Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Think I wanna try a set again. I have some purple magnetics with the clamp just chillin unopened in the plastic bags. :look:

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna roller set. I wanna use it to stretch my hair, so I can do an actual style instead of these two big braids. I am style inept. :nono:

Last weeks set. I have not worn my hair out since taking the rollers out, therefore I will not be washing this week coming up. Makes no sense. My hair didn't even have a life.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-363596588.jpg
    image-363596588.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 71
You ladies got me serious about setting and perfecting my skills. I plan to pick up some its a 10 products tomorrow. Is it the leave in I need to look for or something else extra special I can't live without.

Also you ladies being so active with your pictures and your advice inspired me to look my own setting methods and not be down about myself for not getting it perfect, but think about how I've gotten better and how happy my hair is that I never quit. I reflect about it in my most recent blog post
http://herampersandhim.com/2014/02/07/natural-hair-rollersetting-from-failure-to-success/

Thanks for keeping the good times rolling. hehehe

I really wish someone would have told me that roller setting was possible at shorter lengths, so this post is for the Ladies that are lurking that are thinking they can't roller set because of their length. This is my daughter's hair and it is fairly short...around chin length on the sides and shoulder length in the back. She is transitioning and I'm not quite sure when her last relaxer was...but I know it's been well over a year.

1st picture- I left one roller out to show her hair qualities. Her hair shrinks up like nobody's business and she has maybe 3-4 inches of relaxed hair. Some areas are 100% natural...mostly around her nape area.

2nd/3rd picture shows her roller pattern.

4th picture was taken this past December, but this is how most of her sets turn out.

When I first started roller setting her hair, I used to get so frustrated because I was not used to rolling hair so short but like I stress...practice makes perfect. Finally after 4 months, I have her roller pattern down and finally nailed a technique to get the results she likes.

Products/Regimen are somewhat different from mine for a number of reasons.
1) For the life of me, I can't get her to moisturize on a regular basis nor sleep with her bonnet. She says the moisturizer makes her hair "flat" and the bonnet is itchy. So I use heavier products on wash day that can keep her hair moisturized for a whole week and she sleeps on a satin pillowcase
2) Her texture is very curly and kinky...especially in the crown so I have to add more products in those areas and it has to be soaking wet before I roll it.

Before washing:
Deep condition on dry hair with Hairveda Sitrinillah deep conditioner for a few hours and then steam for 20 minutes. This is important because I think this is where most of her moisture comes from.

She washes and conditions in the shower with Elucence moisture benefits shampoo and conditioner. I tried to teach her how to co-wash but she's not down with that. It doesn't make sense to her yet, but I'm working on it.

Use Paul Mitchell the conditioner as a leave in. I tried my beloved it's a 10 and it did give great detangling properties but because she does not moisturize on a regular basis, I needed something heavier.

After removing her rollers, I moisturize it with Carol's Daughter Healthy hair butter, use Kinky Curly Custard for hold and do 4 Bantu knots to stretch the roots out overnight. She can get 3-4 days out of this style and then before you know it, she's in my room searching for one of my beanies.

She's an un-official member of this challenge so I will update her progress at the end of the year. Hope this post helps someone!!!

Last edited:
lulu97

Great job mom! Her hair has serious bling and your roller patter is on point. By the end of the year she is going to he setting on bigger rollers just like you

lulu97 What size rollers does she use? Her hair is so pretty and shiny!

Is there a rule as to what size rollers are "right" for your length? I know people say smaller rollers for curlier styles and larger rollers for straight styles, but is there a standard way to figure out what size you should be using?

Also, has anyone seen GettingKinky??

Blairx0 I like all the It's a 10 products I've tried, but if you already have a staple DC/ conditioner I would just pick up the leave-in.

lulu97 What is your technique for Bantu knots ? Do they really stretch the roots? Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
lulu97 What size rollers does she use? Her hair is so pretty and shiny! Is there a rule as to what size rollers are "right" for your length? I know people say smaller rollers for curlier styles and larger rollers for straight styles, but is there a standard way to figure out what size you should be using? Also, has anyone seen GettingKinky??

toaster Thanks Lady! I use the Diane 1 1/2 inch on her. I have to admit that I wish I had a smaller roller because I'm not able to wrap her hair around as many times as I'd like. And yes, the general rule is the larger the roller the straighter the hair will turn out so that's why I'm going to stick with that size for a while on her hair.

