.::Sew-In/Weave-Queens Come on In!!::.

D.Lisha

Hi All!

I plan on getting a sew-in within the next two weeks to help with retaining length. This isn't my first sew in, but it is my first time doing it since I've been on my hair journey. With that being said, I want to ensure that I do it R I G H T. There are a few things I'd like to know:
  • What products do you use to wash/condition your weave/real hair?
  • What products should I avoid?
  • What's your method of moistruzing and sealing your real hair underneath the weave?
  • Is it ok if I apply a sulfur growh mix to my scalp 1-2x's a week?
  • How do I avoid Matting?
  • How often should I wash it?
All input is greatly appreciated :)!!!

buuuuuump. I'm with you girl. Sunday I got my first install in over a year ( I BCd/ started my HHJ in March) & would love some tips :)

What products do you use to wash/condition your weave/real hair?
Currently using Tresemme Color Thrive Brunette & Red Shampoo and conditioner

What products should I avoid?
You can use anything you like on your own hair, but I've found it best to avoid getting oil and hairspray on the weave - both lead to tangling for me

What's your method of moistruzing and sealing your real hair underneath the weave?
I spray braid spay, infusium or ic moisturiser on my braided hair.

Is it ok if I apply a sulfur growh mix to my scalp 1-2x's a week?
It depends on how your weave is installed since that might be a bit difficult to wash out -especially if you use a net or have vertical braids.

How do I avoid Matting?
Not sure if you're referring to the weave or your hair. For the weave - Avoid getting oil and hairspray on the weave and ensure that any heat appliances used aren't too hot. For your hair - I've never had an issue with matting since I've never kept an install longer than 6 weeks.

How often should I wash it?
I wash mine weekly - same as when I don't have a weave.

What products do you use to wash/condition your weave/real hair?
I use whatever I would normally use on my leave out. I still do scheduled proetin and moisture tx's as usual. For my weave i dilute my conditioners in a color applicator bottle and thats how I make sure product gets on my braids underneath. on my weave i use conditioners I dont like for my real hair. Its best NOT to use oily products on weave hair, it makes it tangle.

What products should I avoid?
No oil or styling aides (except maybe an oil free serum when styling). Good quality hair will not require anything more than a wash and DC to look great.

What's your method of moistruzing and sealing your real hair underneath the weave?
My hair always feels moist underneath without any additional product.

Is it ok if I apply a sulfur growh mix to my scalp 1-2x's a week?
Yes, apply lightly and schedule your wash days the day after.

How do I avoid Matting?
For your hair, using less water based products in between washes is what works best for me. For the weave, buy good quality hair and make sure you DC it as much as you can.

How often should I wash it?
I wash mine every 10-14 days.

HTH

What products do you use to wash/condition your weave/real hair? I wash my scalp with Medi Dan, its for dandruff, then I use Joico K-Pak to wash my own hair and wash my weave (I use virgin malaysian hair 22, and 24 inches long). After I have washed it I use the K-Pak conditioner on my hair and the weave and put a plastic cap on for 15+, I rinse and put K-Pak Leave In Conditioner for my hair and use Aussie Leave In Conditioner for the weave(I use this one because it is not as heavy as K-Pak).
What products should I avoid? I don't know, because I really don't use any products but what I wash with, and occasional hair spray
What's your method of moistruzing and sealing your real hair underneath the weave? I just wash it, that's it
Is it ok if I apply a sulfur growh mix to my scalp 1-2x's a week? I put no oils on my scalp only because think if you wrap your hair, those oils are going to disperse onto your weave and make it oily faster. Up to you though. I use no extra products and my hair grows thicker and faster.
How do I avoid Matting? GET GOOD QUALITY HAIR. I love the hair I have, for it being super long I have NO matting issues. I brush it in the morning and then when I come in after work or just when I go to bed so I can put it up. I buy my hair at a place called Paulines. THIS HAIR IS GREAT!!!!!
How often should I wash it? The weave I have is so good I can go up to 3wks without washing. However, washing your own hair if you have a partial weave once a week is good. I usually wash weave every 2-3wks and wash my own hair more at times, like once a week

Hey Ladies, thanks for all your input, I'm taking notes as we speak lol.

So far the plan is this:
-Hair Type: I'm going to go for some Remy 18"
-Sew-In Type: Full sew-in as seen here:
2vtwpy8.jpg

-Diluted shampoo conditioner in applicator bottle to reach scalp
**Shampoo of choice: Nioxin Moisture Therappe (Sally's Knock-off)
**Conditioner: Suave (can't remember the entire name of it)

-Shampoo/condition once a week (or as needed...may even try to make it to every two weeks)

-LIGHTLY apply sulfur mix to scalp or WGO at least 1-2 times weekly
-Daily Moisturizer: Still debating on this one....but for right now I'm thinking of sticking with my Cantu Shea butter.

A few More Inquiries:

How would you suggest I wrap my hair at night with this particular style with taking into consideration that I have bangs?

Also, I plan on exercising while in this sew in.......is this a no no? Or is there a feasible method to doing it, without ruining my hairstyle (wrap/tie it up a certain way...etc..)?

All input is GREATLY appreciated ladies :yep:

Back