Self relaxers: Relaxer on Back/skin when rinsing (?)

• Thread starter Thread starter MJ
  • Start date Start date

MJ

I'm practicing how to do touch ups, in sections (I'm following londondiva's instructions). I have no problem rinsing out the two front sections using a detachable shower head. But when I rinse the back, the water runs down my back. I tried rinsing that section with my head to the side, but that just let the water run into my face and into the front section. I also tried leaning back as far as possible, but that doesn't help (I don't know if that's because I'm tall -- 5'9").

Has anyone, who relax in sections, been successful at not letting the relaxer water run down their back/body when rinsing the back section?

mzjones said:
I'm practicing how to do touch ups, in sections (I'm following londondiva's instructions). I have no problem rinsing out the two front sections using a detachable shower head. But when I rinse the back, the water runs down my back. I tried rinsing that section with my head to the side, but that just let the water run into my face and into the front section. I also tried leaning back as far as possible, but that doesn't help (I don't know if that's because I'm tall -- 5'9").

Has anyone, who relax in sections, been successful at not letting the relaxer water run down their back/body when rinsing the back section?
I never liked the idea of rinsing the relaxer out in the shower because of the possibility of the relaxer running down on my skin. I always rinse in the kitchen sink, for me it's just a little easier and less of a hastle. My hair is completely straight to the bone (just how I like it) by the time i'm done smoothing, I never had a problem with under/overprocessing my hair or my clients, and have been self relaxing since I was 17, so that's 12yrs. I'm 5'8 1/2 so I don't think your to tall maybe that's not a good way for you, try the sink with the spray nozzle and see if that helps, last but not least get a friend to help you rinse out in sections if that's what you prefer.:) Hope you have a better chance next time! HHG

Last edited:
Relax, neutralize and rinse the front section first, then relax the back. When you go to rinse the back, rinse it in the same direction that you rinsed the front BUT neutralize your whole head all over again.

Porsche19 said:
Relax, neutralize and rinse the front section first, then relax the back. When you go to rinse the back, rinse it in the same direction that you rinsed the front BUT neutralize your whole head all over again.
I thought it was better to apply the reconstructor after rinsing the relaxer then the neutralizer ???

noooo... :)

I'm just saying that when you rinse the relaxer in the back section of your head off in the same direction as the front, relaxer residue will get on the (already netrualized) front, so you would have to neutralize your whole head (re-netrualize the front)

Say that it's a relax, condition, neutralize system:

1) relax the front section
2) rinse and condition the front section
3) rinse and neutralize the front section and rinse
4) relax the back section
5) rinse and condition all of your hear
6) rinse and neutralize all of your hair

I'm not the best at explaining myself...

Mizjones don't worry about the relaxer running down on your hair when rinsing the last section out since it is the last section you can just re-wash the entire head. Do you relax at a slow pace?

I get what your saying now :)
Porsche19 said:
noooo... :)
I'm just saying that when you rinse the relaxer in the back section of your head off in the same direction as the front, relaxer residue will get on the (already netrualized) front, so you would have to neutralize your whole head (re-netrualize the front)

Say that it's a relax, condition, neutralize system:

1) relax the front section
2) rinse and condition the front section
3) rinse and neutralize the front section and rinse
4) relax the back section
5) rinse and condition all of your hear
6) rinse and neutralize all of your hair

I'm not the best at explaining myself...

mzjones said:
Yes, mostly because my hair is thick.
Did you ever try a slower paced relaxer? Since mild processes the slowest, then regular then super processes quickly, that's why there is a time frame to do it to prevent overprocessin. maybe you should try a slower processing relaxer if you haven't already that way you'll have more time to relax your entire head instead of all that hastle, somethings work for others, but that's to much for me.

Sorry Beautiful, I deleted my original comment cos it was confusing...

But thank you and Porsche soo much for your help :). I think I'm going to practice your suggestions this weekend. I use mayonaisse and yogurt to practice.

I think I'm slow because in practice, I've found that for each section, I spend 5 minutes applying the "relaxer," 15 minutes smoothing, and another 20-25 minutes doing the rinsing, neutralizing, and conditioning. There is no way I could apply and smooth my entire head, or even half of it, in 20 minutes.

Last summer I tried relaxing my hair 3 times (without practicing first) and it came out underprocessed everytime because I rushed to do my entired head in the allotted 20 minutes. I'm scared to do that again :look:

When I relax in November, I'm thinking of using either Affirm mild or regular. I was leaning towards mild, but not anymore. I have 4a/b/z hair and I want it to be 85% straight and I have read on this forum that Affirm mild may be too mild for my hair type.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help

Last edited:
You welcome, laa mushkhila (no problem). Just remember if always check the sections right before rinsing to make sure your hair is done processing by take a comb and wipe over the area removing a little of the relaxer to see the results if its not ready then put the relaxer back on that section, and always do the resistent area firt since it processes slower. I really hope you hope you have a better chance next time. If i was in your area I would hook a sister up :grin:
mzjones said:
Sorry Beautiful, I deleted my original comment cos it was confusing...

