Shamboosie's Book-LET'S DISCUSS!

MizaniMami

So I just go finished reading Shamboosie's Beautiful Black Hair book.

Maaaan, that man is nuts lol. He did have some good tips but a lot of things was kinda -->:eek: <-- to me.

The whole, "If you stop relaxing you hair will fall out" thingy. What?!

And the whole "Nexxus is the be all end all" thingy, I like Nexxus but talking about a pusha. I wonder how much Nexxus paid him :lol:

But seriously, he said if you do you own relaxers (and a whole other list) that he can tell. What do you ladies think?

PS: That Dudley's creme press sound alright (I'm such a sucka lol). Anyone try it?

But I am glad he dispelled a lot of black hair myths such as washing more and breakage.

I wish he would have gave rec's of Lye relaxers since he was pushing everything else.

Yeah he's a Nexxus pusher.

He has some good ideas.

I have used Dudley's creme press when I was natural and texturized and wanted to have my hair straight. I don't use it anymore because it has Petroleum or mineral oil in it and I've stopped using those things. It's kind of greasy too.

shamboosie was the one who got me hooked on nexxus. I really do like their products though....but I was wondering if he got paid also.

I'm kinda glad he dissed the hair boards in his book because thats what got me thinking. I'm like hmmm there are hair boards? and behold I found my new home... LHCF :lol:

I've tried the Dudley's creme press also.....nothing to brag about but it does leave your hair soft and shiny. And I stopped using it because the mineral oil and petroleum content also like Rabia mentioned. I may use it again if I ever blow dry.....haven't done that in ages! :grin:

And I also had to figure out which Lye relaxer to use since he turned me off of the no-lye ones with the "excessive dryness due to no lye relaxer" talk.... I have learned so much more now.... I wont say I agree 100% with everything but for the hair dummies he does have a nice 24 month timetable which I am still somewhat abiding by.

I wont say the book is the hair bible but it did get me on my way and inspired me to continue to research and of course (unintentionally) led me LHCF!! :yay:

I used Dudley Creme Press and I love it. I was using their shampoo but after a few times it started to be drying. I was already using Nexxus, I was geeked at him pushing it in his book and was convinced I was doing it right all this time. :lachen: My beautican uses Dudley exclusively though. I'm talking the whole line. She's the owner of the shop and she has all her stylist using it as well. So I use Nexxus and Dudleys only. Not until I came here did I start using different products but those are still my staples.

The book is OK. It is a good starting point for a person starting to learn about hair care, but you have to take some of his advice with a grain of salt. I actually like A. Dickey's book, Hair Rules!, much better. He even has a section on pj-ism. :lol:

I used Dudley Creme Press when I stopped relaxing for months, and it's pretty good stuff. You really only need a tiny bit and I still use it occasionally as a styling aid.

And, yes, a good stylist CAN tell what you've been going to your hair, :yep: just like a good dentist can tell you what you've eaten that day by looking at your teeth. (It's true! :lol:)T he first time I visited my stylist years ago, she didn't ask, she TOLD me that I wash my hair in the sink. :eek: :lol:

So, if a stylist has to ask you if you are using, say, lye or no lye on your hair.......be very wary!!!!!! :look:

I like Shamboosie! He seems like the type of guy that would have you laughing from the stuff he says. Very down to earth. :lol: He does "dis" the boards and making your own homemade hair recipes, though :ohwell:

Now, there were a few things he said in his book had me doing this: :look:

He seems to have a different concept of pH from the rest of the science world. At one point in his book, he mentioned the hair's normal pH being neutral--7. We all know the hair's normal pH is actually acidic between 4.5 and 6. Then he said the pH of no lye relaxers is 18-- off the charts. :lol: We all know the pH scale is from 0-14. He even says this himself at another point in the book. :look: And then I've read other sources that say no lye relaxers have a slightly lower pH than lye relaxers do--comparing supers to supers-regulars to regulars. Where 18 came from, I don't know. :lol: Scare tactic? More than likely. He made lye relaxers sound like a pre-poo treatment or something, like they are so gentle and nourishing for your hair. Chemicals are chemicals and both are breaking your hair down. Lye relaxers are supposed to be bought and applied by professionals only for a reason. He's a stylist. Relaxing is his money maker--so I can't fault him.

