Satin Pillowcase alternative

victomae

Just a little FYI for people on a tight budget, like myself... I found satin pillow covers at Bed, Bath & Beyond. They are $3.99 and work just like a satin pillowcase would.

Thanks! I have been looking for something like that.

So they just cover part of the pillow?

I bought some very nice vintage nylon and satin pillow case on Ebay, but I wanted something like a cover for travel!

I will check them out!

It completely covers a standard sized pillow. It has a zipper, so all you do is slip your pillow in and zip it up.

victomae said:
It completely covers a standard sized pillow. It has a zipper, so all you do is slip your pillow in and zip it up.

Oh, ok. I was thinking it was just a cover for the top of the pillow. That is what I want. I was thinking of buying some satin fabric and asking my mom to sew one for me. It should be pretty easy.

Thanks! I wish I wouldve known this b4 i threw away their coupon for 20% off any item in the store. Hopefully they'll have some more coupons in the Sundays paper

ETA: yes i am cheap and i will be waiting patiently until i find another 20% off coupon b4 i go buy my satin pillowcase

HoneyDew said:
Oh, ok. I was thinking it was just a cover for the top of the pillow. That is what I want. I was thinking of buying some satin fabric and asking my mom to sew one for me. It should be pretty easy.

This is exactly what i did, i couldnt find satin/silk pillowcases anywhere and when i did they were just too much money. Buying the fabric turned out to be much cheaper and just as effective :)

Thanks for posting! I may just make my own satin pillowcase though, which ever way is cheaper. I never even thought about making my own pillowcase. Thanks HoneyDew for the idea!

ok, I made 3 satin pillowcases today and I am about to go to bed and I am looking at theses things and going thru withdrawals (from my bonnet no doubt). Is it really alright to sleep on these things with nothing on my head? Will it make my twists frizzy? Now is a fine time for me to be asking, huh? :lol:

LOL! I was just reading a post from a natural who said that she saw an improvement in her hair once she stopped wearing her bonnet & used the pillowcase instead.
I hope that I can find some silk/satin fabric...
naturallady said:
ok, I made 3 satin pillowcases today and I am about to go to bed and I am looking at theses things and going thru withdrawals (from my bonnet no doubt). Is it really alright to sleep on these things with nothing on my head? Will it make my twists frizzy? Now is a fine time for me to be asking, huh? :lol:

MeccaMedinah said:
LOL! I was just reading a post from a natural who said that she saw an improvement in her hair once she stopped wearing her bonnet & used the pillowcase instead.
I hope that I can find some silk/satin fabric...
Thanks for posting so fast cuz I am about to fall outta this chair!!!! Night night!

Wow, I thought those things were common. I get mine for 99 cents at a store in my neighborhood (Jamaica Ave for those familiar with the neighborhood). I just bought 10 cases two days ago. If any of you have a local store that sells household goods, bed sheets, towels, etc. Dont neglect to look. Those satin cases might just be there. When I found the mine, I just happened upon that store. I was shocked because I thought that satin cases were a special buy in some special place....

eta: mine are the ones with the zipper, which is fine with me...

naturallady said:

Naturallady, do mind telling me how much it cost you to make your pillow cases? I got a sewing machine for Christmas and making some of these might be an easy first project for me.

marie170 said:
Naturallady, do mind telling me how much it cost you to make your pillow cases? I got a sewing machine for Christmas and making some of these might be an easy first project for me.

I bought a little over a yard and a half and I paid $11 and some change. I got 3 standard size pillowcases out of them. It took about 15 min to do and that included cutting the fabric.

naturallady said:
I bought a little over a yard and a half and I paid $11 and some change. I got 3 standard size pillowcases out of them. It took about 15 min to do and that included cutting the fabric.

Thanks for the info!

Back