Shamboosie, Howse, Akbari, Paula B., Who's stance do you take?

MizaniMami

Hey Ladies,

I can't think of everyone that is pretty popular on this board. But I know we all kind of take a stance. For example Akbari 'scalp first' stuff or Cathy and her non-trimming. Who's stance do you take? Or do you just create your own?
Think about questions like:
How do you feel about heat?
How do you feel about protective styling?
How do you feel about oils and moisturizers?

What/Who do you think promotes growth and who accurately educates people on this? You don't have to answer all these questions, but I wanted to get a feel for how you ladies feel?

Me, I am in the Cathy Howse stance BUT with a little bit of my own trial and errors.. I have concluded (in my short hair-knowledge-life, this may be subject to change one day, you never know) I don't believe in protective styling, oiling the scalp, low to no protein, scheduled trims, greases, or everyday moisturizing (for relaxed hair), CO washes, and the list can go on and on.

What's in your head (literally)? What/How do you think?

I'm only familiar with Cathy Howse and Robin (the Crown and Glory Method). I've met Lisa Akbari and a few people that went to her salon in Memphis (does she have one anywhere else?) and I wasn;t particularly impressed. Really, I learned something from both Cathy and Robin and some stuff you have to leave alone. It depends. For some periods of time, it's no heat. No heat at all. Absolutely not. Then other times, it's like I can't stop blow drying and flat ironing. Sometimes, I'm all about protect styles and then I get in one of those moods "why work so hard at and not enjoy it". We say so often on here that everything doesn't work for everybody. I can do the "no trims" thing for a while, and then it seems like someone gets a little scissor happy. I can do the braid thing for a while but, really, 8 weeks is like my limit. Robin had a lot of good things on her site about diet and handling of the hair. Cathy had a lot of good common sense stuff.

Sorry for rambling. It's lonely here in Indy...

I think my hair care philosophy is more in line with Carolyn Gray's. I'm a big proponent of low heat, protective styling, daily moisturizing, frequent washing, regular proteining regimens. Those things have helped me become successful in my own hair growth journey and have really become my foundation. Carolyn's hair is also a testament to this sort of regimen.

I like The Hair Lady's (Robin) hair washing strategy. That has saved me a great number of strands :yep:
I agree with Mrs. Howse on many things as well. She and Carolyn seem pretty close in philosophy. I do not appreciate scraggly ends on me, so I have to drift away from her on the no trimming part. She is very good with hair, but her people skills are kinda rough :ohwell: :lol:

Shamboosie to me is the classic stylist. He says things that a stylist would say. He is also a bald man, so his advice only goes so far with me. :lol: But like everything in this world, different methods work well for different people. :)

For me, Lisa Akbari. Until I read her book I never ever gave much thought to my scalp and it's health. I just assumed shampoo would do the trick. But what suggestion I took to heart the most out of the book was her advice on prerinsing the scalp. My scalp felt so much better after I started doing this. I don't have a problem with dry scalp, itching or nothing.

I've been following a lot of Wanekee techniques, protective styles, and oiling the ends every day. It really helped me see how long my hair can actually grow.

Adrian said:
For me, Lisa Akbari. Until I read her book I never ever gave much thought to my scalp and it's health. I just assumed shampoo would do the trick. But what suggestion I took to heart the most out of the book was her advice on prerinsing the scalp. My scalp felt so much better after I started doing this. I don't have a problem with dry scalp, itching or nothing.
pre-Rinsing the scalp?

Good thread!

When I discovered the hairboards in 2003, I read and studied Cathy Howse's method and Shamboosie's. I created a regimen from both (as well as from the tips from you ladies at LHCF). More recently, I read Barry Fletcher's book which takes another view of hair.

From Cathy I learned :
To wash and condition every 3 days
No trims
Importance of taking iron and zinc for hair growth
Several more of her common sense advice

I disagree with Cathy on:
Using heat from curling irons. I threw mine away and I prefer not to use heat at all.

From Shamboosie I learned:
The wonders of Nexxus products on relaxed hair, especially Humectress to restore the moisture relaxers strip from the hair

I disagree with Shamboosie about:
Only getting relaxers done in salons. I prefer to do my own at home.
Avoiding no-lye relaxers. I have used no-lye forever with no problems.

From Carolyn Gray I learned:
How Caruso steam rollers are a healthy, no-heat option for hair
Pretty hairstyles
I agree with most of what she has written about and I love her hair pics showing her progress.

From Barry Fletcher I learned:
How men really feel about our hair, including long, AA hair
What kind of styles are most flattering on women
Some good haircare tips

ETA:
KrissyPrissy, you reminded me of the Wanakee site at www.hairoil.com
That's where I learned about the importance of keeping the ends moisturized and protected from the little Wanakee booklet. I still use the Constant Care for Ends.

Last edited:
whichever one of those guys who promote using grease on the ends...i go with them!!

