I'm in that same boat with you. I JUST learned how my braids unravel. That was 1 braid. Let's do the math:

1 braid x 8(the number of braids) = 8 braids
8 braids x 4 times per month I wash and lose the hair= 32 times

I'm using myself not because I am so important, but because I am referencing that visual I put up in post #234.
The amount of hair I used to [potentially] lose was ALL that hair shown unraveling on that one braid. Multiply that by 8 braids, then multiply that by 4 times I washed per month. Then multiply that by 12 for the year, then multiply that by 10 for the last 10 years.

"I Chicoro, could have been at foot length!" :giggle:

When one knows better, one does better. Period. Once you get knowledge, NO ONE can EVER take it from you. Instead of thinking about this as what you could have done better, look at it as refining your knowledge about your hair on how to gain super long length, EVERY TIME! And this knowledge you will be able to have for a lifetime and can share and give to others indefinitely, without limits! THAT, is power and YOU have it!

The shea butter seems to be working well for me. My hair is easy to detangle, the strands just slide past each other, and I'm noticing less single strand knots. I also don't have to apply it everyday. I can skip a day and still have moisturized hair. This is wonderful because my hair tends to dry out in the winter months and I lose a lot of the length I gained in the summer. If I can get through this entire winter with moisturized hair, I'm going to be in very good shape when the weather warms up.

Congratulations to you!

This is part of the magic of Shea butter. Tangles and dryness are the banes of afro-textured hair, shea butter helps to improve both of these challenges!

Back