Ponytail Method Works

fancypants007

I rollerset my hair yesterday using the ponytail method and it worked in helping to straighten my hair. I usually airdry and when I wear protective styles and I take my hair down my hair is sooooo unmanageable because it has crooks and bends from my protective style and it feels sooo dry. I applied avocado butter but it only made my hair oily. I was not liking my hair very much so I decided last night to do a conditioner wash using VO5 kiwi and lime to clarify, deep conditioned and proceeded to style. I sprayed my hair with Mane n Tail Detangling spray and it was soooo easy to detangle. I have to pause and say that I've been using the SAA in my conditioners and it is the best ever. My hair rarely sheds, and the hair that came out was very little. Well getting back to my story, after detangling my hair in sections, I added NTM leave in to my hair and then added some jojobo oil concentrating on my hair ends. I put my hair in about 5 ponytails. ( I would have put more ponytails, but I didn't have anymore silk scrunchies). I used BBD Curling cream on my ponytail and proceeded to roll each one. I tied a silk scarf around my rollers and put on my silk scarf and went to bed. When I took out the rollers, my hair was hanging very nicely with a slight curl. It was still a little damp but that was OK. I gently combed it out and it was so silky and straight. I put my hair in a bun with my hair accessory. I am impressed! This is what I will start doing instead of airdrying my hair in plaits. My hair feels sooooo soft and when I touch it there is no grease on my hands. The true test will be tonight when I take down my bun to see if my hair has the crooks and bends that I tend to get when I wear my hair in protective styles. But I'm liking my hair again. It feels soo soft and I'm happy that it worked for me. I want to send a thank you to Lonei who introduced this method of rollersetting, and Isis who like me has texlaxed hair and is using this method as well.

I've recently tried this method and i love it! I rollerset like six ponytails but i added a twist. Aferwards i comb it into one big ponytail and wear it like that. I don't like the idea of making one big ponytail then rollerset each strand. This may seem odd but it works for me. It makes better curl definition, imo.

I've recently tried this method and i love it! I rollerset like six ponytails but i added a twist. Aferwards i comb it into one big ponytail and wear it like that. I don't like the idea of making one big ponytail then rollerset each strand. This may seem odd but it works for me. It makes better curl definition, imo.

do u airdry this or sit under the dryer? (anybody can answer tho)
I wanna know b/c my last 2 washes I did this, but sat under the dryer. Its a time saver, but I really hate having those wet spots from where my ponytail holder is. I guess the heat isn't penetrating thru and its leaving those spots wet. any suggestions? and don't say sit under the dryer longer, cuz i did that and felt like my head was frying cuz i was already under there for a while

Im really lazy and also slow at rollersetting,etc...so ponytail rollersetting was a hit for me. I would just part it down the middle, make 6 ponytails with ouchless bands, and put 1 to 3 rollers on each ponytail (depending on whether Im wearing it curly or straight and the size of the rollers I use). Then I sit under the dryer. I dont put the ponytail holder on too tight, and after about 20 or 30 minutes I try to slide it down a little so the spot where the holder is can get dry too. The results come out just the same as a regular rollerset, especially if u are doing a rollerset and silk wrap.

Can this method be used on hair that is SL or a little shorter or do you need length to do it?? I'm afraid that with my short hair I wont be able to pull it off :nono:

I rollerset my hair yesterday using the ponytail method and it worked in helping to straighten my hair. I usually airdry and when I wear protective styles and I take my hair down my hair is sooooo unmanageable because it has crooks and bends from my protective style and it feels sooo dry. I applied avocado butter but it only made my hair oily. I was not liking my hair very much so I decided last night to do a conditioner wash using VO5 kiwi and lime to clarify, deep conditioned and proceeded to style. I sprayed my hair with Mane n Tail Detangling spray and it was soooo easy to detangle. I have to pause and say that I've been using the SAA in my conditioners and it is the best ever. My hair rarely sheds, and the hair that came out was very little. Well getting back to my story, after detangling my hair in sections, I added NTM leave in to my hair and then added some jojobo oil concentrating on my hair ends. I put my hair in about 5 ponytails. ( I would have put more ponytails, but I didn't have anymore silk scrunchies). I used BBD Curling cream on my ponytail and proceeded to roll each one. I tied a silk scarf around my rollers and put on my silk scarf and went to bed. When I took out the rollers, my hair was hanging very nicely with a slight curl. It was still a little damp but that was OK. I gently combed it out and it was so silky and straight. I put my hair in a bun with my hair accessory. I am impressed! This is what I will start doing instead of airdrying my hair in plaits. My hair feels sooooo soft and when I touch it there is no grease on my hands. The true test will be tonight when I take down my bun to see if my hair has the crooks and bends that I tend to get when I wear my hair in protective styles. But I'm liking my hair again. It feels soo soft and I'm happy that it worked for me. I want to send a thank you to Lonei who introduced this method of rollersetting, and Isis who like me has texlaxed hair and is using this method as well.

