Saran Wrapping--Flat Iron Users

A.Marie

A friend of mine just got her hair flat ironed and it looks so good. Her hair is swinging and just looks phenomenal. The lady she went to is in Charlotte from California and uses the saran wrap process, something they do on the west coast. Does anyone know what that's all about?

Yeah, after hair is either taken off rollers, or flat ironed, the hair is then wrapped with a layer of plastic wrap and then you sit back under the dryer for 10-20minutes....it takes the bulk out of the hair, makes it silky, and gives a lot of movement...the things is no one knows how the saran wrap does it! It's basically like magic!

I do silk wraps (as we call them here) after my flat iron's to take some of the bulk out and smooth it out.

Yeah, after hair is either taken off rollers, or flat ironed, the hair is then wrapped with a layer of plastic wrap and then you sit back under the dryer for 10-20minutes....it takes the bulk out of the hair, makes it silky, and gives a lot of movement...the things is no one knows how the saran wrap does it! It's basically like magic!

I do silk wraps (as we call them here) after my flat iron's to take some of the bulk out and smooth it out.

Thanks! I am trying this the next time I shampoo my hair. I want more movement. :lachen:

Hi there

I do the saran wrap treatment every week. I can't remember the last time I used a flat iron on my hair.

If you go to www.healthytextures.com and click on tutorials you will see the saran wrap treatment done by Macherie.

Actually IMO the saran wrap treatment makes my hair silky and smooth better than the flat iron. HTH :yep:

I wish I could do this. I Sweat in my head - so it renders my flat Ironing useless......

I am a natural - So the relaxed girls here have better luck - I am sure.

I do silk wraps too and it is like magic. I'm amazed everytime. Sometimes when I take down my hair from the rollers it's really frizzy and big....I mean big, lol. When I take it down from the silk wrap it's always silky straight.....such a magical moment:lachen:.

I have to give this a shot again.. :yep:

For those of you who use this technique, are you flat ironing/blow drying your roots first? If not, what do you use to brush/comb your hair into a wrap?

Really? I actually like the bulk that rollersetting gives me and I thought everybody else did too:look:. So I guess I'll pass on this saran wrap treatment.

Really? I actually like the bulk that rollersetting gives me and I thought everybody else did too:look:. So I guess I'll pass on this saran wrap treatment.
I think the "bulk" kinda depends on how many weeks post you are/how dense your hair is. 1-6 weeks post, the bulk could prolly be considered "volume". :lol: But after you get so much newgrowth, then it's a bit different.

Rollersets are cool....I just use this as a way to straighten my hair w/o using direct heat. When I want a straight look this is a more healthy way to doit.

After I flat iron my hair, I like to do the Saran Wrap technique. My hair is pretty thick, so it definitely works well for me. It's great at taking the bulk out. :yep:

I first learned about this from Pokahontas' fotki tutorial, and then shortly after from macherieamour's video tut.

But I had no idea I could do a silk wrap after a flat-iron, I thought it was only after rollersets. I'm gonna try it after my next flat-iron.

However, question for ya ladies who know better. Is this as effective when you're far into a stretch? I'll be 21 weeks next time I wash and flat iron.

The last few times I've tried this, I was sweating the saran wrap off my head basically, lol. Is there a trick to this? I want to get this down.

I'd like to know just how the saran wrap stays and is there a certain way to put it on? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question but I tried it and it wouldn't stay put.

I'm gonna try the saran wrap thing on Sunday. Great post! ETA Reg's Wife, I like the net over the saran wrap idea. I'll try it that way. Thanks

Last edited:
I'd like to know just how the saran wrap stays and is there a certain way to put it on? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question but I tried it and it wouldn't stay put.
Just wrap it around the wrap in a circle (1 layer). The saran sticks together so it holds on it's own. You should have a open circle in the top so you will need to fold this down or add another small piece of saran wrap to close it. Once you turn the heat on the saran shrinks tighter down around your head.

I only stay under the dryer about 10 minutes, after that I would start to sweat. How long are you all under the dryer in saran wrap?

I do this all the time because my hair is so thick when i rollerset. The trick is to do a REALLY thin layer of saran wrap. One layer, usually it sticks on itself. Then only stay under the dryer for like 10 minutes, no longer. The picture in my siggy is how it looks afterwards.

i dont like using the dryer for this....my hair ends up more dry. So i use my heated conditioning cap when i do the saran. Its closer to the head and its so much better for me Imo. I just spray a very little bit of aubrey o camelia conditioning spray before i wrap it with saran. The spray & heat from the cap gives me added moisture....oh yes i do the saran after a flat iron

i use the saran wrap technique well my beautician does and 10 minutes is way too long according to my beautician u only need 3-5 minutes and i have long hair to the mid of my back and thick, she said it you stay under longer it will dry out you take the saran wrap of as soon as you get from under the dryer and comb it down you har should be silky and full of body!

Back