So I'm finding I only get breakage when I rollerset straight... so so sad.

So i have to flat iron if i want straight hair. I rollerset curly today and all was well.

I lost so much hair. I will revisit maybe next year.

lulu97 What is your technique for Bantu knots ? Do they really stretch the roots? Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sharifeh This is the technique I use:

http://youtu.be/AURbiW5qBsk

Fast forward to the 5 minute mark.

A few pointers to assist the bantu knots in stretching the roots:
1) After the rollers are completely dry, wait about 10 minutes before removing them so they can cool.
2) After take down, put a small amount of moisturizer or oil in your hands and focus it in the roots area and ends.
3) I finger comb out the curls from the actual roller set and then make 1 to 3 bantu knots. It really just depends on how good of a job I did with getting my roots straight before hand.
4) Secure them with scrunchies. They are easier to sleep in, more secure and are able to provide more tension at the scalp. They are also soft so they wont cause damage.

I've been watching roller set videos on YouTube and I think the rollers I'm using are too small for my length. I've been loving my results so I won't go up until the larger hourglass mesh rollers are in stock.

I'm BSL and using 1 1/8 inch rollers. I do roll a lot of times to get to my scalp, but they dry in 90 minutes. Perhaps by June/July I'll move up to 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 and stay there for a long while.

So I'm finding I only get breakage when I rollerset straight... so so sad. So i have to flat iron if i want straight hair. I rollerset curly today and all was well. I lost so much hair. I will revisit maybe next year.

brownb83 So sorry about the breakage!!!! I hate to see you go but you know what's best for your hair. Make sure you drop in and chat with us from time to time. *tear*

I've been watching roller set videos on YouTube and I think the rollers I'm using are too small for my length. I've been loving my results so I won't go up until the larger hourglass mesh rollers are in stock. I'm BSL and using 1 1/8 inch rollers. I do roll a lot of times to get to my scalp, but they dry in 90 minutes. Perhaps by June/July I'll move up to 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 and stay there for a long while.

toaster I was using 1 3/4 at BSL. Give it a try and see how you like it. I'm going to stay at that size until I reach waist them move up to the grey 2 inch. Yay for reaching milestones!!!

So I'm finding I only get breakage when I rollerset straight... so so sad. So i have to flat iron if i want straight hair. I rollerset curly today and all was well. I lost so much hair. I will revisit maybe next year.

What kind of heat protectant are you using? When I don't use a cone based serum, I get a lot if breakage, but when I do, I get very little. Also, I make sure I keep a spray bottle around to ensure my hair stays wet enough to comb as once it even attempts to dry, it becomes a challenge.

lulu97 What size rollers does she use? Her hair is so pretty and shiny! Is there a rule as to what size rollers are "right" for your length? I know people say smaller rollers for curlier styles and larger rollers for straight styles, but is there a standard way to figure out what size you should be using? Also, has anyone seen GettingKinky??

Small rollers for curl and volume and long roller for straighter results, but I use bigger rollers because it reduces drying time for me now. There is no rule, but digging in grey matter, I remember hearing once you should have enough hair to roll on the roller at least 3 times up. I could be wrong with that because I've seen people use bigger with less, but once again, bigger rollers achieve straighter hair.