But thank you and Porsche soo much for your help :). I think I'm going to practice your suggestions this weekend. I use mayonaisse and yogurt to practice.

I think I'm slow because in practice, I've found that for each section, I spend 5 minutes applying the "relaxer," 15 minutes smoothing, and another 20-25 minutes doing the rinsing, neutralizing, and conditioning. There is no way I could apply and smooth my entire head, or even half of it, in 20 minutes.

Last summer I tried relaxing my hair 3 times (without practicing first) and it came out underprocessed everytime because I rushed to do my entired head in the allotted 20 minutes. I'm scared to do that again :look:

When I relax in November, I'm thinking of using either Affirm mild or regular. I was leaning towards mild, but not anymore. I have 4a/b/z hair and I want it to be 85% straight and I have read on this forum that Affirm mild may be too mild for my hair type.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help

BeautifulWideEyes said:
You welcome, laa mushkhila (no problem). Just remember if always check the sections right before rinsing to make sure your hair is done processing by take a comb and wipe over the area removing a little of the relaxer to see the results if its not ready then put the relaxer back on that section, and always do the resistent area firt since it processes slower. I really hope you hope you have a better chance next time. If i was in your area I would hook a sister up :grin:

Thanks! :)

I just wear an old cotton shirt and cotton shorts when I rinse my relaxer out in the shower. That way it doesn't get on my skin. I like to keep the hair going in the same direction because smoothing at this point is very important as well. Also I feel that I get all of the relaxer out much better when I am in the shower.

LiLi said:
I just wear an old cotton shirt and cotton shorts when I rinse my relaxer out in the shower. That way it doesn't get on my skin. I like to keep the hair going in the same direction because smoothing at this point is very important as well. Also I feel that I get all of the relaxer out much better when I am in the shower.

LiLi, you continue to smooth your hair while you wash it out? (I didn't know I was to do that.)

You don't have to smooth it while rinsing, it's important to have it lying straight as you rinse it. Until it's neutralized, the relaxer is still working, you don't want to move it in some weird, tangled direction and then have it not come out straight. It's no big deal, just make sure that it's lying down, meaning all your hair is being pulled down by gravity as you rinse it.

Porsche19 said:
You don't have to smooth it while rinsing, it's important to have it lying straight as you rinse it. Until it's neutralized, the relaxer is still working, you don't want to move it in some weird, tangled direction and then have it not come out straight. It's no big deal, just make sure that it's lying down, meaning all your hair is being pulled down by gravity as you rinse it.

oh, okay. Thanks.

mzjones said:
Don't sell yourself short! It's been roughly one year since I started self-relaxing. I started out practicing with conditioner and relaxing in sections. Now, I relax (plus smooth) my whole head in 17 minutes (faster than the stylists :lachen: ).

Some tips, if I may (this is what works for me):

- do a pre-relaxer assessment. feel your new growth with your finger so that you know exactly how high up that you have to apply the relaxer.

- work like your fingers are on fire. Applying relaxer to each section takes me 2.5 minutes. I go back to smooth. This more than anything took practice.

I don't rinse in the shower but I lean over the tub. This took some getting used to because you have to twist to get both sides of your head but I also have a plastic bucket and cup filled with water standing by just in case.

When I relaxed in sections, I did the front first, left my hair hanging down until I could use the towel, so that the back section (which I had wrapped in plastic) would not get wet.

Chichi :bdance:

Chichi said:
Don't sell yourself short! It's been roughly one year since I started self-relaxing. I started out practicing with conditioner and relaxing in sections. Now, I relax (plus smooth) my whole head in 17 minutes (faster than the stylists :lachen: ).

Some tips, if I may (this is what works for me):

- do a pre-relaxer assessment. feel your new growth with your finger so that you know exactly how high up that you have to apply the relaxer.

- work like your fingers are on fire. Applying relaxer to each section takes me 2.5 minutes. I go back to smooth. This more than anything took practice.

I don't rinse in the shower but I lean over the tub. This took some getting used to because you have to twist to get both sides of your head but I also have a plastic bucket and cup filled with water standing by just in case.

When I relaxed in sections, I did the front first, left my hair hanging down until I could use the towel, so that the back section (which I had wrapped in plastic) would not get wet.

Chichi :bdance:

Thanks chichi :)

Back