Salon Tipping

henrilou

What do you all tip your reg. stylist?? I get a wash/press for $40 and I tip $5. Am I cheap?? If I get a trim (3-4 times/year,) I still tip $5. I had a weave and I tipped $15, but generally, it's $5.
What do you do??

I've only gone to a salon about 3 or 4 times in my life, the main reason for that is I don't like tipping.

I do believe a $2.00 to $5.00 tip is good enough for any service and I would not tip over those amounts unless they did something spectacular for you or, they went an extra mile and threw in something free....like a deep conditioner. Salons seem to charge for everything, that's why I don't like to tip.

tip?...tip? awww a tip?, i never heard of one of them. Nah seriously that nevr came to mind no ones ever tipped my stylist, i never have. Nore do i intend to. It's never crossed me mind b4....

Well, when I get a relaxer touchup, I tip my stylist $5.00 and I also give the girl who shampoos and/or sets my hair $2.00. I don't know if that's considered cheap or not, but hell, if I'm paying them $78.50 for a touchup, that ought to include the tip anyway!!
smile.gif

I rarely tip my stylist; however, when I do, its like $25. I always buy her a nice x-mas and birthday gift. HTH

I always wondered what other people did. I know that my sister does not tip her stylist, but she really does not like the way she does her hair...
crazy.gif

My wash/condition/press costs $40, and I usually tip him $5. When he does a really good job or squeezes me in at the last minute (anything above and beyond), I tip $10. When I get my hair braided, i usually tip $10 regardless of the price.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you all tip your reg. stylist?? I get a wash/press for $40 and I tip $5. Am I cheap?? If I get a trim (3-4 times/year,) I still tip $5. I had a weave and I tipped $15, but generally, it's $5.
What do you do??

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing...no more than $5. I mean think about it, she ought to be glad she is getting that...the money goes straight in her pocket anyway. But I will say this, my old stylist started working at the spa/salon and they got paid hourly. So she wasn't making nearly as much off of me as she was when I use to get my hair done at her old shop. I use to go EVERY Wednesay faithfully and she'd only charge me $25 for whatever I got done...just because I was loyal. But when she got to this spa/salon, the prices were set and it didn't go in her pocket...kind of like a commission deal. I'd pay the salon $40 to get my hair done and she'd get like $5 off of me. So I quit going and eventually she quit working there. $5 is enough...but if it's not a good job, I don't give them anything.

Thanks. I have a friend (caucasion, if that matters) but she goes to a salon and there is actually a sign..."GENERAL RULE of TIPS--20%"
I was kind of shocked at this and asked if she really tipped 20% everytime she went. She actually said yes--and made me feel kinda cheap. Maybe we're in two different worlds, because I couldn't bring myself to tip $8 for a wash/press. Plus, my stylist is really, really good, but she doesn't do ANYTHING extra.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I have a friend (caucasion, if that matters) but she goes to a salon and there is actually a sign..."GENERAL RULE of TIPS--20%"
I was kind of shocked at this and asked if she really tipped 20% everytime she went. She actually said yes--and made me feel kinda cheap. Maybe we're in two different worlds, because I couldn't bring myself to tip $8 for a wash/press. Plus, my stylist is really, really good, but she doesn't do ANYTHING extra.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to admit, when I was in college, this guy use to to my hair and I must say it was the longest it had ever been in my life, but anyway, he would charge $20 for all of his services. He had all of the college girls breaking their neck to get into his salon because he did such a good job and at such a cheap price. Anyway, I use to give him and extra $10 when he would color, cut or perm my hair. My hair just looked so good, I had to let him know I was very appreciative of his services...didn't hurt that he was fine either
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the sign's purpose to remind people to tip? IMO, its tacky.

If I consider the origin/meaning of TIP==> "To Insure Promptness" or "To Insure Prompt" service-- then I find it a bit presumptuous to assume that the customer is going to automatically give you a TIP, especially if you have not even rendered services yet and then have the audacity to remind me???!!

On two separate occassions while travelling abroad people have DEMANDED tips from me. Fortunately, I have not had this experience at home cause I would probably show my tail. But now that I think about it, many industries are notorious for tacking a gratuity onto their final invoice. I have a friend who recently got married and she paid a 15% gratuity to the waitstaff where she held her reception. I wonder if the waitstaff actually received any of that money, or is that another way for hospitality industry to line their pockets? (Okay, I am rambling now.)
drunk.gif

Slightly o/t but elliot, once I went to a car wash with one of my friends. At the car wash, there's guys who hand dry your car with towels and at the both the entrance and exit there's a container for tips. Tell me why one of these workers had the audacity to say to my friend, "Ain't gonna give me no tip?" and the damn car ain't even get wet yet! I couldn't believe the boldness.

Jazzy-

Now why you get me started on tip jars?

A tip jar in Starbucks--yes. 7-Eleven--no. I have actually seen tip jars in 7-Eleven! Now what's that all about? I'm surprised that I have not seen them in Walmart all up under the cashiers.

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to offend anyone whose economic livelihood depends on tips. I just had to vent a little bit about some of the uncontested practices surrounding tips and gratuities.

Elliot

Generally I tip my stylist anywhere between $5-$10. I know this seems like alot but Cynthia can work some magic on my hair. She'll wash, deep condition, do a hot oil treatment, clip my ends (reasonably and only when needed) and style my hair however i want for $25. An added bonus is that she uses some of my fav products like CoN shampoo, Keracare Humecto, etc. IMO, its a tip well deserved!