Then the locking theory:

Shamboosie says that in a no-lye relaxer the disulfide bonds can’t be broken down to be straightened any further, for a corrective relaxer. Now, if this is true then he is conceding that there is also no such thing as overlapping with a no lye relaxer because the whole point of overlapping/overprocessing is that the hair weakening from the bonds breaking down further and further. If the bond arrangement is locked indefinitely into a particular arrangement after its neutralized, then at subsequent relaxings continuing to process pre-relaxed hair wouldn’t cause any harm or do anything since according him there is no more bond breakage.

Something about that just isn’t adding up :nono; We all know that if you put relaxer lye or no lye on previously relaxed hair and leave it what the outcome is going to be. Nothing nice. All relaxers destroy bonds. Another relaxer done on top of that will again destroy the remaining bonds. After a certain point the hair becomes overprocessed and dissolves. He can’t tell me bonds can’t be further broken down or (corrected & overprocessed) with a no lye as if no lye relaxed hair is an indestructible force. :lol: I can maybe buy into the “its harder to condition this hair theory” but the part on the bonds just doesn’t sit right with me. But then again, according to him Nexxus Humectress can miraculously correct this conditioning problem. Yeah. Right.

I like the book. It's a good reference for the hard-core hair obsessed to have in their collection. I learned a few new things. I DO indeed like the Dudley Cream Press. If you don't use too much and you're flat ironing/curling, it makes the hair feel gooooood!

Sistaslick said:
I like Shamboosie! He seems like the type of guy that would have you laughing from the stuff he says. Very down to earth. :lol: He does "dis" the boards and making your own homemade hair recipes, though :ohwell:

Now, there were a few things he said in his book had me doing this: :look:

He seems to have a different concept of pH from the rest of the science world. At one point in his book, he mentioned the hair's normal pH being neutral--7. We all know the hair's normal pH is actually acidic between 4.5 and 6. Then he said the pH of no lye relaxers is 18-- off the charts. :lol: We all know the pH scale is from 0-14. He even says this himself at another point in the book. :look: And then I've read other sources that say no lye relaxers have a slightly lower pH than lye relaxers do--comparing supers to supers-regulars to regulars. Where 18 came from, I don't know. :lol: Scare tactic? More than likely. He made lye relaxers sound like a pre-poo treatment or something, like they are so gentle and nourishing for your hair. Chemicals are chemicals and both are breaking your hair down. Lye relaxers are supposed to be bought and applied by professionals only for a reason. He's a stylist. Relaxing is his money maker--so I can't fault him.

Then the locking theory:

Shamboosie says that in a no-lye relaxer the disulfide bonds can’t be broken down to be straightened any further, for a corrective relaxer. Now, if this is true then he is conceding that there is also no such thing as overlapping with a no lye relaxer because the whole point of overlapping/overprocessing is that the hair weakening from the bonds breaking down further and further. If the bond arrangement is locked indefinitely into a particular arrangement after its neutralized, then at subsequent relaxings continuing to process pre-relaxed hair wouldn’t cause any harm or do anything since according him there is no more bond breakage.

Something about that just isn’t adding up :nono; We all know that if you put relaxer lye or no lye on previously relaxed hair and leave it what the outcome is going to be. Nothing nice. All relaxers destroy bonds. Another relaxer done on top of that will again destroy the remaining bonds. After a certain point the hair becomes overprocessed and dissolves. He can’t tell me bonds can’t be further broken down or (corrected & overprocessed) with a no lye as if no lye relaxed hair is an indestructible force. :lol: I can maybe buy into the “its harder to condition this hair theory” but the part on the bonds just doesn’t sit right with me. But then again, according to him Nexxus Humectress can miraculously correct this conditioning problem. Yeah. Right.[/quote]

I peeped that too :lol: But then again after a while I was just shiming the book. I think my old stylists used to read this book. When I was reading some of the stuff, I would think about her saying it lol.

