Scarf Method of Air Drying...

ms_kenesha

I was reading a post yesterday, I can't find it now. About airdrying w/ shine. My airdrying medthod I dubbed the "scarf method" and although it's not a BLINGING type shine, it definitely has a sheen and my ends don't end up looking like hot trash, like they do when I airdry loose.

Here is a description: I take a long silky scarf, knot the two ends around your neck, slip the scar back like a headband, all your hair should be covered and the back of the scarf is hanging down resembling the Muslim scarves, take the back of the scarf and twist it and make a bun (if your hair is long it'll be twisted with the scarf) slip two hair clips at the front so it doesn't fall out when I sleep. And pictures illustrating the insturctions: http://public.fotki.com/knwill/techniques/scarf_method_of/

Results w/ 6 wks of newgrowth *flash used*:
BACK
airdriedback-vi.jpg

airdriedtop-vi.jpg

Hmmm...I'm just may try this. Never thought of it. Good idea! Where did you get that scarf from????? I usually airdry my hair using a doo rag to tie it down. The back of it doesn't hang long enough.

I'm gonna def have to try this. Thanks for the info Ms Kenesha! Now, I'm new to the air drying method. Do you wrap your hair after it's completely airdried or before?

I wrap the scarf around it while it's damp. So that it dries in the satin scarf, which helps it to lay down and dry smoother than airdrying loose. :)

rangelicap said:
I'm gonna def have to try this. Thanks for the info Ms Kenesha! Now, I'm new to the air drying method. Do you wrap your hair after it's completely airdried or before?

I'm so used to tying my hair down every night to keep my hair flat. I've never done it your way though, and I probably have to get a scarf that length for it to work. Thanks for sharing.

ms_kenesha said:
I wrap the scarf around it while it's damp. So that it dries in the satin scarf, which helps it to lay down and dry smoother than airdrying loose. :)

Thanks! I hate using flat irons and the blowdryer so much, I can't wait to see how my hair turns out using this method!

Hi Ms_Kenesha! This is how I airdry my hair all the time! Also, I have that exact scarf, but I prefer to use another one by Satin Nites that fits my head better. I got them both from Wal-Mart for about $1.00.

Last edited:
I have this exact scarf (in black) which I use to tie down my hair after it has airdried. It nice and very large. Southern Girl described her technique in another thread of wearing this scarf to airdry, hers was a little different.
I love hers and your technique also.

My question is, how does it smooth the hair underneath? I can see how the outside hair gets smooth as it dries but what about all of the hair under?

ms_kenesha said:
I just got it from a BSS, this is a pic
texasbeautysupplycom_1819_18379261

but you can get it here, http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/crsanilasqsa.html

ms_kenesha said:
I was reading a post yesterday, I can't find it now. About airdrying w/ shine. My airdrying medthod I dubbed the "scarf method" and although it's not a BLINGING type shine, it definitely has a sheen and my ends don't end up looking like hot trash, like they do when I airdry loose.

Here is a description: I take a long silky scarf, knot the two ends around your neck, slip the scar back like a headband, all your hair should be covered and the back of the scarf is hanging down resembling the Muslim scarves, take the back of the scarf and twist it and make a bun (if your hair is long it'll be twisted with the scarf) slip two hair clips at the front so it doesn't fall out when I sleep. And pictures illustrating the insturctions: http://public.fotki.com/knwill/techniques/scarf_method_of/

Results w/ 6 wks of newgrowth *flash used*:
Sounds like a good idea Ms Kenesha. Now, since I am wearing a black scarf everyday I will try this tomorrow once I wash and condition my hair, that way I won't have to use the hair dryer as I usually do.;)

I did this last night for the first time without reading this post and I just love it. I have always air dried my hair without tieing it with a silk or satin scarf but yesterday I washed my hair in the night close to my bedtime and I was lazy to wait to airdry my hair before I went to sleep so I just covered my hair with my satin scarf after putting in my leave in conditioner, olive oil, moisturizer and activator and I went straight to bed. This morning I was very impressed with the results. :)

Hey MsK,

Your hair came out great! I'll have to try this. When I add a scarf, usually my hair is out in the back and it never has a lot of sheen.

Thanks for the tip! :)
SG

Back