Self Relaxers UNITE!!! Post tips and tricks here!

chayil0427

Hey ladies! This is my first post! WHOO HOO! I've been stalking you guys for about 9 months. Pitiful I know.

Anyway, on with business....I've decided to take my hair care into my own hands for a year and see how it goes. I'm a proud user of creamy-crack and want to get all the tips and tricks on self-relaxing (I know there are other threads on this topic, but I'm having trouble finding them so I thought why not start a new one.) My first relaxer job came out a little horrible. It was very underprocessed, and I did a horrible job of keeping the relaxer centered on my new growth. So self relaxers UNITE! Post your tips, tricks, and stories here.

Chayil

I posed a similiar question a few days ago, one response was to time yourself, also their was a thread, that suggested using your conditioner and apply it as though it were the relaxer, also, use a leave-in conditioner on the previously relaxed hair, I am sure some of the other ladies will respond shortly, they are very willing to share HTh

I posted this on another thread but I'll copy and pasted it below

I dont post to often but I thought I'd share some info I gained over the w/end - I can't give you his name until I ask if its ok

I recently had underprocessed my hair on my last relax 7/7/06 so I was in need of a good hairdresser.

I found a hair guru who broke down the intricate details of hair. He writes medical journals, Hair helplines, makes products etc

Well here goes! i'm not good at explaining things but I'll give it a try

According to him the majority of peoples hair is overprocessed due to incompetent hair stylists.

The proper way to relax. (the majority of us have already relaxed hair so I'll tell you how to correct it.)

Users like Sistaslick who have texlaxed hair are better off.

The human eye does not recognize Millimetres so you will always get cream on previous processed hair - below is how to avoid overprocessing

Starting point - Example 2 inches of new growth.

When applying the cream to new growth your aim is to finish as quickly as possible and wash out. So that it is only texlaxed just slightly loosening the curl. Call this NG1

The next time you have to relax NG2 you will comb it through abit and then wash out. ng2 is texlaxed but now NG1 has been processed more as automatically the cream will overlap on previously relaxed hair

Next time you have to relax NG3 you will comb it through abit and then wash out. ng3 is texlaxed but now NG2 has been processed more as automatically the cream will overlap on previously relaxed hair

Its supposed to be UNDERPROCESSED- PROCESSED - UNDERPROCESSED ETC

At present you have Processed - Overprocessed - Processed - Overprocessed.

If its not explained clear enough please let me know - as he drew me a picture to explain which I would need to access a scanner to show you.

Hey chayil0427 :wave:

One thing that I do is relax my hair in two sections (This gives me more time to smooth the hair. I do the front first, while the back is pinned up, then the back while the front is pinned up).

I part each of the two sections into really small horizontal sections (This is to give myself easier access to my new growth without having to worry about parting while I have relaxer in my hair. That way I can just concentrate on smoothing once I start).

I then coat the already relaxed hair in each section with hair gease, something thick with petroleum in it, and loosly twist it.

I leave the relaxer in for 15 mins, rinse, wash with neutralizing shampoo, lather with neutra-shamp, leave on for a few mins, then rinse. Then repeat the relaxing process with the back section.

I then do a hot oil treatment with a good hair-penetrating oil (So far I've been using hollywood beauty's carrot oil--with heating cap for 30-40mins). This gets rid of any traces of hardness or dryness my hair usually has after relaxing. Then deep condition with a good moisturizing conditioner.

I know this is a lot to do, but self-relaxing is like painting--it's 90% preperation. The better you prepare for the actual relaxing, the better your results will be. Plus, you'll only have to do it every 6-8 wks, or less if you stretch. HTH

Tashique said:
I posted this on another thread but I'll copy and pasted it below

I dont post to often but I thought I'd share some info I gained over the w/end - I can't give you his name until I ask if its ok

I recently had underprocessed my hair on my last relax 7/7/06 so I was in need of a good hairdresser.

I found a hair guru who broke down the intricate details of hair. He writes medical journals, Hair helplines, makes products etc

Well here goes! i'm not good at explaining things but I'll give it a try

According to him the majority of peoples hair is overprocessed due to incompetent hair stylists.

The proper way to relax. (the majority of us have already relaxed hair so I'll tell you how to correct it.)

Users like Sistaslick who have texlaxed hair are better off.

The human eye does not recognize Millimetres so you will always get cream on previous processed hair - below is how to avoid overprocessing

Starting point - Example 2 inches of new growth.

When applying the cream to new growth your aim is to finish as quickly as possible and wash out. So that it is only texlaxed just slightly loosening the curl. Call this NG1

The next time you have to relax NG2 you will comb it through abit and then wash out. ng2 is texlaxed but now NG1 has been processed more as automatically the cream will overlap on previously relaxed hair

Next time you have to relax NG3 you will comb it through abit and then wash out. ng3 is texlaxed but now NG2 has been processed more as automatically the cream will overlap on previously relaxed hair

Its supposed to be UNDERPROCESSED- PROCESSED - UNDERPROCESSED ETC

At present you have Processed - Overprocessed - Processed - Overprocessed.

