Seeking to be "Used by God"

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
It is considered a very righteous prayer to ask that we be "used by God." Of course we want to be of use to Him. But what should be the guiding desire of our hearts? It should be pure faith and obedience.

When examining Scripture, those whom the Lord used in the greatest ways were not at all seeking such an honor. Beware of this zealous desire to do "great things for God." It can be a subtle self-seeking. The way to being used of God is the way of the Cross. It is brokennes. It is obedience, it is endurance.
Did Abraham seek to be "used by God"? No, he was simply faithful. And he was obedient when what the Lord asked of him conflicted with the desire of his own heart. Did Moses seek to be "used by God"? Initially, yes, he wanted to be the savior of his brethren. And he became murderous in doing so. It was not until 40 years later, having been humbled from prince to shepherd, and finally telling the Lord that he was not capable of the task that the Lord used him. Was Jacob seeking to be used by God. Not at all, Jacob was seeking himself. But encountered God and learned to worship Him. Joseph was a man used in the time of need. But did he arrive there by his own vision? By no means. In fact, his dreams had hindered him, true as they may have been. Samuel, David, Daniel, and other faithful. Was greatness in God's Kingdom something they sought after? No! But the Lord was able to use them because He found in them faithful and obedient hearts.

The great men and women of God were apprehended by Him, not vice versa. And they made themselves worthy of being used by God by first being humbled and learning obedience. Was Rahab commended because she was seeking to prove herself? No, she was commended because she showed faith at the appropriate time. John the Baptist is called the greatest prophet, but how long did his ministry last? He was in the desert eating locusts and honey until the time came that he would make way for the Messiah. Jesus' ministry was only 3 and a half years, and John's was shorter still. Many others are noted in Scripture for only one or two acts of obedience. In one act of obedience--going to the Cross--Jesus redeemed all who would come to Him and irrevocably changed human history. But He waited for the Father's time and was not eager to take that task upon Himself. The length of service is not the important part--it's whether the Lord is in the work. If He is, then a short window of time will be all that He needs to accomplish His purpose.

Spiritual ambition is dangerous because no work is holy unless the idea originates with the Lord. The Lord had awesome plans for Moses, but Moses was simply tending sheep when one day the Lord chose appear to him in the burning bush. Today, we seek out burning bushes; we seek out Goliaths and fiery furnaces to prove our righteousness. But to throw oneself into the flame is not the sacrifice the Lord seeks--for He seeks the sacrifice of obedience. Meaning we act when He tells us to act and not according to our own will--regardless of how good we believe our own will to be. There was a time when I "threw myself into the flame" in a figurative sense. I poured myself into ministry and other "holy" endeavors only to realize that I was spending myself for naught. It was good work. It was Christian work. But the Lord was not the originator of the work. My zeal ran ahead of my obedience.

How many of us avow and affirm our readiness to be used greatly of God, but fail at the testing? This was Peter's dilemma. Having zealously declared his steadfastness in the faith, his unswerving commitment, he reneged on that commitment not once, not twice, but three times. And before that, had actually attempted to disuade Jesus from walking that path that the Father had ordained for Him! Peter desired to do more for the Lord and to testify of his readiness more than he was actually able to carry out the work. The Lord indeed had great plans for Peter, but Peter had to wait to be apprehended by God rather than attempting to lay hold of God himself. The power with which he was imbued came after waiting, for Jesus told Peter and the others to tarry in Jerusalem until they received power on high. Such power could not come by their own zeal, their own effort, cleverness or planning. It could only come at God's behest.

Even at our best, we are like Peter, eager and zealous, but without power. Let us learn to lay aside our own spiritual ambitions and desire to be great in the Lord's Kingdom to simply walk in obedience and faithfulness to Him. If we learn faith and obedience, then when the Lord does call us, we will be ready.

That's one of the most poignant posts I've read on this Forum yet...thanks for sharing it.

Matthew 7:21-23 [Jesus said,] “Not every one that said to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of My Father which is in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? And in Your name have cast out devils? And in Your name done many wonderful works?’ And then will I profess to them, ‘I never knew you: depart from Me, you that work iniquity.’”
The most terrifying passage in Scripture, IMO. I did not understand what ‘iniquity’ Jesus meant since they had done what He wanted, right? I prayed for clarity because there are so many ways to answer it.

I saw this in a quick dream: I was reading on Godlike Production (a secular site) and this sentence came up: Those who strive to follow Me should not use My Name to garner attention. *little blue angry face*

At first, I thought it was a warning to me and repented of it. I did not understand He had answered my question until I read through Psalms, looking for things He taught while in flesh:

Psalm 5:4-5 For You are not a God that has pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with You. The foolish (boastful, proud) shall not stand in Your sight: You hate all workers of iniquity.
The light bulb lit up…LOL! Those people who were working in His Spirit (name, authority) had perverted their gifts for their own glory (money, attention, followers hanging on their every word, etc.). This explains why corrupt churches can do His work for a while, but true believers will be prompted by Him to leave. Ignore at your own peril…

For those who are seeking to be used by Our Father, they must understand one concept repeated throughout the Scriptures—from Hagar to Nebuchadnezzar to Pontius Pilate: everyone, believer or not, is used by God already. Anyone who operates like their spiritual gift makes them more useful than anyone else will learn that that very thing could also destroy them.

Men tend to be impatient when waiting for instruction because they love a challenge. Peter was not trying to force the Lord’s hand or get glory for himself, but to do something, anything, than to wait while His Teacher had to fulfill His task as the Lamb of God. Even in his impatience, Peter got humbled and refined several times. The example he demonstrated to us is to take correction no matter how much it hurts.

When one has laid aside their life to do as Jesus commanded us to do, the only thing left is His will strong in our spirit to advance the Kingdom. We have to be careful not to confuse the spiritually mature and the manifesting of His Power within those who are as ambitious [their fruit (or reward) is in this world, not His Kingdom].

The Apostles called themselves bondservants of Christ. Even many of the people mentioned realized it is all about His will being done and accepted it. Should they have not done so? To become a vessel in which the Holy Spirit can work through is the end result, a mile marker on our narrow walk toward Him.

Maybe the questions we should ponder are what is spiritual maturity and what are the mile markers along the way? I am still trying to learn about that, but all I can do is lean on Him, since each walk is different.

Back