Self Trimming (Relaxed Hair)

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
This thread is started to help the fellow relaxed that may be looking to up the self-trim game. I know Feye's method is quite popular but what's your technique? Please share your dos and don'ts. How often you trim? And, do you trim after a fresh TU only? Feel free to share more info as needed.

I personally don't self trim with scissors -- maybe one day. For now I use my split ender for dusting after each TU and get trims done by my stylist as needed.

ETA: Including helpful links but your comments are still requested
Feye's Method - video
How to Self Trim (LHCF thread)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! Honestly, I just get any old scissors (I know, I know bad lindsay) and dust of a very tiny bit of my ends, like 1/8 of an inch, maybe less.

I have no technique. It's so funny because I trim in sections the way naturals do. :blush: And I trim whenever I feel like it even though it's probably best after a fresh relaxer. I would even trim on 12 week post relaxer hair. Yup. I don't even straighten. I just tug on my hair and hope for the best. :lol:

I should probably stop that though before I start having choppy ends. :nono:

I use Feye's method. My shears are by Arius Eickert or something like that and they're from Sally's. They were $40, but last a while and you can send them in to the manufacturer for sharpening and they send them back quickly. I think I've had them since 2005 and only had them sharpened once and they still work nicely.

I don't really have a trim schedule, but I do trim at least once within each relaxer cycle--may not actually be touch up day though. My trims are more for prevention, neatness, or fullness than necessity at this point. 10ish years of healthy hair care has paid off nicely. :)

Umm...we've seen what happened the last time I took a pair of shears to my head. I'm lopsided as hell. It was my first and last time using shears. I will be sticking to my split-ender. She has never done me wrong.

I have no technique. It's so funny because I trim in sections the way naturals do. :blush: And I trim whenever I feel like it even though it's probably best after a fresh relaxer. I would even trim on 12 week post relaxer hair. Yup. I don't even straighten. I just tug on my hair and hope for the best. :lol:

I should probably stop that though before I start having choppy ends. :nono:
This is me too:lol:

Thanks for the tips! Honestly, I just get any old scissors (I know, I know bad lindsay) and dust of a very tiny bit of my ends, like 1/8 of an inch, maybe less.

Me to...and I don't trim often, if I notice breakage I do a search and destroy but that's it

i trim my hair during the flat ironing. like since i am grabbing thin pieces all over my head, i trim 1/4 after i flat iron the piece. it takes me like almost 2 hours to do it this way, but i get all of my hair.

I trim with every relaxer using Feye's method. I have a pair of shears that I only use for hair.

I have a small section of hair that outgrows the rest of my head. So, every 14-15 weeks, I end up with a little tail. It looks like I trim off over an inch, but actually it's just the tail I'm snipping and a little pinch off the rest of my hair. :yep:

I use Feye's method if i'm truly giving myself a blunt end trim. As far as dusting, I do more of a search and destroy method. It's not scientific at all, lol.

Right now I just "dust". I got my Shears from Sally.

When/If I ever need anything a little more Extensive, I'll go to: Supercuts, Master Cuts, Saturdays or someplace like that.

Ms. Tiki said:
Umm...we've seen what happened the last time I took a pair of shears to my head. I'm lopsided as hell. It was my first and last time using shears. I will be sticking to my split-ender. She has never done me wrong.

I do the split ender to make sure every piece get trimmed even the shorter hairs but still use the scissors to even out

No rhyme or reason to my trims either. I've cut 2" since my relaxer at the end of April, and each trim has been done on airdried hair. :look: It doesn't appear to be uneven though. Most of my snips have been to take off the tail I was growing. I think the method I use is Feye's if that's when you bring it to the front and cut both sides then snip off the tail. All I know is my hair has been detangling muuuuuch easier lately.

I have pretty much been using this method for years. I tend to only cut when it starts looking ugly. Please excuse my raggedy closet, lol

IMG_0399-1-1.jpg
Ends2.jpg

ENds-1.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg

KhandiB, I really appreciate those pics. Now I'm more confident I'm trimming the right hair.

I think search and destroy works only for those with hair longer than SL! I can't see the back of my hair well enough for close examination.

Back