self bleaching your own hair

disgtgyal

Has anyone bleached and colored their hair themself, if so i would like your help. I have a semi-perm blue black rinse in my hair and would like to bleach and color my bang a golden brown or copper auburn. My question is should i use a 10 or 20 volume developer? FYI sheldeez.com now has the complete moisturcolor system

disgtgyal said:
Has anyone bleached and colored their hair themself, if so i would like your help. I have a semi-perm blue black rinse in my hair and would like to bleach and color my bang a golden brown or copper auburn. My question is should i use a 10 or 20 volume developer? FYI sheldeez.com now has the complete moisturcolor system
well..depends...are you using an ultra blue w/ or w/o an activator??? I bleach RELIGIOUSLY...(see fotki)

actually i was planing on using affirm moisturcolor since it says it can lift 7 shades in 15 mins. same bday dats wassup

disgtgyal said:
actually i was planing on using affirm moisturcolor since it says it can lift 7 shades in 15 mins. same bday dats wassup
sorry...HAVE NO idea about the affirm...let me know how it works...maybe I'll try it if you have good results!

Are you relaxed or natural? I ask this because I recently went lighter from a darker color(as I've done many times) and this time around even though I only did my bangs and the top portion of my hair.... I lost a LOT of hair...double processed hair is extremely hard to maintain and even if you're careful you can expect some breakage...most ladies that have any success with bleaching are usually natural....if you aren't natural I really really really don't think you should...not to say my opinion is golden..I'm just sharing my experience as someone who is relaxed...if you're natural...you can probably disregard everything I just said=) lol

hunnybunny81 said:
Are you relaxed or natural? I ask this because I recently went lighter from a darker color(as I've done many times) and this time around even though I only did my bangs and the top portion of my hair.... I lost a LOT of hair...double processed hair is extremely hard to maintain and even if you're careful you can expect some breakage...most ladies that have any success with bleaching are usually natural....if you aren't natural I really really really don't think you should...not to say my opinion is golden..I'm just sharing my experience as someone who is relaxed...if you're natural...you can probably disregard everything I just said=) lol
ITA...not having to double process is a lot safer, and kinder to your hair

ah dag my hair is relaxed with fiberguard :( i guess i should reconsider being that this is the healthiest my hair has ever been since my very first relaxer.

ive had highlights before and with care my hair thrived and i didnt experience any excessive breakage. i recently highlighted my hair and so far so good. remember to up the protein as well as keeping it moisturized. HTH

jaded_faerie said:
ive had highlights before and with care my hair thrived and i didnt experience any excessive breakage. i recently highlighted my hair and so far so good. remember to up the protein as well as keeping it moisturized. HTH
hmm mayb there is hope after all LoL. my hair is color resistant i tried highlights 2 summers ago and it did not take so i would have to let the bleach sit for awhile then apply color. anyone else hav color resistant hair and attained highlights with min damage?

My hair is extremely resistant, but fortunatley it is not relaxed, so I can be a little more aggressive when I bleach.
I have to use a 40 volume developer and leave it on for the max time to get a good clean lift with no brassy red or gold left in my hair. Then I deposit the color (whatever color has been cooking in my head to use, usually a Nice and Easy).
If you already have 2 chemicals in your own hair, I wouldn't touch it with bleach. This is coming from someone who is verrry adventurous with color (one of the benefits of being natural- more room to play with color). With a relaxer AND a black rinse, I would take it to a pro to get you started. After your hair has already been lightened, then you can do your own touch ups (as long as you use the same products), but you want someone with a lot of experience mixing all those chemicals on your head.

mermaid said:
My hair is extremely resistant, but fortunatley it is not relaxed, so I can be a little more aggressive when I bleach.
I have to use a 40 volume developer and leave it on for the max time to get a good clean lift with no brassy red or gold left in my hair. Then I deposit the color (whatever color has been cooking in my head to use, usually a Nice and Easy).
If you already have 2 chemicals in your own hair, I wouldn't touch it with bleach. This is coming from someone who is verrry adventurous with color (one of the benefits of being natural- more room to play with color). With a relaxer AND a black rinse, I would take it to a pro to get you started. After your hair has already been lightened, then you can do your own touch ups (as long as you use the same products), but you want someone with a lot of experience mixing all those chemicals on your head.
Say it, girll!!

disgtgyal said:
hmm mayb there is hope after all LoL. my hair is color resistant i tried highlights 2 summers ago and it did not take so i would have to let the bleach sit for awhile then apply color. anyone else hav color resistant hair and attained highlights with min damage?
Relaxed hair tends to be porous and decolorize much easier/faster than natural, virgin hair, which begs the question: Were these highlights done on hair that had NOT been previously color treated?

balisi said:
Relaxed hair tends to be porous and decolorize much easier/faster than natural, virgin hair, which begs the question: Were these highlights done on hair that had NOT been previously color treated?
no my hair wasnt color treated wen i got the highlights i started rinsing blue-black to even out the color bcoz some parts were colored and some wasnt. I guess the general consensus is i shudnt do it coz of all the chemicals i hav in my hair already or if i do it i shud get it done by a pro its jus that i completely do everything for my hair myself and i'm kinda hesistant to go back to the salon since my hair is in a very decent condition

What is your natural hair colour?
If it's black, you'll probably need 40 vol. But as you only want to dye it over with golden brown/copper auburn you won't need to leave it on as long as you would if you were going blonde.
I would say if you bleach til the hair is a yellow-orange colour, the colour you want should take ok then.
Although, it might take a bit longer bleach as you have the blue-black rinse in. And you might get some greenish inbetween stages. Maybe wait til most of the rinse has washed out?

When I bleached, most of my hair was relaxed. The damage wasn't that bad until I started constantly using direct heat and getting lazy with the deep conditioning.
Now, what's left of the bleached part is mostly natural (I'm transitioning) and in great condition despite the bleach!
So, double processing IS bad, but damage can be reduced by not using direct heat, deep conditioning and generally looking after your hair.

PerfectDoak said:
What is your natural hair colour?
If it's black, you'll probably need 40 vol. But as you only want to dye it over with golden brown/copper auburn you won't need to leave it on as long as you would if you were going blonde.
I would say if you bleach til the hair is a yellow-orange colour, the colour you want should take ok then.
Although, it might take a bit longer bleach as you have the blue-black rinse in. And you might get some greenish inbetween stages. Maybe wait til most of the rinse has washed out?

When I bleached, most of my hair was relaxed. The damage wasn't that bad until I started constantly using direct heat and getting lazy with the deep conditioning.
Now, what's left of the bleached part is mostly natural (I'm transitioning) and in great condition despite the bleach!
So, double processing IS bad, but damage can be reduced by not using direct heat, deep conditioning and generally looking after your hair.
thanks for your insight i'll think ill hold off until i'm 100% sure. why use a 40-volume? i was told to always use 10v on relaxed hair. but i guess the 40 will lift faster and cause less damage since it wont hav to be on the hair that long, is that correct?

10 and 20 will be less damaging, but I always thought that they don't lift enough colour from very dark hair.
Use the lowest volume that will work for you.

I used 40 vol because I had a permanent colour to lift, very dark natural hair colour and I needed my hair to get as light as possible. (I was dyeing over it with purple)

PerfectDoak said:
10 and 20 will be less damaging, but I always thought that they don't lift enough colour from very dark hair.
Use the lowest volume that will work for you.

I used 40 vol because I had a permanent colour to lift, very dark natural hair colour and I needed my hair to get as light as possible. (I was dyeing over it with purple)
I guess when I color I will try 20v since i have a blue-vlack rinse and giving my previous hairlighten experience

Back