Scared of the curling iron

Radianthealth

I would like to wear my hair down, but I am extremely afraid of the curling iron. I haven't used a curling iron to style my hair in at least 3 years:eek:

I have had it curled at the salon but I immediately came home and put moisturizer in it and pulled it back.

I would love to wear my hair out for Thanksgiving at my inlaws and I think I might use a curling iron to style my hair, but I am afraid of the damage, and I want to at least do a test run of the style but I don't want to damage my hair too much.

I want neat curls like the ones I see on this site and rollersetting, wrapping, or caruso curls have not given me the sleek results that I would love.

Any suggestions???

Well here I am a natural scared of heat but I don't see any harm in you test-driving a style and then wearing your hair out on Thanksgiving. If you used the curling iron (carefully and with protection) a few times between now and Thanksgiving I bet it wouldn't cause any harm and it would do a lot for your spirit, you'll feel so pretty and get so many compliments, and you'll get it out of your system for awhile.

I too am scuurreed of the curling iron. I got a lot of nerves to be scared when I use to use them all the time but I think I am scared because that's how my hair was damaged in the first place but now there are so many heat protectants you can use on your hair(and I have many) that I feel safe to flat iron sometimes. Personally, when I flat iron my hair for a special event. I immediately come home and deep condition my hair....I mean I literally walk through the door and hit the shower to Deep condition and then I bun it right back up.....:)

I'm scared, too! I can't even LOOK at my mom's flat iron and curling iron. It's mostly because my hair has been AMAZING without heat, and it's only been 2 months! You can try it, I don't think your hair will be harmed if you only use it sparingly.

I use to be scared until I bought a Sedu. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as your hair is clean before you curl, you use so sort of protective heat agent, and a serum. Also using heat once every few months is not bad, it's the constant heat to hair action that you have to look out for- be careful because it can get addictive- I used my sedu at least 3 times last week :eek::eek::eek:. HTH

Profectiv has an awesome product you can use to protect from heat styling I think it's the one that says healthy ends and it is pink. Back in the day I used it when I was on the curl my hair everyday kick and it was the only thing that allowed my hair to never break off ever. So you know if you curl every once in a while you straight.

I have been afraid of the curling iron after this horrible experience. I was in another country and somehow the curling iron got incredibly hot without me knowing it (something to do with the wattage of electricity I guess) Well to make a long story short, it literally burned and melted my hair like plastic!!!

Now I know that is not going to happen here but it took me a while to get over that fear. Right now I use a ceramic curling iron and I used a good heat proctector by Keracare. I have no problems and my hair does not seem to be suffering from any damage.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Oh my gush- I am so sorry I understand your pain...
glossyxlipz said:
I have been afraid of the curling iron after this horrible experience. I was in another country and somehow the curling iron got incredibly hot without me knowing it (something to do with the wattage of electricity I guess) Well to make a long story short, it literally burned and melted my hair like plastic!!!

Now I know that is not going to happen here but it took me a while to get over that fear. Right now I use a ceramic curling iron and I used a good heat proctector by Keracare. I have no problems and my hair does not seem to be suffering from any damage.

determined_to_grow said:
I use to be scared until I bought a Sedu. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as your hair is clean before you curl, you use so sort of protective heat agent, and a serum. Also using heat once every few months is not bad, it's the constant heat to hair action that you have to look out for- be careful because it can get addictive- I used my sedu at least 3 times last week :eek::eek::eek:. HTH
Yep, I agree ;)

Back