Robyn is probabley one of the most down to earth hair peeps aswell as Carolyn Grey. i like their style. Robyns site was the first i ever seen about black hair, and i think she promotes grease or oil on the ends.

Good question! although i can't say i've read everyone's theory, whenever i hear them saying something stupid...it kinda turns me off to reading more about them. I started out by reading Howse and i think she is very accurate in her methodology. I believe in daily moisturizer, no petroleum/min oil, salon quality products, protein treatments, low heat, relaxer stretching, trim stretching, and just using common sense, and i dont do protective styling.... this has helped me beat my shoulder-length rut...now i am finally on my way to bsl.... and by the way... her UBH dew and creme moisturizers are the bomb for daily moisturizing...it leaves my hair extra soft and i don't have to trim as much since i've been using it...

I am so glad you guys answered this! I am really (probably a little too much) enjoying reading what you guys think.

I bought Cathy's book and it is ok, i agree with some things, but I dont like they way her hair looks, therefore I cannot follow her advice...

I think Cathy Howse’s book and “Hair Rules! : The Ultimate Hair-Care Guide for Women with Kinky, Curly, or Wavy Hair” byAnthony Dickey has a lot of good advice.

I think what I learned is trial-and-error is key to finding a hair regimen that works. I’ve read all the other hair books on the market, including text books used at hair schools. I have quite a library actually. I just try different products and routines based on research, stick with it for at least a month, and then decide if I’ve liked what it’s done to my hair or not. After extensive studying and trials, I found a basic regimen that works for me. But, I do change things up as my lifestyle and environment changes, or what chemicals I may have in my hair. I also like to experiment for the sake of experimenting!

KhandiB said:
I bought Cathy's book and it is ok, i agree with some things, but I dont like they way her hair looks, therefore I cannot follow her advice...

LMAO! Haha My aunt goes to Lisa Akbari's treatment center in Memphis and I HATE the wa her hair looks. Greasy, hard, and kinda tangled. I think she go to her every week too. lol I would be asking for my money back. But I noticed the first ingredient in her lines are oils which is a :nono: for me.

I read Cathy Howse's book and didn't like her peoplel skills nor her scraggly hair.
I saw Robyns info and I agree with washing in sections, but the braid thing couldnt fly with me since I have a scalp problem and I also am afraid of my hair being dried out again.
Shamboosie was trying to bamboozle people. All I saw it as was his being a pusher for salons.
Lisa Akbaris book was ok. I agree with the scalp thing I just cant get into her methods.
I havent read Fletcher or Grays books. though.
Im just trying to take the best from all of them until I find something that works.

Lovelylocs said:
pre-Rinsing the scalp?

Yeah. First she always suggest if possible washing your hair in the shower to keep it back and keep it from tangling. But you know how alot of us just wet our hair and add shampoo, well she suggest that first you part your hair into sections and allow warm water to run on your scalp. Do this from 1 to up to 5 minutes depending on how damaged your scalp is. And after doing this then shampoo. By prerinsing your remove alot of dirt and debris and you use less shampoo that may potentially be drying. Hope I explained it right. I've never used her products and don't think I ever will because I hate it when people who publish books try to push their products too.

Adrian said:
Yeah. First she always suggest if possible washing your hair in the shower to keep it back and keep it from tangling. But you know how alot of us just wet our hair and add shampoo, well she suggest that first you part your hair into sections and allow warm water to run on your scalp. Do this from 1 to up to 5 minutes depending on how damaged your scalp is. And after doing this then shampoo. By prerinsing your remove alot of dirt and debris and you use less shampoo that may potentially be drying. Hope I explained it right. I've never used her products and don't think I ever will because I hate it when people who publish books try to push their products too.
I can testify that this works! :yep: I posted my hair washing regimen on a thread a week or two ago and this is my first step, to wash my scalp with water for a few minutes, before shampooing. I've been doing it because it feels so good and I can kind of massage it at the same time. I didn't know it was written about. Thanks for sharing this Adrian. :)

The only hair book I read is the one by Cathy Howse. I liked it because it spoke a lot about things that were plain common sense. I do a lot of the things she suggests like washing every 3 days, moisturizing frequently, stretching relaxers, deep conditioning, the need for protein.

I have never been into heat styling so I still rarely use it.....probably 3 times a year.

I create my own. I'm not very familiar with any of these people. I use things from various different hair boards, find what works best for me and incorporate it into my own regimin.

I follow a modified version of Cathy Howse's Dry Hair Care Program. I rarely trim {maybe a slight dusting if that} and I incorporate the minerals she suggests in my diet. Also the important parts of the routine include daily moisturizing, airdrying, and washing/deep conditioning the hair bi-weekly or weekly.

I was impressed with Carolyn Gray's book and website. I can say my hair definitely saw improvement when I used her regimen. I just couldn't get with all the products she suggests to use. I'd rather just stick to one or two product lines (as soon as I figure out what those are :o) .

I also like that she documents issues with her own hair on her website. The fact that she tries to post pictures of her hair to document her progress is nice too.

Back