Self-Relaxing Ladies, offer your wisdom.

The first time I self relaxed, my results were:

• overprocessed in places

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • underprocessed in places

Votes: 130 53.7%
  • some of both

Votes: 51 21.1%
  • came out mostly perfect!

Votes: 51 21.1%

• Total voters

skoloco

After waiting over an hour this morning for my stylist to show up :mad: , then spending 3 hours in the salon, I am finally at the point where I would like to consider doing my own relaxer. This is something that has always intimidated me, but after reading about how many of you are so successful at it, I am truly inspired. Since I just retouched, I have some time to research this, but I would like to get some opinions. Are there some relaxers that are more user friendly than others? And what about the processing time that is in the instructions. Is is accurate, or is there a way to tell when the relaxer is in your hair if it is processed enough or not (i.e. does it "look" straight). I have seen a lot of good things about Silk Elements for first time self-relaxers.

I really feel I can do this for next time, but I definitely want to be prepared. My stylist uses Affirm regular on me, and my hair is very straight. I am mostly 4b, with some 4a at the nape and temples.

I used the self-relaxing tips in the newcomer's guide to starting out. They work really well. I underprocessed because I used Silk Elements mild lye. Next time, I'm using regular strength. If you want to know about how long it will take for you hair to process, put some relaxer on a strand of hair that shed from your head. Time how long it takes for it to process, and you'll have an idea of how long you need to relax. I think Silk Elements is user friendly because I did not burn and it does not have that relaxer smell.

ITA with the Silk Element lye relaxer. I use the Regular strength. Definitely use Southergirl's self relaxing tips as a guide. There is also a LHCFer named LondonDiva who has an excellent step by step tutorial in her fotki. I am so happy that I started self relaxing and now have total liberation from stylists who would routine relax my hair into stick straight submission.

I like self relaxing. One of the things I found useful for me was to do the smoothing process with my fingers. I also apply the relaxer by hand. I feel that I don't underprocess as much because I can feel what I am doing, especially in places where I can't see.

devilish1 said:
I like self relaxing. One of the things I found useful for me was to do the smoothing process with my fingers. I also apply the relaxer by hand. I feel that I don't underprocess as much because I can feel what I am doing, especially in places where I can't see.

I do this as well.

I would check out SouthernGirls tutorial also.

I didn't vote in the poll because I don't remember how mines came out. I have been self relaxing for yeards granted I had been doing it wrong though. But here are some tips from me:

Base your scalp well

Base your hair well-coat it will a NO CONE conditioner concentrating on the very ends, try not to get it on the negrowth if you don't want to texlax. But if you do get it on the newgrowth it's not a big deal.

Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, neutralize, neutralize, neutralize, neutralize, You get the picture.:lol:

Now deep conditioner heavy with a good quality deep conditioner, WITH heat fr about 30-45 minutes.

Use a good leave-in.

Have someone help you-after years of relaxing without help, I am finally askig my sis to help me, she is good because she is a self-relaxer too.

If you do all of this you are gauranteed to have a good turn out.

Two steps that I found very beneficial the last time I self relaxed. I used the Ultra Sheen Duo Tex after rinsing out the relaxer and before nuetralizing, I also used Porosity Control after I nuetralized and before conditioning. My hair came out very silky and it did not have that "just permed feeling".

In the times past when I have underprocessed, it was mostly b/c I was being stingy with the relaxer. Glob that mess on the new growth, chile! :grin: This is the one time where conservation of product (and water when rinsing it out) goes completely out the window :yep:

Also when doing this, you won't have to worry a/b smoothing with like 30 secs of processing time left. The more you slather it on in the beginning the more strands will be in contact w/the relaxer longer. Smoothing will be unnecessary at that point.

Two steps that I found very beneficial the last time I self relaxed. I used the Ultra Sheen Duo Tex after rinsing out the relaxer and before nuetralizing, I also used Porosity Control after I nuetralized and before conditioning. My hair came out very silky and it did not have that "just permed feeling".
Where did you get this Ultra Sheen Duo Tex??

Well, I use "just for me" Regular. I luv it. I don't think it is any milder than a "grown-up" relaxer but I like the pre-treater that they put in it.
After you put the vaseline on around your forehead, ears and whatnot...they give u 2 packs of this generous pretreater liquid that u put all over your head. I part my hair in 4 sections and apply it and then on with the perming.
I'm not sure if any other relaxer on the market has this pre-treater, but I won't change my relaxer for nothing. It helps with overprocessing.
What I've found thru trial and error that the top left side of my hair is pretty tough. so i have to focus on smoothing that section a bit more than the rest.
I start from back to front.
I smooth it all until it is smoothed into 2 pigtails.
I've gotten pretty good where I don't need to time it, I go according to how the wave pattern is looking on my hair with the creme relaxer in it.

I rinse it out with warm water for a long time and then i wash it with the neutralizing shampoo. It turns pink if the relaxer is still in it. Then it's all white sudes when done.

I blow it out and it's laying like a bedsheet.
HTH!

Ditto. And make sure the rest of the hair is coated with oil or condtioner or something so you don't over process it.

