Seeing an X-boyfriend years later

gn1g

I am very happy right now in a very good place in my life.

I ran into, well actually a HS sweetheart from 20+yrs ago and all of the emotions came back, the good and bad. We talked for 2 hours. Near the end of the conversation we were both crying. Very confusing. I don't know what to think.

Has anyone ever had this experience after such a long duration?

Never happened to me but my BFF is dating her HS boyfriend. Another friend of mine just married her HS boyfriend. This makes him husband number 4!

OP are you thinking about a relationship with him?

Im not thinking of rekindling. I am so happy with the guy I am with. He said I tell all of my friends that You were suppose to be my wife. I never even think about the X and all of a sudden WHAM out of no where he is talking about all of these things he remembers and he apologized profusely for the bad time. But I believe he is stuck in that time. He has always tried to contact me but I just kind of ignored him. This time he was very persistant. It was so painful back then that I pushed that stuff down deep and forgot about it. You never know what is lurking in your heart. All of the love, pain, and everything came right to the surface. I forgave him because he was in as much pain today as I was back then. It hurt me to see him like that. The kicker is he is married and I am as happy as I've ever been. Now I don't know what to do with all of these emotions. life is tough sometimes.

Im not thinking of rekindling. I am so happy with the guy I am with. He said I tell all of my friends that You were suppose to be my wife. I never even think about the X and all of a sudden WHAM out of no where he is talking about all of these things he remembers and he apologized profusely for the bad time. But I believe he is stuck in that time. He has always tried to contact me but I just kind of ignored him. This time he was very persistant. It was so painful back then that I pushed that stuff down deep and forgot about it. You never know what is lurking in your heart. All of the love, pain, and everything came right to the surface. I forgave him because he was in as much pain today as I was back then. It hurt me to see him like that. The kicker is he is married and I am as happy as I've ever been. Now I don't know what to do with all of these emotions. life is tough sometimes.

What emotions are you feeling? You don't want to rekindle anything with him. You are happy with the man you are dating. Why not thank the old boyfriend for the apology and continue on without him? Hopefully the apology releases all the guilt he has been feeling and the hurt you have felt.

What emotions are you feeling? You don't want to rekindle anything with him. You are happy with the man you are dating. Why not thank the old boyfriend for the apology and continue on without him? Hopefully the apology releases all the guilt he has been feeling and the hurt you have felt.

I feel everything i felt for him 25 years ago, but it also feels like a type of death. Like a huge hole in my chest. I feel the love, the break, the joy the death of the dreams we had everything. I felt all of those things back then and here they are again. And to add to the situation I love the man I am with. Its just such a shock and a foreign and strange situation. I guess I was first wondering if anyone had been in such a situation and what the outcome was. I am also learning that when you think something is all said and done sometimes its not. Really nothing to do but go somewhere and re-heal my broken heart while being in love.

I am sorry for the pain you are experiencing with these memories that have been brought back. So what is he saying? Is this just an apology or does he still want to be connected to you emotionally while he is married? From what you posted, I would stay far away.

Okay, thanks for the background.

So my advice is...RUN....don't walk away from this situation. Don't even continue talking to him as a friend.

This is very similar to the situation I faced with my ex HS beau. This is not about you or the relationship really. It's about the first bolded. If things went badly and he is mainly to blame for that, he wants to be absolved from feeling guilty. Good for him, it shows he's growing.

But you've forgiven him. He needs to accept that and continue living his life.

Not to mention the second bolded is a recipe for disaster.

If you're happy where you are, you should both give thanks for the opportunity for genuine closure and move on.

Last edited:
I feel everything i felt for him 25 years ago, but it also feels like a type of death. Like a huge hole in my chest. I feel the love, the break, the joy the death of the dreams we had everything. I felt all of those things back then and here they are again. And to add to the situation I love the man I am with. Its just such a shock and a foreign and strange situation. I guess I was first wondering if anyone had been in such a situation and what the outcome was. I am also learning that when you think something is all said and done sometimes its not. Really nothing to do but go somewhere and re-heal my broken heart while being in love.

Wow! *big hug* Sorry you are in such pain over this. Me personally would accept the apology and have nothing more to do with him. He is married. He is your past. Focus on your SO and the good things currently in your life. Please don't let him make you start to wonder about 'what could have been'. You both went down memory lane, which sounded both bitter and sweet, now you need to continue on with your life. IMHO.

