Scared About Relaxing But I'm Going To Do It Anyway. Advice?

ForestRose

So after several fail PS attempts. Last one wast jumbo/havana twists in which the hair kept on unravelling. I've given up on PS with extensions now. Although it would be easier to pay someone I can't get out of the mentality that I'm paying someone A LOT for a hairstyle I won't keep in for that long.

I'm natural with mainly 4c hair and right now I want to texturize. I want to keep quite a curl but just make my hair more managable without it tangling all the time. Being able to do WnGs will be useful too.

Does anyone have any advice? My previous experience with relaxers when I was younger was horrible. I have a feeling that the hairstylist was over processing my hair. I plan on using the just for me texture softener and because its a virgin relaxer I am paying a sylist. For my touch up I will do it myself.

What can I do to feel more confident about my texturizer?

To feel more confident make sure you're making the right decision! Its definitely a good thing that you're going to a stylist for your relaxer and just be honest with her (or him) about what you want and your hair goals.

To feel more confident make sure you're making the right decision! Its definitely a good thing that you're going to a stylist for your relaxer and just be honest with her (or him) about what you want and your hair goals.
Thank you. I definitely feel it's the right decision to progress in my hair journey. I guess my experience with relaxers burning scalp and because my hair is fragile is making be a little nervous. I have no clue about how to look after relaxed hair. I know it changes the porosity.

Thank you. I definitely feel it's the right decision to progress in my hair journey. I guess my experience with relaxers burning scalp and because my hair is fragile is making be a little nervous. I have no clue about how to look after relaxed hair. I know it changes the porosity.
Get a consultation first.Some stylists charge a bit for it but it's worth it to make sure you are on the same page. many of us relaxed heads swear by a mid step protein treatment before neutralizing, read on that and decide if you would like it for yourself. Try to minimize heat after the relaxer. And here's the relaxed hair thread, we can help you there :) https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/relaxed-hair-thread.524429/page-328

Get a consultation first.Some stylists charge a bit for it but it's worth it to make sure you are on the same page. many of us relaxed heads swear by a mid step protein treatment before neutralizing, read on that and decide if you would like it for yourself. Try to minimize heat after the relaxer. And here's the relaxed hair thread, we can help you there :) https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/relaxed-hair-thread.524429/page-328
Thank you. I'm definitely gonna pay more for a consultation.

@xxlalaxx
I use the Just For Me texture softener (they also have a relaxer product) and I really like it. It might help to check out some YTers who self texturize even though you're using a stylist for your virgin application. It helps to see an actual visual of the process. Don't be scared just be informed.

I would read the instructions inside the box a few times and get familiar with the timing chart and hair texture guide. This will help you nail down exactly how long to process the hair (and stick to it).

It comes with 1 oz of sunflower oil and I pour the entire bottle into the relaxer cream. I cover my hair shaft and ends with protein conditioner bc I am a fine haired 4b texture. I also do the mid protein step before neutralizing. For my next TU, I'm thinking about puting castor oil on my hair shaft and ends before putting on the protein. My hair needs a lot of protein bc its highly porous. You may need to do only one of those steps depending on the health and texture of your hair.

Good luck and keep us posted.

@xxlalaxx
I use the Just For Me texture softener (they also have a relaxer product) and I really like it. It might help to check out some YTers who self texturize even though you're using a stylist for your virgin application. It helps to see an actual visual of the process. Don't be scared just be informed.

I would read the instructions inside the box a few times and get familiar with the timing chart and hair texture guide. This will help you nail down exactly how long to process the hair (and stick to it).

It comes with 1 oz of sunflower oil and I pour the entire bottle into the relaxer cream. I cover my hair shaft and ends with protein conditioner bc I am a fine haired 4b texture. I also do the mid protein step before neutralizing. For my next TU, I'm thinking about puting castor oil on my hair shaft and ends before putting on the protein. My hair needs a lot of protein bc its highly porous. You may need to do only one of those steps depending on the health and texture of your hair.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Is neutralising the shampoo that they provide you with?
What exactly is the neutraliser. Or do you shampoo the texturiser out then put the protein in then neutralise?

Is neutralising the shampoo that they provide you with?
What exactly is the neutraliser. Or do you shampoo the texturiser out then put the protein in then neutralise?

Yes, that shampoo is a neutralizer. It stops the chemical process. So even after you rinse your hair of the relaxer, the chemicals are still working until you neutralize several times. You have to use it first bc a regular shampoo wont stop the process. You dont really need a regular poo on relaxer day.

I do the protein before the neutralizer bc the cuticles are still open and I can infuse them with protein before closing them with the neutralizer. The protein is optional. You could just rinse the relaxer and go right to neutralizing.

Back