I am off to read "The Hair Bible" Not the one by Phillip/the man author, but the lady author.

All in All his book is a GREAT starting point. Plus I've met him, and you can't knock that he is a excelent and experienced hair dresser. I think like every book, you have to use bits and pieces to bring together your own hair thinking/regimen.

i read the book and agree with most of the ladies here. You can take what you want from it and go with it. I wont knock him.

The Cream Press...I used it and it was too heavy for me. My aunt (who does hair) swore i went to the salon and all I did was use that stuff. It made my hair very shiny and the color was very deep. But I might have use to much. Just to heavy for my hair.

cutiebe2 said:
All in All his book is a GREAT starting point. Plus I've met him, and you can't knock that he is a excelent and experienced hair dresser. I think like every book, you have to use bits and pieces to bring together your own hair thinking/regimen.

You've met him! What is he like?

My cousin went to Dudley's cosmetology school in NC so when she came home it was ALLLLL about Dudley products.:lol: One of the products she turned us on to was the creme press. It has ugly ingredients, but it does what it is supposed to do-- seal out moisture and make your flatiron or press last until eternity. I like it! I have some on hand for sure.

You guys are right, his book is a good starting point. He goes into a wide variety of good hair topics-- coloring, styling, topics that other books don't even mess with. :lol: I think if you combine things from him, here :grin:, Cathy Howse, Carolyn Gray-- and some of the others you'll be able to put together what works for you.

I just ordered Nicole Smith's Book, Healthy Black hair. It's pretty good. She even shouted out lhcf and bhm specifically.:lol: I think I am going to read A. Dickey's book next.

I like the Dudley's Cream Press also. I use it as a curling wax. It makes my curls pretty and silky. It does have a little smell but it eventually goes away. I am currently using Elasta QP curling wax at the suggestion of my stylist. It is good but I obtained better results with Dudley's.

The other product I like is the Total Control Gloss. It gives the hair a great sheen. It is my second favorite hair polish after the Design Essentials Reflections Liquid Shine.

I am not crazy about Nexxus products so I can't comment on the rest of his book. But, I think the book is an excellent hair care primer for beginners.

His book is ok. I liked Nicole Smith's book more. I still pick it up from time to time. Her advice is similar to whats on LHFC. Low/no heat, protective styling, frequent washing/conditoning. Another good one is a book by Cheryl Talley Moss-very basic and good for beginners.

I dunno, blowdrying and hot curling every four days was what damaged my hair in the first place:perplexed

I read Shamboosie's book as well, and that got me on the track to better hair care as well. But his infatuation on Nexxus was suspect (especially since he was an employee of Dudley's) and I'm not crazy about his advice of washing hair every 4 days.

I did start buying Nexxus b/c of his book, but I found better products. And I prefer washing my hair every 1-2 weeks, depending on the weather and how many products I put in it.

His book is definately a great starting point, but its far from being the bible of black hair care

What did he say about hairboards?

Do professional stylists relax their own hair or do they have someone else do it for them? :confused:

Lovelylocs said:
What did he say about hairboards?

Do professional stylists relax their own hair or do they have someone else do it for them? :confused:

I dont remember exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of people on hair boards are silly and dont know what they are talking about...but I wanted to formulate my own opinion and i found this hair board...well they cant be too silly cuz i'm still here and my hair is growing because of it :grin:

This is so weird- I just ordered his book from Amazon this week! He has ok tips and seems really nice and caring. However, he only had one long-hurded girl on his book cover and he went on and on about color and marcel irons- I think he's nice, but I'd bite the hand of any stylist who tried to put a marcel up in this head!

Back