I really wish someone would have told me that roller setting was possible at shorter lengths, so this post is for the Ladies that are lurking that are thinking they can't roller set because of their length. This is my daughter's hair and it is fairly short...around chin length on the sides and shoulder length in the back. She is transitioning and I'm not quite sure when her last relaxer was...but I know it's been well over a year. 1st picture- I left one roller out to show her hair qualities. Her hair shrinks up like nobody's business and she has maybe 3-4 inches of relaxed hair. Some areas are 100% natural...mostly around her nape area. 2nd/3rd picture shows her roller pattern. 4th picture was taken this past December, but this is how most of her sets turn out. When I first started roller setting her hair, I used to get so frustrated because I was not used to rolling hair so short but like I stress...practice makes perfect. Finally after 4 months, I have her roller pattern down and finally nailed a technique to get the results she likes. Products/Regimen are somewhat different from mine for a number of reasons. 1) For the life of me, I can't get her to moisturize on a regular basis nor sleep with her bonnet. She says the moisturizer makes her hair "flat" and the bonnet is itchy. So I use heavier products on wash day that can keep her hair moisturized for a whole week and she sleeps on a satin pillowcase 2) Her texture is very curly and kinky...especially in the crown so I have to add more products in those areas and it has to be soaking wet before I roll it. Before washing: Deep condition on dry hair with Hairveda Sitrinillah deep conditioner for a few hours and then steam for 20 minutes. This is important because I think this is where most of her moisture comes from. She washes and conditions in the shower with Elucence moisture benefits shampoo and conditioner. I tried to teach her how to co-wash but she's not down with that. It doesn't make sense to her yet, but I'm working on it. Use Paul Mitchell the conditioner as a leave in. I tried my beloved it's a 10 and it did give great detangling properties but because she does not moisturize on a regular basis, I needed something heavier. After removing her rollers, I moisturize it with Carol's Daughter Healthy hair butter, use Kinky Curly Custard for hold and do 4 Bantu knots to stretch the roots out overnight. She can get 3-4 days out of this style and then before you know it, she's in my room searching for one of my beanies. She's an un-official member of this challenge so I will update her progress at the end of the year. Hope this post helps someone!!!

lulu97...It sounds like your daughter and my daughter have the same hair practices....like I said my daughter would have dreds by the time the week was out if I didn't rollerset it, she hates to sleep in a bonnet and I have to moisturize for her or it's not happening! Hopefully when they get older they will start to appreciate hair care lol.... Until then I guess it's up to us to instill "hair values" LOL! Keep up the good work mommy her hair is beautiful!

Thank you Saludable84!

I've been loving "big hair" lately so I'll stick to my smaller rollers for now. I'll also probably purchase some larger ones for an experiment in a few months.

One day I'mma come up in here and my roller sets are going to look like the 1st picture.

Then I'mma throw up in one big bantu knot for a few days and when I take it down, it's gonna look like the 2nd picture.

Gimme 3 years...I'mma be swanging all over the place!

Last edited:
What kind of heat protectant are you using? When I don't use a cone based serum, I get a lot if breakage, but when I do, I get very little. Also, I make sure I keep a spray bottle around to ensure my hair stays wet enough to comb as once it even attempts to dry, it becomes a challenge.

I use a moisrurizer not a serum... the moisrurizer does have cones in it but the serum is something to think about. Thx

Just took my bantu knot down from my roller set a few days ago. My roots did NOT lay flat this time...I should have did 3 instead of one but on a good note I do like the looser curls 1 bantu knot gives versus 3.

Y'all don't laugh at my side braid attempt. I had a hard time after I got to the crown and kept braiding around and not down like I should have. But I'm going to work on getting better at it. I'll keep this braid in until my next wash day and just spritz moisturizer on it every couple of days. Have a good weekend Ladies! xoxo

Last edited:
Have of you ladies tried the Sallys GVP for its a 10? How does it compare.

Meanwhile I am sleeping in some dc and will set tomorrow

Also, has anyone seen GettingKinky??

toaster Hi there! I've been out of the country on vacation for the past 2 weeks, this thread has been very active I'm trying to catch up on all I missed. Everyone's hair looks great!

My hair really needs some TLC. I'm getting a texlax touch-up on Thursday so I'm not sure when my next roller set will be.

I'm setting today. I'm excited to attempt again, now with different expectations and purposes.

Blairx0 you said you usually bun your set for the week right? How do you moisturize your hair in between wash days?

Back