When I used to go to a stylist, I would always tip 20% for shampoo and sets and for a relaxer touch-up 25%. For my trims from my barber now, he charges me $15 and I tip him $15. I love my barber
grin.gif

Henrilou, I think one of the key things here is that you said your REGULAR stylist. Assuming he/she is good and you have been frequenting for at least 1 year, a solid gratuity is in order!!!!

~Jade~

Jade, you're killing me!!! You tip $15 bucks for a $15 service??? But I get the feeling from the rest that I am kinda cheap on the tip. But on the other hand, if my stylist charged $25 AND used my fav. products, I'd probably tip 10 too, b/c I'd know what a deal I was getting. This is def. not the case for me. The going rate in Calif. for a wash/press is about $35, so she's def. getting up there. (She charges $40) But I will be tipping her $8 bucks now (that's 20%)

My last stylist I always tipped her $10 regardless of the srevice. On the other hand my mother tips her $20-$25 and recieves all this special treatment and her hair looks fabulous and is super healthy. Mine just got damaged. I wonder if it had anything to do with the tip? Ater reading all of your post I think I will tip my next stylist $5 and never let my mother know who I'm going to.

I don't have a stylist that I go to on the regular, but the last one that I went to on the regular, I never tipped her because the money I paid for my hair went into her pocket anyway. She paid booth rent, so she could charge whatever prices she wanted and it's not like she charged $35 for a touch-up or something cheap like that, so I never tipped her. But then, she started pissing me off. She would charge me $55 for a service. And then she would tell me, "It's actually supposed to be $60, but I'mma charge you that." So, I felt kinda bad, and I gave her the extra 5, and she smiled and thanked me. Then she did the exact same mess on the very next visit!
blush.gif
That's when I caught on. She was trying to make me feel bad, although she was the one charging me the prices. If you're going to charge somebody something, don't charge them and then make them feel all guilty and tell them what it should've been. She didn't do that on the next visit after those 2 episodes, considering on the second one, I ain't give her the extra $5, but I ended leaving her because of my disgust for that and other reasons.

As for anybody else, if I am not "wowed" by a service, I simply don't tip. I am rarely "wowed." But, I went to one stylist who never "wowed" me, but she was cheap compared to other stylists in the area, so I didn't mind tipping her every now and then. A couple of bucks, never more than $5. The money went in her pocket as well, and the hair salon was in her husband's mother's house basement. (hated that place. I shouldn't have tipped her at all, now that I think about it)

I feel better about tipping those who don't get to pocket the entire amount of money, you know the ones that have to report their earnings, and they only get a percentage of what they made for that time period. The ones who get to keep the entire amount, and simply pay booth rent, well, I never feel bad if I choose not to tip them, since they get to pocket the entire amount of money, everytime someone pays them.

Call me el cheapo, but that's how I'm living.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
if I'm paying them $78.50 for a touchup, that ought to include the tip anyway!!

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU KNOW !!

Tip, I give them tip, learn to do what the customer ask.
laugh.gif

I'm just playin

I do usually tip $5 as well, and I'm thinking that's too much

Elliot.. You know we stayed at the Grand Hyatt in NYC (42nd St)

Room service was $21 for 2 eggs and toast.

THAT's 2 EGGS AND TOAST...
shocked.gif

And they want to add gratutiy plus the expect you to tip the deliverer?

The tip thing is waaay out of line.

hell noo u aint cheap. For a wash and set which is about $16 i tip $2/$3. For a perm which is about $35/$40 i tip $5.

when i have money, i'll give my stylist 10 and the shampoo girl 5. if i'm broke, i try to still give the shampoo girl 5 (cuz shampoo girls are broke, they don't make no money). my stylist, tho, went waaaaaayyyyyy up on her prices (from $65 to $110 for a perm
shocked.gif
). so, no tip for her...and no in-between visits either.

[ QUOTE ]
my stylist, tho, went waaaaaayyyyyy up on her prices (from $65 to $110 for a perm
shocked.gif
). so, no tip for her...and no in-between visits either.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT?? No tip at all??!! Yikes!!
shocked.gif

Well I must be the worst... if I get a relaxer, depending on how it turns out, the most I'll tip is $5 - usually i leave $4. Any other service (ie. wash, set) they get either $2 or $3 from me and that's it. For the prices these salons charge now, they better be glad i don't leave them a real tip, like, don't drink and drive...

Henrilou, do not feel bad cuz i definitely feel you. I went to this salon for the first time and the stylist charged me $50 for a wash/blowdry/curl. I almost fell over.
So heck no, I'm not tipping nor am I ever going back there, when they charge these ludicrous amounts for their services.

Okay now I am ROLLIN'. My grandmother always said that "our people are cheap" Now I don't know if she meant 'only our people' (meaning all the ones related to HER) OR our people in general.... But honestly I kind of went around my caucasian co-workers (4 girls) and they tip HEAVY. I mean they get color and cuts for like 80 bucks and tip on average about $20. I couldn't see myself handing over a $20 tip... Maybe bc I go more often I feel like I don't need to get out-of-hand with the tip thing.
Just as a side-note-- if I paid anything over $75 for a relaxer I would ASSUME the tip was included. please.

Back