This is very interesting. Here is your chance to use this as a tool for official closure. I can understand the part where feelings started flooding back in that you didn't know were there.

Here's your chance to officially close that chapter and really move on.

I also suggest not keeping in touch with him.

Since I don't know yall, I am sure the feelings are much more complicated than I can understand but I feel like the very fact that he is married and crying and walking down memory lane with you says that he hasn't really become much more different than the man that gave you the painful memories. I feel like he's probably shady to his wife, whatever their dynamic is. And I feel like reconnecting with him would steal the happy that you have now--hell, even talking to him for a few hours did that.

It reminds me of an ex that I went through turbulent times with--but cared about. Whenever I wanted to end it he would say, "but we've been through so much. It's been 5 years." And then it would be 6 years, 7 years, etc. Time kept adding up because I was trying to work off of something that wasn't as special as I had hyped it up to be in my head anyway. It was first love and that was great, but...all good things must come to an end. Especially if they kind of suck :look: Even when we see each other now, he has the nerve to feel like we still have some kind of connection because of all those years but what I realized is that all that time is exactly why I can't reconnect with him. I want happy future years, not to hold on to a toxic connection for the sake of preserving or rekindling something familiar.

Your post made me think of that. Please don't talk to him again. I mean, I'm sorry that you are going through these feelings and I don't mean to trivialize them--definitely wish him well if you see him again. But then change your phone number :look:

Last edited:
I ran into my first HS boyfriend about a year ago in the Galleria, and I am happily married. We have had virtual contact before (MySpace/Facebook), and he said that he was supposed to be the one that I married. - but respectfully left it at that. It didn't work out because He was a male slut during our HS years, and I was very morally conservative so....I couldn't see a future with him.
Anyways I had not seen him in person for many years 14 years or so, and was extremely overwhelmed with emotions. I had no idea that I would feel that way. It was as if all of the feelings were still there from when we were dating. It was very difficult to keep my composure, but I knew that I had to remove myself from the situation. He offered to get me a picture of our us in "art group" that he kept in his car, I told him no thanks b/c I had to run. (He also told me that he keeps a large painted portrait of me in his gym/garage(we are visual artists)). So, obviously he has thought of me over the years. This man was my first kiss, boyfriend, and heartbreak - the guy that every girl wanted. Also, a professional fitness competitor (so, body is tight). Basically still looking good, but to see him a man now instead of the boy that I tried so hard to keep working things out with - was very overwhelming. We were always off and on well out of HS, but he was too busy taking advantage of his good looks. We would never officially break it off - I just would distance myself and lose contact.

So, OP I understand the flood of emotions, but this is a trap. He is divorced, but I am married.
I am a Christian, and while some ppl take their morality lightly - I don't. I almost felt compelled to kiss him - as if when we were still together. Like I just had those romantic feelings still there/ like we were never broken up ...it felt natural. So, I knew that it was not a good situation to be in. I hugged him, and left I teared up afterwards b/c I will always have a measure of feelings for him. However, I would never ruin my family for a "fling" or a whim of emotions. I have been through thick and thin with my Hubby, and I have two wonderful children that would be damaged. = not worth it.
If he is married, and considering options with you - what do you think he would do with you??? The same. If he becomes available for reasons that have nothing to do with you - that is different. Don't be "that" woman. It will cheapen you and any type of relationship that would come from it.

Last edited:
Ive never experienced this but, I can imagine it working out for the best. Altho the feelings are there while you were young, the maturity and the wisdom wasn't...Once you all come back together, minus all the immature messiness, those same feelings can grow into a great relationship...

Not after such a long duration and not as complex, but yes, I've had a similar experience.

I was supposedly supposed to be my ex's wife too. He reconnected with me via email some time after our breakup. Up until I saw the email, I was fine. I had moved on with my life. I hadn't even thought about him. But when I saw the email, memories started to re-surface. We then moved to a phone conversation, and before I knew it, all the emotions returned and we were back together again, though short lived. After that second breakup, I knew that I had to not only run, but to be sure to block his email and phone number.

I believe he is the only ex that could ever bring about emotions like that because our relationship was passionate to the nth degree (but not healthy for me). I've encountered previous exes before and have felt nothing.

Like the other ladies have shared, run far from him. I wish you well on your current relationship. :)

LoveLongLocks beat me to it. I also believe it is a test/trap/temptation now that you are happy and were feeling good this pops up to try and steal your joy. Please try to ignore him now.

