Severe Shedding

JaszG

Hey everyone!! I went and got a relaxer yesterday for the first time since July 3rd! My stylist said that my hair had shedded, and had thinned. It scared me. I've been thinking about it all day. What can I do to thickin my hair back up??? She said it could have shed because I went so long without a relaxer, but I think it was that plus a combination of stress. I've been stressed way too much latley.

Last edited:
Onion also works well...it has a high content of sulfur, which helps with shedding and has also been shown to stimulate growth. You also might try VITALFAN, hair vitamins from Rene Furterer (I sound like a commercial, I know). I just recently started on it and have already noticed a difference in the strength and condition of my hair.

I second the garlic suggestions. I was having some major shedding about a month ago, and I started taking a one or two garlic capsules each evening and washing occasionally with garlic shampoo. My shedding has dramatically decreased and I'm inclined to believe it is the garlic interally that has helped.

Garlic, Garlic, Garlic!!! I had major shedding and kept reading all these garlic threads thinking that won't help me. I finally broke down and tried garlic after everything else and IT WORKED! I use garlic capsules and an occasional wash with 1 part castor oil, one part olive oil and one part molassas, then I add 4 cubes of Trader Joes frozen garlic cubes (1.98 for a tray). Mix and put on my hair. I bet this would be a great marinade-sans the castor oil. Anyway, it works too.

Garlic, Garlic, Garlic!!! I had major shedding and kept reading all these garlic threads thinking that won't help me. I finally broke down and tried garlic after everything else and IT WORKED! I use garlic capsules and an occasional wash with 1 part castor oil, one part olive oil and one part molassas, then I add 4 cubes of Trader Joes frozen garlic cubes (1.98 for a tray). Mix and put on my hair. I bet this would be a great marinade-sans the castor oil. Anyway, it works too.

Whoa!! I have a similar recipe that I use a prepoo in my fotki. I agree, garlic really does curb shedding and if you are having breakage from stretching your relaxer too long JaszG, then this mixture will work really well because the garlic is for shedding, the molasses is for breakage, the castor oil will aid in thickening your hair back up and olive oil simply adds some moisture back to the hair for suppleness. Don't forget to still use a deep moisturizing conditioner afterwards. Garlic supplements are a plus as well. HTH.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm going to try the garlic thing. Where can I get these shampoos and conditioners? I've never even heard of garlic having anything to do with hair, but I'm willing to try it!

Aggie,
I got the recipe idea from you on the MT/OCT thread. I dont know if I am following it exactly but it works. If it is going to make my hair look anything like yours, I'll follow it to the letter.

Aggie,
I got the recipe idea from you on the MT/OCT thread. I dont know if I am following it exactly but it works. If it is going to make my hair look anything like yours, I'll follow it to the letter.

You are too sweet. Thank you grnidmonster.

Christelyn,

How long have you been taking the Vitalfan? I just ordered me some off of Amazon earlier this week because the lady at work has been using it for about a year. Her hair is probably mid back and it's so healthy. She said it's the only vitamin that stopped her shedding and made her hair grow. I've been using good old Biotin and Hair & Skin vitamins...from Wal Mart.

My hair has shedded so much that it thinned as well :wallbash: :wallbash:
Three weeks ago I did a hard core treatment to strengthen it, slacked up on heat, moisturize daily and wear a bun 98% of the time.

Hey everyone!! I went and got a relaxer yesterday for the first time since July 3rd! My stylist said that my hair had shedded, and had thinned. It scared me. I've been thinking about it all day. What can I do to thickin my hair back up??? She said it could have shed because I went so long without a relaxer, but I think it was that plus a combination of stress. I've been stressed way too much latley.

To me, I can't really tell a difference in the "thickness" I do know that it was coming out alot, which wasn't unusual since I hadn't had a relaxer in a while. I'm not going to stress it anymore. I'm going to start taking vitamins, and going back to the salon every other week. It'll come back.

I'm thinking maybe this is my issue too... Does relaxer stretching really thin your hair? I usually stretch 12 weeks...but this time I'm doing 16 weeks... but 12 weeks is standard...maybe I shouldn't be blaming the shedding on the MT... The garlic supps are helping...but last month... I had the worst WEIRDEST period ever... and I'm thinking that was because of all the garlic tabs... it was gross...seriously. But I plan on getting a relaxer this weekend.. I know..what happened to my transition plans..

I went to the bar and my hair had shrunk 4 inches by the time I left... I need a touch up! LOL!

Back