Question on breakage for my friend...

lexi84

Okay ladies she needs your help. She has healthy APL hair and is currently 3 weeks post. She's been into the healthy hair care thing for quite some time, but lately she's been having a bit of a problem with breakage. She wears her hair down at least 5-6 times per week, but she only does rollersets to achieve the straight style.

Regimen:

Once per week she pre-poos with ORS mayo, coconut oil, olive oil and a moisturizing conditioner (ususally NTM triple moisture). She applies the oils directly to her scalp after heating them up and applies the conditioner to her dry hair and wraps her hair in a warm moist towel and lets it sit for 15-20 minutes. She then washes it out with keracare 1st lather, then keracare dry itchy scalp, then keracare moisturizing shampoo (so she lathers three times...once for each different shampoo). Next she conditions with Humecto for about 15-20 minutes under her hooded dryer then she rinses and applies keracare leave in and biosilk serum. She then proceeds to rollerset and sits under the dryer for about 60 minutes.

Now here's the problem: After she washes and conditions her hair it feels like butter (her words exactly) and there is very little to no breakage, but after she combs out the rollerset she is experiencing lots more breakage than she would like. Is that normal? Is she missing something from her regimen? she told me her problem and I'm clueless....she has the protein, the moisture and avoiding direct heat. I'm stumped. Please help my friend ladies!!!!

NOT a permie but it could be stress or illness or a vitamin/nutritional deficiency. Once, those things have been eliminated then she may want to try deep conditioning for longing periods of time/taking vitamins/drinking water and using growth aides to baby that spot.

HTH.

NOT a permie but it could be stress or illness or a vitamin/nutritional deficiency. Once, those things have been eliminated then she may want to try deep conditioning for longing periods of time/taking vitamins/drinking water and using growth aides to baby that spot.

HTH.

Thanks for the quick response, but she already takes vitamins and drinks tons of water....sorry I forgot to mention that too. But you might be on to something as far as deep conditioning for longer periods.

Everything seems right to me. I wonder if it's the matter in which she's combing out the rollerset. What moisturizer is she using? Wish i could be more help, i'm just as clueless as you Lexi.

I think she would benefit from 5 or 10 minutes more of deep conditioning :yep:

I would say try other leave ins and serums!

It seems as if her hair is fine up until the final step...

Biosilk may be the problem, it has drying alcohol in it. Like the above poster said try another serum or a creamy leave-in for rollersets.

ETA--what about product build-up, could that be a problem?

Biosilk may be the problem, it has drying alcohol in it. Like the above poster said try another serum or a creamy leave-in for rollersets.

Okay this makes sense because its obviously something thats she's putting in after she conditions.

Thanks!!!! :grin:

I wouldn't think she has build up. Keracare shampoos are ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfate based.

I'm 100% sure about the first lather poo being ammonium lauryl sulfate...

I wouldn't think she has build up. Keracare shampoos are ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfate based.

Oh OK, it must be that Biosilk then, I know it was garbage on my hair. I'm still hanging on to it though can't throw it away. :perplexed

Oh OK, it must be that Biosilk then, I know it was garbage on my hair. I'm still hanging on to it though can't throw it away. :perplexed
Yeah, I've heard bad things about biosilk from everyone. Even people that don't have kinky hair hate the stuff.

You're absolutely right about that.

I was going to say ORS Mayo has some protein, and some peoples hair doesn't need that weekly .. but now I don't know. Sorry.:perplexed

Back