He's having a virtual emotional affair behind his wife's back. You have the power to make sure it stays it never becomes a reality.

I wish you continued happinessin your current relationship.

LoveLongLocks beat me to it. I also believe it is a test/trap/temptation now that you are happy and were feeling good this pops up to try and steal your joy. Please try to ignore him now.

He's having a virtual emotional affair behind his wife's back. You have the power to make sure it stays it never becomes a reality.

I wish you continued happinessin your current relationship.

Yass! Everything LoveLongLocks said and this in a nutshell.

Ive never experienced this but, I can imagine it working out for the best. Altho the feelings are there while you were young, the maturity and the wisdom wasn't...Once you all come back together, minus all the immature messiness, those same feelings can grow into a great relationship...

Leesh the ex is married.

Pretty Brown Eyes said:
Leesh the ex is married.

Wooooo, I missed that important bit of information...

Now thats tough, to see someone, regurgitate feelings, but theyre married...Phew!!!

All you can do is push those feelings to the back and go on about your life as if it was the day before... :ohwell:

@Babysaffy @InchHighPrivateEye and all the ladies in this thread you all are exactly right. Just a trick/trap to steal my joy. I am SOOOOO much better today and looking ahead! Feeling much better. I learned a lot in those few days. Back in the day my aunt use to say time heals all wounds well now I know that is not true. Time gives you time to forget. I think God allows things to come back up so that he can work with those things, remove blockages so that we can love again unconditionally. Anyway I would say reflection is good just don't fall for the okey-doke.

Love you ladies and thank all of you so muck for all of your advice.

OP, you are just experiencing all of the past emotions that you didnt process at the time. I think it was a spiritual release for both of you. Feel the emotions, let them go and you will find yoursel in good condition.

Good timing! I just left my home country with my SO and his daughter. Found out that my first bf moved back with his wife and child and I wanted to see him. He made it too complicated by mentioning that his wife wouldn't like it etc. While I accepted that, I thought it was silly and heard that others thought so. My SO had his. Rush come by the hotel to visit and it was cool...another time I guess. I wonder if he knew emotions would have come back after 18 years??! I can't even imagine....

I have ....I just used it as a time to get proper closure...ask all the questions I couldn't get answers for years ago...I even got a proper apology
He is the one ex I am truly friends with... We see each other for lunch or dinner about once a year...just to catch up on things that happened in our old home town, goings on with our friends in common....that kinda stuff....and that's it.

This seems to be a pattern with ain't ish dudes. I dated an African immigrant once who married someone else while we were together. I happened to have called him years later in college, and he said the whole " we were supposed to get married " shtick. *** ...even when we rekindled in person, we went out with a bunch of his friends and he paraded me around in front of his friends saying the same thing.

Those feelings never resurfaced though praise the lord.

I have an ex that i wonder about...what feelgs, if any, might come up if we crossd paths again. I have no interest in rekindlg. Its just that there's been no contact since we split so theres a bit of curiosity.

Yessss And it was empowering. I never realized how wack he was until that conversation. It Just cemented it for me.

I keep in touch with his sister on FB because growing up she was having trouble with her sexuality and her family was not particularly helpful so she came to me for comfort.
My ex contacted me. Me enjoying a girl's night so I was feeling myself, full of the spirits. He call me saying he drove his boat by my granny's house and reminiscing, how his wife cheated on him, I remember how he loves sex (gross, ugh, no I don't, that was over 10 years ago), how when he first saw my son, he was so handsome, he thought it was his child (dude) that timeline does not compute. Five years after i had sex with you last.... I had to stop him. He was making a fool of himself. He has stolen money from me at One point. My friends got on the phone on some, "****, Betta have my money," homeboy we know about you, while i was giggling in the back, blasting it lol, saying them Persians about to roll up on him in the White unmarked van and he hung up. I was drunk and being silly. I warned him not to call, but he Just had to get things off his chest.

He wanted the fast life with the fly girls and that is what he got. Then tried to change me to the point he put me down. Granted we were in high school, but it defined me. I do not wish to see what bullspit path he wishes to take me down, trying to keep up with the Joneses. I am good.

I try to avoid my Hs sweetheart. He had my heart for like forever and right before I met my husband I was considering getting back with him. We split, because I was ungrateful and immature. I was only 15 when we met...

Running into him right now would just complicate my life smh

Back