Scared of new growth..Stretchers Help!

SimpleKomplexity

I'll be 9 weeks on Friday, and I just can't seem to deal with my new growth!! I haven't cowashed in 5 days because I dunno how my hair will turn out when I wash it. It's very soft and manageable right now since I flat ironed it. How do you stretchers deal with tangled new growth?:perplexed

How long are you conditioning and with what? Deep conditioning with a true moisturizing conditioner for atleast 20 minutes should help.

Usually I conditon with ORS Replenishing Pak or Humecto. Occasionally I use Cantu Conditioner, but it says it is a Rinse Out Conditioner so I don't think it will be enough for my strands right now.

The longest i have stretched for is 6 months. I have tough 4b hair so trust it is poss.

i used my fingers to detangle my hair, wide toothed comb and lots of DC.
I used braids and protective styles after 3 months...

I stretch anywhere up to 12 weeks and I keep my hair bun for most of that time. I make sure to keep my newgrowth moisturized b/c my hair soak up a lot of moisture during that time. When I deep condition I also add oil and sit under the dryer, I also leave the conditioner in for longer than I normally would.

I stretch for 9 weeks and my NG starts getting tough around week 6. When I rollerset I have to make sure my hair is dripping wet. And how taut you pull the rollers is important too.

When I wear my phony pony, I use aloe vera gel and a moisturizer with some afro sheen in it. that helps alot.

Co-washing is a must when I'm a month post, that's the only thing that keeps moisture in it without having to use a ton of pore-clogging products.

You probably have to change your mindset about your NG too. It's not gonna be super soft and straight, but it can be manageable.

Here's my four tips for Girls-On-The-Go who stretch:

• Invest in a good deep conditioner. It must have equal amounts of protein and moisture. You'll know the right one from how it makes your hair feel.
  • Invest in a good detangling lotion/moisturizer.
  • It can be cheap or expensive. My pick: AB Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Lotion, Qhemet Coconut Detangler, Profectiv and Elasta QP.
  • Invest in detangling spray. Mine must be organic, and shea or water based. If you have a good moisturizer that works wonders on wet hair then just throw into a bottle and spray.
  • Find a protective style and stick with it. The less you think about straight hair, the better.

Take a look at my avi pic.

Imagine straight hair attached to that and trying to detangle.

Thats why i couldn't transition - had to BC - and why i can't stretch for more than 10 weeks.

Its break city in my head if i do. No amount of deep conditioning or detangling lotion would help.

It all depends on your natural hair type.

I am new to strecthing. I used to get a relaxer every 5 to 6 weeks. The first time I strecthed I went to 8 weeks. This time I'm going into week nine and my ng is really thick. I co-wash every 2 to 3 days. I deep condition, rinse put in a leave-in conditioner and put Paul Mitchells super skinny serum on my hair. I often wear a phony ponny with a baggy ( I put coconut oil on my ends) I tie my hair with a silky scarf and after about twenty minutes or so, I have shinny wavy looking hair. I use stay soft fro (or something like that), on my new growth once a day.

I also did a braid out for the first time. I let my hair dry in box braids. I put coconut oil on the ends before they dried and my hair came out great (shiny).:yep: My roots were still thick but they went well with my wavy crinkles. I do have to comb slower and take a little more time detangling. Oh yeah, I only comb my hair wet when I have thick ng.

Girl.. Im 20 weeks. Im no longer afraid.. HE LTR to the rescue and Salerm. Roller setting for the stylist was a breeze.

Back