My relaxers come out perfect every time ......I went to school for hair....so I don't have to trust anyone in my head unless I want to

:lachen: Its bout that time for me and honestly, I don't want to do it myself. It takes too much time since I do it in 2 sections. I don't know where to go though. You know I am supposted to touch up on your B-day

Yes I noticed that.......I'm relaxing the Sat b4 so it will be fresh on my B-day....I'm going to Costco's to go grocery shopping (If my husband will hurry up and come on).....When I get back I'll start a thread with tips that I personally use....

Yes I noticed that.......I'm relaxing the Sat b4 so it will be fresh on my B-day....I'm going to Costco's to go grocery shopping (If my husband will hurry up and come on).....When I get back I'll start a thread with tips that I personally use....

Thanks! You rock :yay:

The first time I relaxed it turned out perfect. I remember clearly:
My mother and I went to the store. We went to the car. I told her I forgot to get something. I went back inside to purchase the relaxer. When we were home, I hid in my room and relaxed my hair.

When I was finished, I went into the tv room and asked my mother if I could relax my hair and if it turned out well. She said, “ Yes”. I asked her how she liked my hair. She said it was pretty and looked nice. I confessed that I just relaxed it, and she said I could continue doing it myself.

She was pleased because the woman that was doing our hair ... we would always have scabs on our scalp the next day... that lasted a week. The only time a professional did my hair and it turned out well was some man in Stockholm. He rinsed it forever ...no burns … nothing ... perfect.

I don't relax anymore ...transitioning. You could practice applying conditioner on a doll or better yet your hair, as you would a relaxer if you are concerned about technique and timing. I just did it though. I always based my scalp well. After the "Stockholm Man" I copied his techniques in addition to what I was already doing.

Last edited:
I actually taught my boyfriend how to relax my hair:giggle:

it started a few months ago when I had NG and I just couldnt cough up the 60-80 dollars for a touch up. It seemed like a waste of money because I had all the tools I needed here at home and I knew how. So I told my bf the situation and he agreed to do it saving me some $$ and time.

He is pretty good with it and he doesnt overlap.

I just began self relaxing about 6 months ago and it has gone wonderfully. I just made sure that I was extra prepared. Had all of my tools and products in place and ready to go weeks before I even relaxed. I also made sure to study all of the self relaxing tutorials like a mad woman and everything came out splendid.

It takes a long time because I do it in 4 sections but I don't mind because I am completely free from stylists now. All I have to do now is learn how to cornrow my own hair and there will be no stopping me.:yep:

I make sure that my scalp is well greased with either vaseline or dax that I apply the night before. The dax is really to soothe anywhere that I've been scratching, because although stinky that stuff heals like a dream.

Also, I part in 4 section and get my timer out, put conditioner that comes with kit on length of hair, and then get my rat talk comb and start working away, smoothing and applying with my hand. I'm going to start applying it with the fine tooth comb though.

I've always had good results.

I cant say that I do any prepping, I just dont wash my hair 2 weeks before.

Then I part in 4 sections, slap it on and mush it in. Then I hit the nape and edges last.

Get in the shower and rinse it out. I have never had burns or relaxer nightmares.

In the times past when I have underprocessed, it was mostly b/c I was being stingy with the relaxer. Glob that mess on the new growth, chile! :grin: This is the one time where conservation of product (and water when rinsing it out) goes completely out the window :yep:

Also when doing this, you won't have to worry a/b smoothing with like 30 secs of processing time left. The more you slather it on in the beginning the more strands will be in contact w/the relaxer longer. Smoothing will be unnecessary at that point.

I think you are absolutely correct! I was pinching with the relaxer the last time I relaxed and my hair turned out really underprocessed. I was trying to not get any relaxer on the previous relaxed hair but I got it on there anyway. Globbing it on is much better than what I was doing it. Thanks for this tip!

I actually taught my boyfriend how to relax my hair:giggle:

it started a few months ago when I had NG and I just couldnt cough up the 60-80 dollars for a touch up. It seemed like a waste of money because I had all the tools I needed here at home and I knew how. So I told my bf the situation and he agreed to do it saving me some $$ and time.

He is pretty good with it and he doesnt overlap.

:ohwell: I wish!

My hair usually is underprocessed in the front and the crown area, but I think God is just messing with me when it comes to that patch of hair. I think that he just like to see me in total awe b/c that hair refuses to behave and relax.
1. If you want accurate results do a strand test to see just how long your takes to relax
2. Definitely if you can, get someone to help you, to make sure that you are not overlapping the relaxer. Because of possible overlapping is why I relax a lot less frequently that I used to.
3. Get ALL (I can't stress this enough) of your materials (comb, timer, gloves, towels etc.) together ahead of time.

i also have to use my bare hands...with the gloves, i can't feel if my hair is straightened or not, but this may be a problem if u have sensitive skin like me. i have to use super strength because my hair is VERY coarse. I usually don't have to smooth as much, except the last part of my hair which is the front. if your scalp is sensitive, make sure u use a base. i can not stress how important it is to rinse your hair very thoroughly, and to use neutralizing shampoo. Other shampoo may burn your scalp. I think most of the neutralizing shampoo turns pink when there are traces of relaxer still in the hair. i have to usually shampoo and rinse about 4 times if i'm doing it myself, just to be sure. Oh and pay attention to scalp sensations..if it starts to 'burn' its time to rinse. I have had horrible sores by trying to work past the burn. Plus it could cause hair loss. And make sure not to wash it right before you relax it. That makes your scalp extra sensitive and easier to burn quicker

Last edited:
Back