She BURNED my hair!!!! Please Read!

OMG! I had a HORRIBLE visit at the hairdresser. Please give me your advice...

So, I went to get my hair blowdried and flat ironed as usual (i'm in the process of transitioning) and my hairdresser wasn't there so I went to the next available hairdresser instead whom i didn't know. She told me that she would blowdry my hair but instead use a curling iron w/the stove b/c it would still make my hair come out straight.

From the time i sat in the chair, I could SMELL the stove, i mean it was HOT! when she took the curling iron out of the stove, the curling iron was literally SMOKING! I asked her if she thought that it might be too hot for my hair and she said "No, child, i've been doing this for years!" She continued to do my hair, but i didn't have a good feeling, and i asked her again "ARe u SURE thats not too hot for my hair?!" and she told me that in beauty school they have a test to tell if an iron will burn the hair. she said they put the curling iron against a towel and if it burns the towel, that means it will burn the hair. Since she said it wasn't burning the towel, i let her finish my hair.

When i got in my car, all i could smell was something that stunk and then i realized it was my hair! then when i got home, the first thing my mom said was that my hair smells like it's burnt! she was all the way across the room and could smell it!

i'm so scared of what will happen and don't know what to do. the hairdresser lied to me even though i kept asking her if the iron was too hot. I even called up another hairdresser and asked about the whole "Towel" explanation and the hairdresser said that they do NOT teach you that in beauty school. she said, "how can you use a thick cotten towel to tell if an iron is too hot for hair when hair is so fragile?"

what should i do?? PLease help me! I'm DEF gonna get my money back but what about the long term damage? Will my hair start falling out now??

Hey hun, I don't have the answers but I just wanted to give you a hug and initiate some positive thinking. I don't think your hair will all fall out. The ends may break off if they've been scorched since that's the oldest hair and the one that has endured the most tear and wear and so is most vulnerable. If your hair is natural and the hair was really burned, then you may find your hair never returns fully to its curly state. But you can still pamper it with protein treatments, moisture treatments and a lot of TLC so that this experience becomes a forgotten thing. I believe there are pple whose hair has been fried over a period of time and they still have long hair that looks OK. I know a lady who pressed her hair all the time such that her hair now looks permed. Even though I know heat causes damage, it's hard to see the damage in her hair, which by the way never really reverts to its curly state even when washed. And I think if we look at pictures of old family members who pressed their hair regularly without the concerns LHCF sisters have, we will find pictures of long, "healthy-looking" hair that one would never think to call damaged.

I also think that if someone uses a pressing comb that isn't clean but that has previously pressed hair, it will smell like burnt hair because the hair caught between the teeth will be getting cooked over and over every time the comb hits the stove. So that comb can pass the burnt smell over to your hair...not to mention the burnt cinders from the comb that are rubbing onto your hair for good measure.

So get proactive: Less manipulation, more protective styling, lots of moisture...and when wash day comes along, a protein treatment or reconstructor one followed by a good moisture treatment. Then back to less manipulation, etc. I truly think you'll be OK.
smile.gif

I'm sorry to hear that you went through that. Nonie gave you some good advice, so I think your hair will be okay if you give it extra tlc.

I hope you don't experience any problems from this.
But even if you do, remember it WILL grow back.

Thanx so much for the responses ladies, i was desperate for answers! i'm going to do what you said and give myself a protein and deep conditioning treatment next time i wash. If my hair were to fall out, it would have fallen out when she was doing my hair right?

If your hair is truly burnt, it will come right out (not to scare you, but I've been through this). Is it coming out? I don't mean breaking--I mean coming out as if it's not even a part of your head or other strands of hair anymore.

yeah what supergirl said.......if it is really burnt it will just be coming out of your head, it will be noticeable.....you probably are fine, but like nonie said, be proactive, treat your hair very nicely and it will be fine

She used a lot of heat, and since she's putting something hot in your hair, and if she just used a sheen and no other products, then you are smelling your hair burn.

If your hair is natural and is tough to straighten, it will require more heat, hence the burning of hair you smell. If she really burned your hair it would literally stick onto the heat tool she used to straighten your hair.

I used a too hot curling iron on my hair 2 years ago when I was natural and burnt 1/4 of my hair off. It was stuck in the curling iron.

That's when your hair has been burnt.

So yes you are smelling cooked hair, but if you still have it, she just did an extremely hard press on your hair.

I'm sorry that happened to you..that's awful..hopefully everything stays fine with your hair!! But, I have a question..what the heck is a stove? I'm thinking of like a real stove..lol but there is no way someone could have a real stove in a salon.. right?
confused.gif

okay, now i can sleep a lil better at night now,
smile.gif
at least i know now that my hair isn't burnt. i combed it and i didn't see any hair come out. i'm still upset about what happened though b/c there is not doubt about it she still DID SOME damage to my hair.