If its not explained clear enough please let me know - as he drew me a picture to explain which I would need to access a scanner to show you.

Good stuff girlfriend...thanks for the post!

Chayil

I also do my relaxer in sections, and that's my best tip. This gives me more time and allows me to relax and really pay attention to what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Mix a thick conditioner with neutralizing shampoo and put this all over the relaxed length...especially the ends.

I'm fortunate to have a mirror for each of my bathroom cabinets above the sink so I can see the back of my head.

But I part in four sections and I start with the section of hair that's the most coarse.

OK - i AM A LONG TIME SOMETIMES GREAT SOMETIMES HORRIBLE SELF RELAXER. MY RELAXER ONLY CAME OUT AS GREAT AS THE RELAXER. BASICALLY IF IT BURNED THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF ME, i WAS ALWAYS WASHING OUT EARLY AND HAVE THE FRONT LEFT STRAIGHT THE FRONT RIGHT SO -SO THE BACK LEFT UNDERPROCESSED AND THE BACK RIGHT BARELY PROCESSED AT ALL.

sO i LIKE THE IDEA OF DOING THE FRONT FIRST, RINSE OUT, ETC. bUT MY QUESTION IS THIS HOW DO YOU GET TO RINSE AND WASH OUT THE FRONT WITHOUT IT GETTING ON THE BACK SECTION? dO YOU PUT A PLASTIC CAP ON THE BACK HALF OR WHAT? i AM STRETCHING- HAVE ABOUT 1.5 INCHES OF NEW GROWTH AND ABOUT 3 INCHES OF UNDERPROCESSED HAIR SO i'M REALLY GOING TO NEED MY NEXT RELAXER TO BE RIGHT. HELP!

nomoweavesfome said:
OK - i AM A LONG TIME SOMETIMES GREAT SOMETIMES HORRIBLE SELF RELAXER. MY RELAXER ONLY CAME OUT AS GREAT AS THE RELAXER. BASICALLY IF IT BURNED THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF ME, i WAS ALWAYS WASHING OUT EARLY AND HAVE THE FRONT LEFT STRAIGHT THE FRONT RIGHT SO -SO THE BACK LEFT UNDERPROCESSED AND THE BACK RIGHT BARELY PROCESSED AT ALL.

sO i LIKE THE IDEA OF DOING THE FRONT FIRST, RINSE OUT, ETC. bUT MY QUESTION IS THIS HOW DO YOU GET TO RINSE AND WASH OUT THE FRONT WITHOUT IT GETTING ON THE BACK SECTION? dO YOU PUT A PLASTIC CAP ON THE BACK HALF OR WHAT? i AM STRETCHING- HAVE ABOUT 1.5 INCHES OF NEW GROWTH AND ABOUT 3 INCHES OF UNDERPROCESSED HAIR SO i'M REALLY GOING TO NEED MY NEXT RELAXER TO BE RIGHT. HELP!

I was wondering about this also. Please explain. TIA

nomoweavesfome said:

When I rinse and shampoo the front section, I lean forward over my bathroom sink(The kitchen sink would probably be better if you have one of those sprayers). Water does get on the back section and the hair is usually a little damp when I relax it, but it has never caused a problem. When I'm finished applying the relaxer to the back, I rinse and shampoo in the shower. HTH

chocolatesis said:
When I rinse and shampoo the front section, I lean forward over my bathroom sink(The kitchen sink would probably be better if you have one of those sprayers). Water does get on the back section and the hair is usually a little damp when I relax it, but it has never caused a problem. When I'm finished applying the relaxer to the back, I rinse and shampoo in the shower. HTH

Okay so you can relax damp hair, I didn't know this that is why I never tried this method.

alexstin said:
How do you see the back well enough to do it?

Others may want to chime in too, but I have a mirror on the wall and a medicine cabinet with a moirror. I then take on of those long mirrors that you can hang on a door and put it behind me. Essentially making my own three way mirror. This way I can see every angle of my head. HTH

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted yet in this thread. :eek: Self relaxing is very near and dear to my heart. Here the tricks that have worked for me:

I oil my scalp with Africa's Best oil as a base. I have also added Vaseline or grease to my scalp too, next time I might just add some baby oil to my oil scalp mix. I then part my hair in four sections. I apply conditioner and grease to my previously relaxed hair and gently detangle. Within each section, I create smaller subsections of hair divided and secure with little girl plastic barrettes. They are very easy to pop off when you get to each section and the hair is already detangled and parted which really facilitates the application process.

I use a small applicator brush and I have my hubby on hand to get the back and aid in smoothing. I apply to the most resistant areas first, the back and sides, working my way towards the hairline and saving my nape for last.

Then I rinse all the traces of the relaxer out, generously apply Wella Regeneral ph Normalizing Lotion and leave on for 2 min and then rinse again. Then I use my Proclaim Neutralizing poo. I lather up with it generously, rinse and repeat a few times. Then I lather up again and let it sit for 5 min., rinse, lather and rinse one more time for good measure. Then I proceed with deep conditioning. HTH y'all! :D

Back