You're so welcome Fancypants! I'm happy this worked for you. :yep: This was introduced to the board by Pandora back in 2002 (her new name is "Integrity") and when I first joined in 2003, I learned this method from her and used it until last year when I learned Macherieamour and Silver2's methods. Ponytail rollersetting is soooo easy and works very well. :yep:

I wanna know b/c my last 2 washes I did this, but sat under the dryer. Its a time saver, but I really hate having those wet spots from where my ponytail holder is. I guess the heat isn't penetrating thru and its leaving those spots wet. any suggestions? and don't say sit under the dryer longer, cuz i did that and felt like my head was frying cuz i was already under there for a while

Nope, i do this on dry hair. Well i moisturize ech section before i rollerset it. Then i tie my hair up for the night. Regarding your problem maybe half way thru drying you should loosen the ponytail up so more strands can dry. HTH. Or what i was gonna say is eliminate the holder altogether but that's a reg rollerset, lol.

Last edited:
For those who do it on wet hair, how do you avoid waving up at the roots, or is it just inevitable? I think I'll try it w/6 ponies this time because last time I did one big one and it was a big wavy, poofy mess and after 2 hours, the middle was still extremely wet. Talk about somebody irked...

awwwww my mom used to do this on my hair when i was a little girl! :grin: and even when i was in jr. high/high school i'd do it when i had NG and needed to pull it straight. i was the queen of rollersets back then...

dang y'all are really gonna make me break down and buy those daggone Curlformers... :lachen:

let us know how it goes.

Well after taking my hair down last night, my hair did not have the usual crooks and bends in it. I applied more NTM and jojoba oil to my ends and this time I wrapped it into a bun with my ends tucked away, put on silk scarf and silk cap and went to bed. This morning when I took down, there was some bends but not sooo bad. I applied a little more NTM and jojoba oil and styled in my bun. I am liking this method. What took me soooo long. My hair is sooo soft and straight. I was using oil in my hair in trying a different method of keeping my hair moisturised but to be perfectly honest, I did not like the greasy feel. I'm learning that the only thing I need is NTM silken leave in conditioner and my jojoba oil. I'm echoing my original post earlier, the ponytail method really does work in getting your hair straight!

I let my hair airdry. The main thing I was trying to achieve was getting my hair not to have the crooks and bends in it when I wore protective styles which leads to breakage and dryness. With this method, my hair gets a little straight which makes my hair more manageable and the moisturisers seem to penetrate better into my hair. I am very happy with this method.

Can this method be used on hair that is SL or a little shorter or do you need length to do it?? I'm afraid that with my short hair I wont be able to pull it off :nono:

Just use smaller rollers. If you use ouchless bands or any other kind of hair band, soak them first in olive oil and then put in your hair to make ponytails, but don't make your ponytails tight and then proceed to roll your hair. If you are wearing your hair down, you may need to flat iron your hair where the band was.

For those who do it on wet hair, how do you avoid waving up at the roots, or is it just inevitable? I think I'll try it w/6 ponies this time because last time I did one big one and it was a big wavy, poofy mess and after 2 hours, the middle was still extremely wet. Talk about somebody irked...

I did not have wavying up at the roots or poufiness. Try it with more ponytails to see if this solves the problem.

Hmmm... I'm to paranoid to do this.
I don't like the idea of ponytail holders...
I'm transitioning... so they might break my hair
off at line of demarcation...
I was actually going to try something similar but
less damaging tonight... I'll keep ya'll posted.

Back