Supergirl- how much of your hair ended up falling out? how long did it take your hair to get healthy again?

Hey RushGirl! the stove she used is a plug in stove that is small and metel. they look nothing like a real stove u have at home. lol. there pretty common, you've prolly seen one b4 and just didn't know what it was. hope that clairifies it for u.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
If your hair is truly burnt, it will come right out (not to scare you, but I've been through this). Is it coming out? I don't mean breaking--I mean coming out as if it's not even a part of your head or other strands of hair anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there too. The amount of hair coming out depends on how much hair you have to begin with, as well as the amount of damage. For me, I ended up waiting about 4 months and then cutting it into a bob. I waited another 4 months and just cut it all off into a pixie. I wanted as much new, healthy hair that I could get.

Now, it's a 1.5 years later and I've got a nice, even bob again...I think that it's just below my chin.

<font color="purple">Just remember, too much heat is not good for the hair. I don't think your hairdresser has a chance to examine your hair's texture before she put the hot iron on your hair. Take my advice, and not go back to that stylist. She has no clue what she's doing, and could make other people's hair go to the worst scenerio as you've been through. Remember the old rule of thumb: More dense hair, more heat. Less dense hair, less heat. Take care of your hair, and it'll be all right, sweetheart.
kiss.gif
Toodles. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
If your hair is natural and is tough to straighten, it will require more heat, hence the burning of hair you smell. If she really burned your hair it would literally stick onto the heat tool she used to straighten your hair.

I used a too hot curling iron on my hair 2 years ago when I was natural and burnt 1/4 of my hair off. It was stuck in the curling iron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that to a section of my hair when I was 15.
shocked.gif
--I was so glad that it wasn't a big section.

[ QUOTE ]
2793154 said:
Hey RushGirl! the stove she used is a plug in stove that is small and metel. they look nothing like a real stove u have at home. lol. there pretty common, you've prolly seen one b4 and just didn't know what it was. hope that clairifies it for u.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation.. I've never heard of anything like that before.. but, I know for sure I've never seen something anything like.. that's interesting.. that must get really hot.. I don't blame you for being so worried!
smile.gif

Thanks again!

Please take into account that she probably used that curling iron on serveral people's heads before you. Sometimes whatever styling products can make loose hairs stick the iron. When it's placed into to stove the hair burns. Then the scent may show up in your hair also. This is just my theory.
look.gif
I've had stinky hair after leaving the shop but my hair wasn't burned.

Nevertheless, your hair will be fine with some extra TLC.
smile.gif

Yea, your right ChocoKitty. I went to get my money back yesterday from the salon but they said they wanted to examine my hair first. They said that my hair was never burned. According to them, if my hair were burned it would have turned another color and would have hardened. They said that I have the burnt smell in my hair because of the stove. They said that there was prolly hair stuck to the iron that burnt. I still don't see the point of getting my hair washed clean to leave the salon with stinky hair. There is no way i could have gone anywhere that night after leaving the salon, the scent was so strong, it would have been embarrasing! anyways, i never got my money back but ones thing is for sure, i'll NEVER go back to that hairdresser again! Thanx again everyone's advice!

This happend to me via a sister-in-law who "was" a hairdresser. She didn't like being one. Thankfully, she no longer does hair. My hair was never actually burnt, but the irons that she used were dirty and my hair "STUNK" to high heaven when I left. You are right it is embarrassing to go around folks with your hair smelling like that. Unfortunately for me I had to go the to hospital that night as my mother-in-law was ill. This is what I did. I sprayed my hair with Lysol, it wasn't damp or wet. I held the can high above my head and sprayed. Desperate measures call for desperate actions. Then I wrapped it and tied it up in a cotton scarf - after a couple of days the smell went away. I wore this to bed and around the house. If your hair was burnt it would have turned another color and gotten hard. Be glad that it didn't.

I'm sorry that this happened to you. Actually in school I did learn to place a marcel iron on a paper towel. If the iron scorched the paper towel, it was too hot. A regular towel is too thick IMO to use it as a guide.

But back to you. Do a deep conditioning reconstructor this weekend and moisturize those ends. Lay off the heat for a while and your hair will bouce back.

Did you call the manager to complain? If not, you should.

[ QUOTE ]
2793154 said:
I still don't see the point of getting my hair washed clean to leave the salon with stinky hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear your hair's fine. I know what you mean. Every once in a while I go to an Egyptian salon. I notice if I get there too late in the day my hair ends up stinkin'. So I try get there early as possible. My theory the earlier your appointment to better your hair smells.
wink.gif

But overall I'm glad to hear your hair's fine.

Back