SERIOUS help needed for a friend . . .

lisatamika

I have a friend that has 3A/B natural/colored hair that is about 3 to 4 inches from her waist. Up until lately, her usual routine had been working for her. That routine was just to conditioner wash daily with any old conditioner and wash with poo about once a week with any old shampoo. Her daily hairstyle is usually some type of bun or ponytail with an occassional blowdry and flat iron sprinkled in.

Lately, her hair has been shedding by the handfuls when she combs it. So far, the only thing she has done is stop CON washing it everyday so she won't have to comb and manipulate it so much.

I was telling her that it could be anything. . . not enough moisture (all she uses is that prostyl clear gel after she CON washes), not enough protein (which I doubt because of the gel, or maybe she the wrong kind of protein).

Anyways, what do you ladies think? Protein treatment? Deep conditioning? Garlic shampoo?

Any responses are appreciated. . . . .

She needs to run to a dermatologist to figure out what's wrong. Her routine didn't seem that abnormal, so there must be a deeper problem as to why her hair is falling out by the handful.

Well I just learned something new that I didn't know. I just finished shampooing my hair, but I usually just do the roots and let the shampoo run through the rest of my hair. So After I condition my ends felt really oily still (I did a pre poo on my scalp only), but I didn't hink anything of it. So I start to comb and A LOT of hair was coming out in the comb. I mean A LOT. So I was getting scared. So I decided to rewash my hair only the ends this time (I used Motions poo) and then ran the conditioner through for about 2 minutes (ends only). And the problem was solved. I never knew that too oily ends would cause my hair to comb out like that when I comb it.

Kaddy:
Sorry for hijacking, but I also noticed a similar thing Kaddy, when I try to do a pre poo oil treatment. My hair will shed terribly if I apply it to dry hair. It works best if I apply it to wet hair after I shampoo.

It could be a number of things....

Some conditioners have protein in them. Watch for that. You will always need to moisturize the hair after using protein. Stress will also cause the hair to shed. This time of the year is also shedding season. Most of us have witnessed this and have used protein treatments to combat this issue. Watch the products that you use. At some point products we may use may no longer work. You may have to switch to a like product (ex. if you use kendra moisturizing conditioner you may have to switch to another one like Dove's Intense Moisturizing conditioner). Also, remember moisture is the key... HTH!!!

[ QUOTE ]
She needs to run to a dermatologist to figure out what's wrong. Her routine didn't seem that abnormal, so there must be a deeper problem as to why her hair is falling out by the handful.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. If it shedding and not breakage she shoud see a doctor, it may be an internal problem. Stress and nutrition can play a factor in hair loss.

Also, ask her if she is taking any new medications or suppliments. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

Autumn is shedding time. I'd suggest a garlic OIL treatment on the scalp. Sit under the bonnet dryer with a scalp saturated in oil and a plastic cap to trap the heat.

Back